Tasman Bridge pedestrian/bike lanes

master6

Re: Tasman Bridge pedestrian/bike lanes

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:58 pm

mcdurdin wrote:No idea what point needs to be proven... And yes, I'm sure that my response would be completely ignored by A. Garvey of Montrose even if they happened to stumble across my blog. But I just wanted to vent :-) I wasn't wearing lycra at the time I wrote the blog post. But I'm about to put some on now for the commute home. Have a great weekend!
Dont go yet mcdurdin. I doubt that you are in fact about to step into the lycra, just as I am not using a biro when I scribble with my ball point pen on this paper beside me. Most cycling gear is not lycra. :D :D

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Elastane, spandex, Elaspan, Creora, ROICA, Dorlastan, Linel, ESPA or Lycra, they all boil down to the same badly mixed metaphor: a red rag to an aggro driver.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Elastane, spandex, Elaspan, Creora, ROICA, Dorlastan, Linel, ESPA or Lycra, they all boil down to the same badly mixed metaphor: a red rag to an aggro driver.
You and I know that, but it does give an opportunity to point out an error on the part of those who seem to want to see us constantly "in error".

The fat motorists are wearing more than their share of any kind of fabric :D :D

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 pm

master6 wrote:You and I know that, but it does give an opportunity to point out an error on the part of those who seem to want to see us constantly "in error".
Oh, and apparently in the USA, 80% of clothing sold contains at least some lycra (aka spandex over there). Not sure what the proportion is in Australia... :D

But as Shakespeare said, "a MAMIL by any other name would still be in the bloody way". ;-)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Lycra = knicks

Polyester = jerseys, fleece, most other road tops.

Back in the early days of the new generation of synthetic cycling clothing (early 80s) there were some road jerseys on the market that were made of lycra. They were positively 'orrible rubber-wear :| :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:53 am

I am uncertain as to why sarcastics keep bleating about Lycra. We at least participate when wearing some.

Many football fans dress in team colours just to watch the activity. :roll: :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 am

It's the association with some kind of kinky dungeon-master creep.... of course that association which they dredge up is only a reflection of the perverted nature of their own minds :mrgreen:

Me, I only want to ride my bike.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 am

il padrone wrote: ...
Yes, but I do like lycra :wink:

Cheers
JM

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

johnm_oz wrote:

Cheers
JM
To swing the discussion back to the thread subject, I suggest that very thin clothing be worn on the Tasman Bridge bike/walk way. Those who have seen it will readily understand the logic here.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 pm

master6 wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:

Cheers
JM
To swing the discussion back to the thread subject, I suggest that very thin clothing be worn on the Tasman Bridge bike/walk way. Those who have seen it will readily understand the logic here.
Yeh, certainly nothing loose/ flappy.

I hate those 'k'n winches.

Cheers
JM

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I was chatting to another commuter this morning and it appears there was a rather nasty collision on the bike path of the bridge this morning.

I hope everyone involved is ok....

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm

One rider was late arriving for the Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride this morning, due to emergency vehicles on the bridge attending this mishap.

I am very sorry to hear that people have been injured, and I might have to eat my words, but I cant help but ask how this could happen without one participant (at least) being seriously at fault.
Last edited by master6 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inverS

Postby inverS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

My wife mentioned it to me this morning. She was worried it was me, and went to contact me. Just as she was going to, she say my checkin through facebook proving I was somewhere else...tech win there.

Hope all concerned are ok...from what she has heard the person was on the path but still managed to end up on the road :(

RobertF

Postby RobertF » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:42 pm

One of the cyclists was my husband he will post a reply when feeling a bit better

docca

Postby docca » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am

Hope all involved are up and in the saddle soon. Not looking forward to crossing bridge on the paths to attend the century ride.
I think maybe that biketas are trying to highlight the dangers of using the pathways on the bridge. Also not too keen on the teeth rattling foreshore track that they intend to use to finish the ride :(

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 am

we always use the southen side, the view down the bridge seems to be more open, & take it quite slow.....
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 pm

bazsand wrote:we always use the southen side, the view down the bridge seems to be more open, & take it quite slow.....
Coming in from Sorell, I use the south side. Heading back out to Sorell, I find both sides inconvenient when you get to the east end.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 am

RobertF wrote:One of the cyclists was my husband he will post a reply when feeling a bit better
Not good, wish him well from a concerned community member, hope he's not too bad and will bounce back quickly.

Be interested to hear the broad outline, to add to my mental 'what to watch out for' 's

Cheers
JM