Water and nature breaks on Old Pacific Hwy

newie

Water and nature breaks on Old Pacific Hwy

Postby newie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 am

I am planning to ride from my parents place in Glenhaven this Sunday through Galston Gorge and up the Old Pacific Hwy. How far I go up will depend on how I am feeling, but it could be as far as the Gosford turn off. Are there any suggestions for places to get water and take a rest stop once I am beyond Berowra? I am girl, so it is less easy to find an tree that offers sufficient privacy for a nature break.

simonn

Re: Water and nature breaks on Old Pacific Hwy

Postby simonn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 am

There is a tap on the eastern side of the Old Pac in Cowan in the reserve in the centre of this map.

Other than that you have Pie In The Sky just before the descent to Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a few km off the hwy. The Mount White Cafe is closed (unless it has reopened in the past 2-3 weeks), so there is nothing on the hwy from Pie until probably Gosford in the central coast basin, the Corrugated Cafe at Peats Ridge or Sommersby.

So fill up at the tap I mentioned or Pie (no, really, fill up there) and perhaps take a spare bottle in a jersey pocket. I filled up at the tap a few weeks ago and by the time I got to Kulnura I was almost on empty - and I was carrying 2x1L bidons.

As for toilets... Pie maybe. Being male a tree is preferable to most public toilets :lol:.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:35 am

I've ridden from Berowra to the Calga turn off (30km each way), and there's nothing apart from Pie in the Sky since the Mt White cafe closed down. Can't think of anything between Calga and Kariong either.

Are you carrying 1 bottle or 2 on your bike? I only had 1 750ml bottle for the 60km trip and I was out by the end. Have since fitted a second cage to my bike.

If you're really stuck, the Mooney Workers club (just off the hwy on the northern side of the Hawkesbury river) might be able to help out, depending on the time, and it's also a flatish though somewhat narrow ride into brooklyn to replenish supplies before the climb back to pie in the sky.

Cheers,
Dave

newie

Postby newie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks guys. I have 600 ml and 750 ml bottles on the bike. With a small frame it can be a bit awkward getting anything bigger out, especially for the cage on the seat tube. I probably wouldn't want to go further than 50kms without a refill. Another bottle in the jersey might have to be the go.Especially as lately I have been getting headaches on longer rides, so am making a special effort to drink plenty. Hence the need for frequent rest stops.

I have a nice loop I do around Newcastle here which has plenty of taps and public loos. I would really like to explore some new routes for a bit of variety, here and from my parents place, but the tap and toilet problem is one that puts me off a bit. I swear on an unfamiliar route I feel like I spend half my ride looking at the side of the road trying to find a patch of vegetation big and thick enough to preserve my dignity.

Unfortunately I might not get out tomorrow morning as I have come down with a bit of a cold. I might need to take it easy.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Newie,
here is a link to a website with a list of public accessible loos in Australia. not sure exactly where your ride is going so this may help.

if you want to find new rides, try MapmyRide

happy riding!

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Check in the girls' subforum, but I believe there are a number of devices that will fit discreetly in a jersey pocket and allow you some increased flexibility with regard to nature breaks. They aren't cycling-specific, but are marketed to female rock climbers, cross-country skiers and adventure racers and would cross over to fit your needs well.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 am

Don't know if you did the ride but just after you cross the Hawkesbury River bridge there's a left hand turn off. Don't take it immediately but look around, up and off to the left, almost straight ahead there's a truck stop for people on the freeway heading south. You can zip up the exit road (against the minimal traffic flow) or get off and stretch your legs & walk to use the toilet and refill water there. Alternatively I think if you go under the freeway there may be one over the other side too.

Just before you get into Mt White there's a big RTA information sign over the road, to the left of the sign is an easy 'nature break' area. It's off the road and a bit better off in terms of privacy. I have heard of a thing called a shewee that could stop the shrubbery tickling. :roll:

If you get desperate you could probably stop in at the Reptile Park at Somersby but the next pitstop pretty much is a servo at Kariong.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

newie

Postby newie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for that FoM. On the drive down I was looking at that rest stop on the north side of the river and was wondering if it was possible to get across from the old highway. I didn't do the ride this weekend, as I am still under the weather. But I will definitely give it a go sometime down the track. I need to work on long hilly rides and I think this will fit the bill. Ended up driving through Galston Gorge on Sunday morning and was so jealous of the the cyclists out on a beautiful day.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

At the time you wrote that newie, I was riding past the spot thinking "how could I describe this better". Me and a mate rode Berowra station to Gosford last night in 2 hours despite the wind.

There's the freeway and heading south there's an offramp to the truckstop which then rejoins the freeway. Also the offramp has a left turn which joins onto the old highway. The old highway only has an exit which leads to the freeway to head to Sydney. Seeing as though the truckstop is on the north side, you have to use your discretion as to riding up there. I wouldn't in a car as it is technically illegal, but have ridden up there on the side of the road - there wasn't any traffic coming my way at the time.

If you like long hilly stuff, you'll just adore the old Highway from Berowra to Gosford, ok maybe a love/hate relationship is more in order.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Lestep

Postby Lestep » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Any word on the Mt White café reopening?

I'm sitting at Pie in the Sky right now - dismayed to read that my motivational landmark to keep going north has closed. Joyous ride up to Mt White, & it feels like you're in a Mad Max film. Road Warriors café was chockers with character.

Steve

joomz

Postby joomz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I rode Mt White yesterday. The cafe was open! I was in a rush to get to Gosford before the rain started, so I didn't stop there for long, but good to know there's a stop. I didn't take note of the opening times etc sorry.