Open triathlon training blog

Ken Ho

Re: Open triathlon training blog

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 am

I wandered along to the Kingy Tri, wife's BFF,s husband was in it. We had just got back from Canada the day before, so I was not organized to do anything myself, but I was motivated to go home a do a decent ride.
Wifelet has been sick with ciguatera poisoning, so I've not been training enough. Have done a few good rides this week though. Back up to Gladstone next week, so I'll get back into it there, as I have time and facilities.
It was a nice day at Kingscliff, and I agree, it's a nice venue.
You have officially become your parents.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Ciguetera poisoning, ugh. Still, those reef fish do taste great.

I'm doing a few gentle training things: did a gentle 4.5km yesterday (22min) and belted out a 1.5 x 20min set on the bike (it was supposed to be a 2 x 20min interval set, but I got a back strain half way through the second half, and bailed out). Averaged 33kph for the first 10km which is my fastest yet (I think).

Heading to the pool after work tonight. Off to Sydney for the weekend: work conference. I will pack my running shoes, but I am not sure I will get a chance to do anything much down there.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Finally back in the pool, and finally feel I am making progress with swimming
I need to build my arm endurance, so I have just been doing pull buoy. I did 2 km yesterday, without stopping, which is akin to a moon landing for me.
Now I need to consolidate that. If I can convert that to proper freestyle over the next month, I might consider entering the half-iron in Cairns. I have committed to being there for the RRR MTB race, and plan on doing some decent social rides in the area while I'm there.
If I can convince myself to do three decent sessions a week, I have half a chance of completing the swim. After that the ride is a cinch and I'll struggle through the run somehow, even if I crawl. Actually, they don't allow crawling. Bugger.....

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:41 am

Plugged my way through 2km at the pool again yesterday, so that's my new standard. I was up all night with some bloke with a bashed in head, so I was a bit tired, but tired is not an excuse, so I sucked it up. Left shoulder is playing up a little, have to get on to some exercises for that. Not quite ready to drop the cash to register for the half-iron yet, but im starting to think it may be possible.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Broke the 1km mark for the first time in the pool this morning. Pretty happy considering i've only been swimming for ~2 months.

Also did Tough Mudder on the weekend, doubling my longest ever run.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Gunlock wrote:Broke the 1km mark for the first time in the pool this morning. Pretty happy considering i've only been swimming for ~2 months.

Also did Tough Mudder on the weekend, doubling my longest ever run.
Well done. My swimming is improving, but not even vaguely near strong. It takes so much effort for even modest improvements. Och weel, if it were easy, every scunner would be doing it.
I'm interested in events like the Tugh Mudders, but not organized enough.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Rode Brisbane to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast on Good Friday, took a bit over four and a half hours, to cover 115km, for a rolling average of 25kph. Would have been better, but I ended up riding and even walking quite a bit of the way on back trails due to very narrow / absent road shoulders between Caboolture and Landsborough. There is an open water swim in Caloundra on 28 April, but I haven't registered, and haven't started training properly either. Also a looong time since I have been out running. Hmm... Slackness has set in.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

Good week so far.
80 km cycle on Monday.
2 km swim Tuesday.
30 km fast ride on Wednesday.
Yesterday I did a 25 km cycle, then 2 km swim then 25km cycle home, both rides had decent hills.
Swim is starting to come together, so give it another couple of weeks, and I'm going to pony up the registration fee for the Cairns Half Iron. It's 8 weeks away, so I have that long to convert a pool training swim into an open ocean completion. Wish me luck with that.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Good work with your triaining Ken. All the best with the Cairns half iron man!

I'm making some progress with my swimming too, in the past 3months I've gone from:
Day 1 -1st triathlon had to get rescued at the first buoy 50m out :oops: decide to start training :lol:
Day 30 - Can swim 500m in a pool taking 2min break between each lap.
Day 60 - Can swim 800m in a pool taking 1min break between each lap.
Day 90 - Can swim 1100m in a pool taking 30sec break between each lap.

Not sure how I'll go with a tri in 3weeks which is 400m.. Hopefully I won't be too exhausted for the run!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, swimming is hard and progress comes slowly to those of us who did not do the squad thing as kids.
School swimming for us was a very casual affair. At present, I am doing 2 km with a pull buoy without stopping. When I give up the buoy and kick, I use more oxygen, and have trouble not losing my breath. That's the bit I have to work on next. Giving up the floaty. Maybe I can find some inflatable shorts.
I'm yet to go in a formal event, so I may be completely delusional about everything yet.
I'll need to look at nutrition too.
Luckily, the bke ride is an easy distance for me, one I do frequently.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:40 am

Have you tried much open water swimming? I notice you're at southern gc - have you tried the lagoon between Palm beach and currumbin? To track distance the garmin 910xt would help. I picked one up from rebel sport for $350 with hr monitor (although hr can't be used swimming). It's been awesome tracking running and cycling with it too.

How many strokes per breath are you taking out of interest? I think this is my downfall at the moment - not having the mental discipline to grab a pool buoy, focus on the slow release and dump of breath, and increase my stroke per breath count. This can be my goal for next week :)

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:41 am

I use alternate breathing most of the time. So, 3 strokes per breath, alternating left and right. I find this keeps me balanced, and prevents neck strain or over-using one side. I sometimes go to breathing on every second stroke, but it's less comfortable. I'm not fast, and I never will be so for me it's all about finding a pace I can sustain.
I did not have the endurance in my arms, so I went to the pull buoy just to build that. Now I can do 2 km continuously without stopping, which takes me about 50 mins, so I have definitely improved there. I'm not short-winded doing that. My cardio performance has definitely improved while I've been doing that too. I notiiced a big gain during some hill climbing a few days ago.
I will progressively transition to swimming with no aids over the next few weeks. If I keep training regularly, there is no good reason why I should not be able to do that.
I have tried swimming at Currumbin, but the tide pushes really hard there, which makes it either too hard, or too easy.
There is a social group that does ocean swims at Byron, which I need to get networked with.
I have just needed to do some hard yards in the pool first, aand I've been away in the Central West working, so it's pools or nothing out there.
The swim in Cairns is laps of some buoys off Yorkey's Knob, so presumably that should be fairly slack water. They check for crocodiles first. Maybe if they left some in there, I would swim faster.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Massive milestone today.
Swam 3.8km, with pull buoy, without a break.
Nominating for my first Tri tonight, Cairns HIM, on the basis of that effort.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 am

And today, I can't move my arms.

