Vote for Anna...

RonK

Vote for Anna...

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Premier Anna Bligh today promised to introduce a new dangerous driving law for the protection of cyclists if re-elected.

Would like to see a similar commitment from the other side...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rhubarb

Re: Vote for Anna...

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:07 am

Do you have any more info on that, eg link to the quote or policy detail etc?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 am

Rhubarb wrote:Do you have any more info on that, eg link to the quote or policy detail etc?
Nope, just her utterances on the news last night...

Edit: Well it wasn't hard to find. Here is the media release.

Here is the policy statement.

And here is the announcement:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB3fXPIZ ... r_embedded[/youtube]
Last edited by RonK on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am

Here is the link to the whole story.

I applaud the change to legislation but I think strict liability would be far more effective, and is what is needed. Motorists need to know that if they kill someone with a car they are guilty and will go to gaol just like any other murder.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Not that strict liability means anything of the sort, but yeah, this does nothing to solve the problem of the police being unwilling or unable to make out this sort of offence.

BTW there's a specific offence: causing death by dangerous driving. Something like that.

Max

Vote for Anna...

Postby Max » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:39 pm

I'd like to see current laws enforced before getting excited about a new law that won't be enforced.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Gee, a politician who has been in parliament since 1995, Premier of Qld since 2007, promises just before an election that if you vote for me, life will be better for you ...

How many bridges, railways, airports & other infrastructure have been promised in the lead-up to an election that never happen ?

Colour me cynical, but I will believe it when, or should I say if, it ever happens.

RonK

Vote for Anna...

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Perhaps, but what will the other side do to protect cyclists and promote safe cycling? Do they even have a policy?

Campbell Newman has always found votes in building roads and tunnels to funnel even more traffic into the city. The only politician from the right I've seen on a bike was Bruce Flegg.

I'm all ears Campbell.

Posted via Tapatalk

ekib

Postby ekib » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Comments,

as per previous posters,
- Election time promise, ...
- Weekend before Bike Week ...
and questions,
when and if the new law were introduced,

would it actually achieve anything ?
and
would it make cycling any better or safer?
and would it encourage more people to cycle?

Ekib
The End.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm

ekib wrote:Comments,

as per previous posters,
- Election time promise, ...
- Weekend before Bike Week ...
and questions,
when and if the new law were introduced,

would it actually achieve anything ?
and
would it make cycling any better or safer?
and would it encourage more people to cycle?

Ekib
I know there are issues with strict liability. None the less, if it's out there then people just know if they whack a ped or biker they are in trouble. Now they just SMIDSY their way out. :(

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

The timing is a gutter level insult to every cyclist who has been seriously injured or killed since she has been Premier.
If she just woke up that cyclists need protection, and that now is a good time to maybe act, well make a "promise", like no carbon tax, then she is the callous opportunistic wnkr I've always thought since she married her partner of 20+ years when Beattie made it clear he would stepping down.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm

PawPaw wrote:The timing is a gutter level insult to every cyclist who has been seriously injured or killed since she has been Premier.
If she just woke up that cyclists need protection, and that now is a good time to maybe act, well make a "promise", like no carbon tax, then she is the callous opportunistic wnkr I've always thought since she married her partner of 20+ years when Beattie made it clear he would stepping down.
So mate, can you tell us what you really think about her? :shock: Don't hold back. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Seems to be a bit of Politics being discussed here! :lol:

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I'll vote for Anna.

Problem is, I've been ineligible to vote up there since Joh left the building...

Ity mightn't be much and it might be late but at least it's something that might be able to be hawked around the other states.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm

The best thing about this announcement is that it suggests that cyclists have become electorally significant. The actual substance: not much there, for mine. Hey, you've got to start somewhere. I wonder what BQ,AGF,SCA etc make of this. Did any of them suggest it, for that matter?

heanous

Postby heanous » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 am

^^^ I don't think so, seems like an opportunistic feel good announcement conveniently delivered on the commencement of Bike Week here in Brisbane. Call me cynical, but I've heard enough 'announcements' and 'commitments' and 'delivering' from the current state govt to last me another lifetime.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:05 pm

high_tea wrote:The best thing about this announcement is that it suggests that cyclists have become electorally significant. The actual substance: not much there, for mine. Hey, you've got to start somewhere. I wonder what BQ,AGF,SCA etc make of this. Did any of them suggest it, for that matter?
MUARC suggested a look at strict liability a couple of years ago, and AGF got on board last month, when it was discussed here. Even BV begrudgingly acknowledged a need for more legal protection last week, so I think you're right; the ground is shifting and the wheels are groaning in to action. Even the discussion canvases the revolutionary concept that drivers might have responsibilities, as well as rights. :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm

What's your view on this, Womble ?? Is it a good step in your view? (Not your 1m rule I know)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Won't it be a step up from the current situation, where as long as the motorist doesn't hit you, or cause you to take action to avoid a collision, the police won't do anything apart from maybe speak to the driver? If there is a specific rule against reckless driving near cyclists, our video evidence may turn out to be a lot more effective.

