Orange, NSW

silkishuge

Orange, NSW

Postby silkishuge » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi,
I am currently looking at a locaton and job change and Orange, NSW might be a possible location. I had considered it before and may have posted up something like this before but I can't find the thread. I just wanted to have a chat with some cyclist type people who live around the area and find out more about what I might be getting into. If we move, it will probably be around mid 2012.
If you do live around the area and are keen to help, please drop me a pm.

Thanks for reading
Cheers,
Jon

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Orange, NSW

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:05 pm

The BNSW Orange Discovery Weekend is in March. That might be a good way to see what cycling is like in Orange.
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 13&t=47438

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The BNSW Orange Discovery Weekend is in March. That might be a good way to see what cycling is like in Orange.
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 13&t=47438
Yup, I was going to do that but I am also concern with other aspects of Orange such as security, crime, what the people are like, maybe racism (since I am Asian), general cost of living, doctors and schools etc.....

Jon

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 pm

My uncle has a farm out there. Great place, quite and laid back is what I have experienced. Also I rode there for 3 weeks during my holidays, was amazing. x100 better than sydney in term of crazy drivers :-)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:37 am

It's freezing. One of the coldest places in NSW.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:57 am

rogan wrote:It's freezing. One of the coldest places in NSW.
Agree, with one rider - Lithgow makes Orange look warm :-)
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 am

rogan wrote:It's freezing. One of the coldest places in NSW.
Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping there might be some cyclist on this forum who lived in Orange. I wanted to know abit more of life in Orange.

Our other option would be Mackay, but I am concerned about the last floods they had and also the heat. I shy from heat.

Jon

taytom

Postby taytom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Jon,

I moved to Orange about 18 months ago so can give you some advise. I'll start with the positives.

The local cycling club is growing (35 official members + social riders) and caters for most levels. We have a website but I believe it is currently down due to virus so keep looking as it should be up again soon. Very friendly group with some real characters which makes bunch riding entertaining. Typical Saturday bunch rides finish at the local coffee shop. Mid week morning rides do happen but you need to get in contact with the club and get to know a few guys. Racing happens over summer on every second or third saturday afternoon along with Wednesday night handicap training ride (race). Friday night track riding does happen in Bathurst (who has a much larger club).

RE: your comments "also concern with other aspects of Orange such as security, crime, what the people are like, maybe racism (since I am Asian), general cost of living, doctors and schools etc....."

Population of 40k. Mining is booming due to gold mine near town and lots of new development. Rental shortage still remains due to supply/demand of mine meaning higher rental costs. Like all towns there are some issues crime (only in certain areas), no real racism to speak of. Orange has become a very good food and wine region over the last few years and several very good resturants. It is a major health centre due to large town, new $200m hospital so very good doctors etc.

Now the negative - As some have already stated, it is cold in the winter months!!!! (and some summer months). It was actually 3 degrees in the morning only 2 weeks ago (it is a cold and wet season in Sydney as well). It is incredibly hard to keep up the motivation to keep riding over winter. It is typically negative temperature in the morning during winter rides so long clothes, heavy gloves, thermals are all a must as cold temp + wind chill = very cold!! I have really struggled to keep riding over winter the last 2 winters since moving here.

I highly recommend people come to Orange for a weekend away, bring you bike for a ride, go and visit a few wineries, book dinner in town and you will have a good weekend.

P.s. I have no affiliation with the local tourist centre.

