Idiots on Anzac Highway

PA

Idiots on Anzac Highway

Postby PA » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:07 pm

This morning at 7:40 I saw a group of cyclist between 60 and 80 strong heading towards Glenelg. As they approached Morphett Road the lights started to change. The first 20 or so riders made it through the intersection during the Amber light. Some rides sped up to race the lights whilst some some who where in the left of the group did the correct thing and stopped for the Red light. Unfortunately around 20 riders ran the Red and the Red Light Camera went into overdrive. Our lights to head north along Morphett Road had turned Green as some riders were still crossing the white line. The cars waiting did wait for the cyclists to cross but it could have been such a different outcome.

Unfortunately those 20 or so riders who should have stopped have painted the rest of the cyclist not only in that group but all of us as selfless idiots. And we wonder why some drivers don't give consideration to cyclist when some ride like that.
Mouse magnet

Fresh

Re: Idiots on Anzac Highway

Postby Fresh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 am

Registration plates would have sorted that lot out.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Whilst large numbers of cyclists flout basic road rules and common sense, worst being running red lights and signalling intention to turn, we make ourselves easy targets.
Certified Brand Snob

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Well its good testing for the camera (it only got installed like 2 weeks ago)

How fast were they going? its is pretty damn hard to stop a group of 50 cyclists safely at 40km/hr+

PA

Postby PA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

They would have been going around 40.

The last third had no problems stopping. If the riders are too close as the are approaching the lights at speed they should open the gaps a little to allow them time to react to the rider in front. Sorry no sympathy from me if it had gone pear shaped for them.

That Red Light Camera has been there awhile I think.
Mouse magnet

alex

Postby alex » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am

would be mega bike, probably 40 group (normally the biggest)

that ride is getting out of hand, a lot of good engines but very little experience

management of mega bike couldnt care less either, don't shop there if you don't approve of their ridiculous ride
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

shiv

Postby shiv » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36 pm

I doubt it was their 40k group, the slower groups are very responsibly ridden, and they wait up for riders caught out by lights or roundabouts etc.

I'd bet my bike it was the fast bunch. That one is almost as hectic as a race, due to the guys joining in that dont really have the legs to do it. Too many guys that belong in 45 group but wanna ride with the big boys create havoc by not wanting to get dropped and therefore running red lights to keep up. Ive been in this group a number of times and its quite scary coming up to lights, at 50-55kph, knowing they could well change. The guy next to/behind you could be struggling a bit and will take the risk of running a light to keep up, or alternatively jump on the brakes when there is plenty of time to legally cross on yellow.

Basically there is one group that is a bit out of control, and I'm fairly certain mega bike management are trying to solve the problem if they can. I guess its hard to control everyone in a bunch like that, short of grading each rider as in a race meeting. It comes down to people realising they are out of their depth and riding within their abilities, leave your ego at the door boys

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 pm

the owner of mega bike has absolutely no place telling other people how to ride in a bunch

he is a hazard to himself and to those around him
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm

If the ride is in his name and people are carrying on like prats he has every right. It's his name and reputation that is out there.
Certified Brand Snob

alex

Postby alex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 am

my experience has been the opposite

well behaved smooth/smart bunches until he appears in them mid ride

i actually gave him a mouthful not too long ago after he was trying to call instructions from the back (which some people listened to for unknown reasons) and nearly had half a dozen riders cleaned up by a truck

won't be doing that ride again

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Fair enough Alex, I have not done the ride and have no intention as the press is poor. Too big a group and too many aggressive riders I hear. I'm all for a competetive ride but not at the expense of each others safety.
Certified Brand Snob

alex

Postby alex » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:33 am

it is a shame that the ride is such a mess because there are not many other opportunities to regularly ride a rolling paceline at a good pace

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Lemmings!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:18 pm

There's a time and there's a place, and suburban roads with traffic lights are neither for that kind of behaviour. We have laws to discourage that kind of behaviour from drivers for a reason; bikes are no different.

shiv

Postby shiv » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Once the ride reaches military road its fine, there is only the west lakes boulevard lights to contend with. Its just getting from Hyde Park to the beach area that is the problem. And yes it is a decent ride if the few bad eggs dont show up, not often you can ride an organised 45kph pace line for 30kms or so.

Like I said earlier, people just need to ride in a group that isnt beyond their limits and half the issues would be gone