Scarlet

Postby Scarlet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello Fellas,

Just getting back into Triathlons again after almost 2 years of nothing. Been back in training for a couple of months now and can start to feel some fitness coming back. Have a 5km fun run this weekend.....can't wait!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:19 pm

2km open water swim, 50km on the bike, 10km on my feet, alt walk/run.

Cairns HIM in 5/52. Ned to work on my running.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am

vbplease wrote:Day 1 -1st triathlon had to get rescued at the first buoy 50m out :oops: decide to start training :lol:
Update:
Day 110 - Can swim 1500m in a pool taking 18sec break between each lap.

Not getting tired after 1500m which is great, so 2km shouldn't be a problem. Just need to fix my bilateral breathing.. I'm sure I won't need breaks after each lap to catch my breath then :oops:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Good progress on the swimming. You are ready to ditch the breaks.
I did my first 70.3 a few days go. Had a ball. The swim was actually pretty easy, and I held my place in the pack. Swimming in a pack in rough open water is totally different to pool swimming. I only did ocean swims in the last two weeks, with variable conditions, including rough onshore, and some big swell. That was very valuable, taught me to sight, how to cop a breath of water and survive and how to settle back into a rhythm after getting beat up.
Wetsuit makes a big difference. I'd be stuffed without it.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:02 am

I just entered the Mooloolaba tri for next March. Registration is printed out and pinned to wall next to my computer screen to remind me to get back into the pool!! Been into the pool twice in the past 3months.. :cry:

Looking forward to the challenge :twisted:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 am

After a looong break from the pool I'm back in and feeling good - my increased running fitness has improved my swimming :) Making the 2km quite comfortably, but still need constant breaks to catch my breath. Just trying to get the endurance into the arms at the moment.
Knocked off 3minutes on yesterdays swim and down to 52mins.. my goal is under 40mins by Christmas :)

How is everyone else's training going??

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Well, after Cairns, I decreased teh intensity of training quite a bit, then got sick with a flu for a month.
getting back into it now. Have done a couple of ocean swims this week, and a few decent rides, as well as Mt Warning.
Have seen a good physio about my gammy leg and have a great conditioning programme which is really working. Not running much on it yet, but when I do, there is no pain.
I'm in for the full IM Cairns, so am looking at just really hardening up over the next six months, before digging into proper training for it in summer and autumn.
BIg difference between a half and a full, and I'll need all the concrete I can consume.
I'm going to do the Kingy OD tri in November too, so I have to learn to swim without a wettie.

hattown

Postby hattown » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:24 am

vbplease wrote:
vbplease wrote:Day 1 -1st triathlon had to get rescued at the first buoy 50m out :oops: decide to start training :lol:
Update:
Day 110 - Can swim 1500m in a pool taking 18sec break between each lap.

Not getting tired after 1500m which is great, so 2km shouldn't be a problem. Just need to fix my bilateral breathing.. I'm sure I won't need breaks after each lap to catch my breath then :oops:

Glad too see you didn't give up. Hows the progress? I couldn't swim 50m all that long ago, then could do 1000m non-stop after just 4 days and it only gets better from there, as stupid as this might sound, I googled swim techneques, on youtube, I found Total immersion swimming. If you go to youtube, the videos are by tiswim, if you start with part 1 - How to 'Work Less, Swim Better' there's about 9 videos in that series, and then he has other series videos too....

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Swimming is very much a pacing exercise when beginning. everyone thinks they can keep a quicker pace than they really can.

I have done 3km straight, but if I do a hard set of 5 x 200m then I am stuffed. If you are looking to get distance up make a really conscious effort to take it easy and make sure you are breathing fully.

I am currently training for Shepparton 70.3 (11 weeks away) which will then roll into Melbourne IM. Weekend just passed was a 24km run on Saturday then a 90km ride on Sunday, next few weeks should see the bike ramp up to 120km rides and if I can find time some bricks off that.

Swim wise I have been more speed focussed but a few long swims are showing a bit of promise.

Have done near enough 6 hours the last 2 years at Shepparton, aiming to at least go sub 5:45 this year!

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm

just began my training (officially) on friday! entered in the coffs harbour triathlon (march 3rd). thus far:

friday: 55km ride
saturday: 2km swim
sunday: 12km run [morning] 70km ride [arvo]
monday: 10km run
tuesday: 11km run (planned)
wednesday: rest!

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:43 pm

hattown wrote:Glad too see you didn't give up. Hows the progress? I couldn't swim 50m all that long ago, then could do 1000m non-stop after just 4 days and it only gets better from there, as stupid as this might sound, I googled swim techneques, on youtube, I found Total immersion swimming. If you go to youtube, the videos are by tiswim, if you start with part 1 - How to 'Work Less, Swim Better' there's about 9 videos in that series, and then he has other series videos too....
Thanks for the tips. I watched a few TI youtube clips a while ago and forgot about them.. will get back into them. My times are still coming down :) but my technique still needs improving!