I don't think there's any single magic bullet here. But surely a specific rule about driving recklessly near cyclists is one positive step in the right direction? On its own it won't make a significant difference but a combination of a whole lot of things (eg. such as better driver education/testing) can reduce the risks.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 pm

high_tea wrote:The best thing about this announcement is that it suggests that cyclists have become electorally significant. The actual substance: not much there, for mine. Hey, you've got to start somewhere. I wonder what BQ,AGF,SCA etc make of this. Did any of them suggest it, for that matter?
Yes, yes we did. Hopefully it's the safe passing/strictish liability legislation we've been pushing for but who knows? No detail. SCA IS 50/50 here:
Yea's-better late than never if (if) you win Anna
Nay's-9 Queenslanders lost in the 12 months leading up to the election everyones been talking about,
cheap vote grab and from a cyclist of all people(!)
no content whatsoever as yet despite us asking repeatedly (says dodgy to us),
and as said yet again here, enforce the current laws so everyone takes you seriously!

Mind you, Campbell seems to gold cyclists in about as much contempt as Queenslanders do for his deranged wife. And no policy oitline from them at all regarsing anything road related that I know of.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 am

Provided Labor wins - and Can botch Campbell is doing all he can to help them do so - and the QPS play ball, (2 mighty big if's) we'll be going nuts on the sofa in the Womble's warren. The enforcement is a huge concern. And what guidelines for constituting an offence without video footage if a cyclist wants to report an act of aggression. We want to see details people!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

Inwood wrote:Won't it be a step up from the current situation, where as long as the motorist doesn't hit you, or cause you to take action to avoid a collision, the police won't do anything apart from maybe speak to the driver? If there is a specific rule against reckless driving near cyclists, our video evidence may turn out to be a lot more effective.

I don't think there's any single magic bullet here. But surely a specific rule about driving recklessly near cyclists is one positive step in the right direction? On its own it won't make a significant difference but a combination of a whole lot of things (eg. such as better driver education/testing) can reduce the risks.
p7 of the policy document RonK linked to states:
we will amend the Criminal Code offence of Dangerous Driving to include a specific provision which will increase the penalty if the dangerous driving deliberately or recklessly endangers a cyclist. The penalties will increase from a maximum 200 penalty units ($20,000) or 3 years imprisonment to a
maximum penalty of 400 penalty units ($40,000) or 5 years imprisonment under the new provision.
So, no specific offence, just a circumstance of aggravation to dangerous driving. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't change the standard of behaviour one bit. It just increases the penalties.

molly

Postby molly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 am

Great choice we have, both Bligh and Newman waste obscene amounts of money on stuff-ups (Queensland Health, Traverston Dam, Clem 7, Go-Between Bridge) and neither will do anything about real issues (public transport/moving away from car-centric Brisbane, Great Barrier Reef, protecting farmers/mining issues etc)

I am just wondering what I can do to oppose this stupid system of unaccountability, complete backflips and essentially lying/skirting the truth, while slinging mud at any opposition.

Voting based on any one pre-election promise (in light of all australian policians performances lately) is strange to me.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Vote for Anna based on this? RonK, are you an ALP member?

I think it would be more effective to promise a new enforcement regime where the police would be forced to investigate serious cases of danger, and that this level of danger would be publicised and enforceable by an Ombudsman. There is a big difference between what a driver and a ped or cyclist feels is dangerous. Maybe we need some cops to stand next to the main road in the gutter to find out how safe they feel with the trucks going past? :twisted:

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Xplora wrote:Vote for Anna based on this? RonK, are you an ALP member?
Hehe - no, I'm a swinging voter left dangling by the unpalatable choices offered on all sides of Queensland politics. Wait a minute! On second thoughts, make that Australian politics. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But let's leave my political inclinations out of this discussion, which is about cycling safety. For what it is worth, I think there's a good chance this change would be enacted - it's one election promise that would cost nothing to deliver.

As to whether it would be enforced - well that is another thing. But it most definitely won't be enforceable if it does not exist.

Still waiting to hear a policy on cycle safety (cycle anything) from the other parties. But Newman is known for buying motorists votes by removing bus lanes and building bridges, tunnels and roads. Voters in my ALP-held council ward have been on the receiving end of the rates increases levied to fund them, so he has not made a good start with me... :twisted:

And no doubt the mad hatter's party thinks anyone who would wear lycra is gay, and should be marginalized. :evil:
Last edited by RonK on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.