Kate N

Postby Kate N » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for info about Orange, however, here is a little info from a female perspective in case you still are (interested) and have a significant other of the female variety. First of all, I do cycle, though not with the club (I have a child and have trouble finding care when the cycle club meets) so I just cycle on my own or with a friend when we can find the time (at the same time). I have lived in Orange all of my life, apart from a few years spent in Melbourne a couple of years ago. I have a little boy (15 months) and think that Orange is a great place for children. There are some amazing places around, if you dare to venture off the beaten track. If you have children, register on childcare lists NOW, I am a day care mummy and our wait list is as long as four of my arms (and my arms are pretty long ;-S). Hospital is new and care is O.K. though my last visit to the ED with my son gave me some new hope, wait time was long (arrived at 10pm left at 2am) but when I finally saw the doctor he was fabulous, he actually took the time to listen to me rather than rushing me out the door (perhaps he was the exception to the rule, but I was impressed none the less). If you or your partner are in to water sports (I kayak) there are some wonderful places about, for the more casual "water sporter" Lake Canobolas hires out kayaks and even paddle boats at times I believe. Camping and fishing areas are around, though like most of the other interesting stuff they are, as I said before 'off the beaten track'. As a whole, crime rate is relatively low, as someone already mentioned there are some not-so-nice areas around but as long as you steer clear you shouldn't have any trouble. Town is full of miners (of the gold kind) which I personally don't think is a bad thing, but rent is quite high. Awesome cafe's and restaurants, some in the town itself, others in the surrounding towns, Millthorpe restaurants are fabulous (some good cycling out that way too). Beautiful parks and reserves, awesome hiking/walking trails, particularly around the mountain and also Ophir. Canobolas Forestry has some amazing spots as well. Shopping is not so good, but I'm not a huge shopper anyway, although there are some nice 'boutiquey' shops in the city and surrounds. Wine is good and I love my wine :-) Some of the wineries hold degustation evenings which are expensive but well worth it. Food is good, farmers markets are held once a month and food week is fantastic (next month I believe).

So... there you have it, Orange from a female perspective.

Kate

P.S. It's not that cold... :-| Plus, there's snow!!!! :-)

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Kate,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We have just arrived and are living in Molong. We felt that Orange was still too busy for our liking and Molong was near enough to Orange to make it convenient. Rent in Molong is also much cheaper than Orange and we might be looking to buy a place when settlement is complete on our home in Sydney.
My wife made her way up to Orange yesterday to do a bit of shopping. She had to do most of it at Harris Farms, which is not too bad. We were hoping to find some fruits and vegetables from local producers but were unable to locate any.
We were also looking for an Asian grocer but she was also unable to locate one yesterday.

I went on my first bike ride this morning. I took a ride from Molong to Cumnock, which was a nice bike ride with no trucks and few cars who overtook with care. I have yet to commute to work by bike, but I am thinking of starting next week when I am more settled in to work and home. So far, I am loving it and thank God for the opportunity.

Hope to see you pedaling around some time. Thanks for the warning about child care. I think Mrs S will be a fulltime mum for a while and we would probably do it in Molong rather than Orange.

If you don't mind, could you please send me a PM (private message) regarding the less deisrable Orange neighbouhoods to live in?

Thanks again.

Jon

thepj

Postby thepj » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Hey is there anyone in orange who works shift work like me and is interested in busting out on a few rides when shifts permit?? i find it hard to get out with the fellas that ride on saturdays since its often not a option. i usually do either airport loop or pinnicale loop.
2012 Merida Big Nine| 2011 Merida Sculpture 904
"If it doesn't scare you, Its not heavy/steep Enough" - Unknown.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:22 pm

thepj wrote:Hey is there anyone in orange who works shift work like me and is interested in busting out on a few rides when shifts permit?? i find it hard to get out with the fellas that ride on saturdays since its often not a option. i usually do either airport loop or pinnicale loop.
What are shift work hours like?
They have rides during the week as well starting at around 5am. We do hill repeats up the mountain, down the mountain and up pinnical road, down pinnacle loop and up the mountain again. About two hours of up and down. That is the only other ride besides the Saturday ride I do with Orange Cycling Club because I live in Molong.
Jon

thepj

Postby thepj » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

i work 4 and 4 shifts 6-630, what days are these pinicale rides normaly? i've done pinnicale a few times wouldnt mind getting out there more often
2012 Merida Big Nine| 2011 Merida Sculpture 904
"If it doesn't scare you, Its not heavy/steep Enough" - Unknown.