Too much power?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Too much power?

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Image

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUq70oKIvQ&list=UUwIXNr1QTL3eu1_GKeOcjXQ&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCD4Z-DcqXw&list=UUwIXNr1QTL3eu1_GKeOcjXQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

SOOO close to going down... no damage done, managed to keep it up...
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

by BNA » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

BNA
 

Re: Too much power?

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Too much torque. That's what kills transmissions usually.

You broke a steel spindle. Sogood will be pleased...

What model was it?
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6649
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Well it is a power climb there :D ...especially if you want to make happy hour on the corner!.
Post a picture with correct exposure :P .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14404
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Too much power?

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Nate, you're a heavier rider, aren't you?
Also how many Kms on the BB?
Nobody
 
Posts: 6649
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby Parrott » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Nobody wrote:Nate, you're a heavier rider, aren't you?
Also how many Kms on the BB?


Stop looking for excuses and mitigating factors. Everyone knows steel is prone to failure at anytime and often catastrophically without warning :P Next thing you'l be having us believe Brooks Saddles are comfortable :roll: :mrgreen:
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Too much power?

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Very pleased you didn't get hurt.

Was it a one-legged pedal the rest of the way home ? Have seen a disabled guy doing this around the flats at Kyeemagh/Wolli Creek, can we assume a fit and able Nate would have pedaled it home ?

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Too much power?

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:11 pm

92kgs...
It was a $300 cell single speed... had about 1000-1500k's i guess? weekly commuter 100k's a week & i treat it with respect.
The stock plastic pedals normally take 2 weeks to crack

Its a cheap POS bike, but i'm starting to call "not fit for purpose"...
Image
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: Too much power?

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Psst! Don't say anything about the stair-jumps you've been doing on your way home from work :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18505
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Too much power?

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Parrott wrote:Stop looking for excuses and mitigating factors. Everyone knows steel is prone to failure at anytime and often catastrophically without warning :P Next thing you'l be having us believe Brooks Saddles are comfortable :roll: :mrgreen:

+1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, glad you (Nate) weren't hurt. Congratulations on joining TLL on the high altar! But your spectacular "show-off" in front of the bus shelter crowd made me a tad suspicious. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16968
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Too much power?

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm

That's a fatigue crack, except for the shiny bit down the bottom, which was the last bit to let go.

Not good after such a short distance. No odd noies or creaking before the failure?

Good save and glad there was nothing behind you!
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10335
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Fact is, a $300 bike was never made for a power rider like Nate. I call it bike abuse! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16968
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Too much power?

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks Nate for the reply. :)

sogood wrote:
Parrott wrote:Stop looking for excuses and mitigating factors. Everyone knows steel is prone to failure at anytime and often catastrophically without warning :P Next thing you'l be having us believe Brooks Saddles are comfortable :roll: :mrgreen:

+1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: Yes, very funny. And of course I have an excuse. I don't defend all steel. You can make anything substandard for strength and durability, even in steel. Cell seem to have a history of "good value" bikes that fail when used as commuters. Eg:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17764
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17766

I suppose if you scape the bottom of the barrel for parts, you are going to get some failures long term.

It looks like the crack was propagating under the crank. To me, that is the most dangerous type of fault as you can't see the crack forming. Steerers have the same problem.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6649
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby m@ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 am

Nobody wrote:Thanks Nate for the reply. :)

sogood wrote:
Parrott wrote:Stop looking for excuses and mitigating factors. Everyone knows steel is prone to failure at anytime and often catastrophically without warning :P Next thing you'l be having us believe Brooks Saddles are comfortable :roll: :mrgreen:

+1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: Yes, very funny. And of course I have an excuse. I don't defend all steel. You can make anything substandard for strength and durability, even in steel. Cell seem to have a history of "good value" bikes that fail when used as commuters. Eg:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=17764
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 41&t=17766

I suppose if you scape the bottom of the barrel for parts, you are going to get some failures long term.

It looks like the crack was propagating under the crank. To me, that is the most dangerous type of fault as you can't see the crack forming. Steerers have the same problem.

Yes, they had a couple of dodgy batches of handlebars and steerers - 'bars were recalled (my bike - and Nate's roadie IIRC - were affected). I notice that they've ditched that manufacturer (Zoom) in favour of FSA on at least some bikes.

Nate, you should've converted the Team to SS! :wink:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: Too much power?

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 am

I break stuff all the time Nate, the number of timber steps and ladders on building sites and bike chains is a worry. Being 6'4" and 110kg will test anything so I'm guessing that the bike was in a price range not intended for the 92kg, power and use it's getting. My first road bike a Jamis was purchased because they warrant it for up to 140kg and I even managed to crack a weld on that. I buy Record and Dura Ace chains exclusively now.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
User avatar
Old and Rusty
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 am

Nice to see the guy at the bus stop showing concern for your wellbeing and safety Nate. Did not move a muscle... :roll:

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Too much power?

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am

trailgumby wrote:That's a fatigue crack, except for the shiny bit down the bottom, which was the last bit to let go.

Not good after such a short distance. No odd noies or creaking before the failure?

Good save and glad there was nothing behind you!


When you have a fatigue crack, the polished area is where the parts have been moving relative to each other and is the first bit that has let go, the crystalline surfaces mark where the last bit let go.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Too much power?

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 am

It doesn't matter how cheap the bike is . The fact is that a crank breaking is an unacceptable safety issue. Bike stores need to wake up to this because ultimately they bear the risk.
human909
 
Posts: 4895
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Too much power?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am

human909 wrote:It doesn't matter how cheap the bike is . The fact is that a crank breaking is an unacceptable safety issue. Bike stores need to wake up to this because ultimately they bear the risk.

Glad you pulled up safe from that one Nate and managed to stay upright. It's not the crank that broke, it's the BB axle that broke.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4622
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Too much power?

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am

Nate wrote:92kgs...
It was a $300 cell single speed... had about 1000-1500k's i guess? weekly commuter 100k's a week & i treat it with respect.
The stock plastic pedals normally take 2 weeks to crack

Its a cheap POS bike, but i'm starting to call "not fit for purpose"...
Image



Wow, I think we had those tiles in our old bathroom! :D
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: Too much power?

Postby philip » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 am

Did you pedal the rest of the way home one legged?
User avatar
philip
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Lane Cove, Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 am

twizzle wrote:
trailgumby wrote:That's a fatigue crack, except for the shiny bit down the bottom, which was the last bit to let go.

Not good after such a short distance. No odd noies or creaking before the failure?

Good save and glad there was nothing behind you!


When you have a fatigue crack, the polished area is where the parts have been moving relative to each other and is the first bit that has let go, the crystalline surfaces mark where the last bit let go.

Sorry, yes you're quite right and I got that arse-about. :oops:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10335
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Too much power?

Postby rkelsen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am

Nate wrote:Its a cheap POS bike, but i'm starting to call "not fit for purpose"...

I think you're right. That is really poor and disappointing component life. I'd take it back to Cell and see if they'll fix it under warranty.
Nate wrote:The stock plastic pedals normally take 2 weeks to crack

My cheapo commuter still has its original plastic pedals after 14 months and >10,000km... I'm heavier than you (and a masher).
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4341
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Too much power?

Postby Parrott » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:59 pm

norbs wrote:

Wow, I think we had those tiles in our old bathroom! :D


We had that carpet like that in the house we just sold. Good hard wearing stuff, just used to pill a fair bit :)
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Too much power?

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:58 pm

human909 wrote:It doesn't matter how cheap the bike is . The fact is that a crank breaking is an unacceptable safety issue...

Yes, steel explodes! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16968
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Too much power?

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:00 pm

philip wrote:Did you pedal the rest of the way home one legged?

Nate clearly has enough power but may get a muscular imbalance with too much one legged training. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16968
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], MickMelb



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit