Anzac Bridge - Accident & Warning FYI

find_bruce

Anzac Bridge - Accident & Warning FYI

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Mid 30kmh is easy downhill even if you start from 0 from the middle of the bridge and roll all the way down
Did a test on my way home, no pedaling, 15k at centre, 16k at pylon, 35 approach to s bend, slowed to 25 for bend, 45k at bottom of dip.

Sydguy you would be amazed at increase in bike & ped volumes since bridge opened. It's the funny thing about infrastructure it often is far more popular than designers thought possible

hewey

Re: Anzac Bridge - Accident & Warning FYI

Postby hewey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Those speed bumps are actually quite dangerous as there isn't any warning to cyclist or pedestrians (of the trip hazard). Mid 30kmh is easy downhill even if you start from 0 from the middle of the bridge and roll all the way down.
If you cant slow down quick enough for a speedhump, then you're probably riding too fast for a shared use pathway :roll:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm

The problem is that for cyclists riding the bridge for the first time they would not know it was a speed hump. There are no warning signs nor are there any other indications they are there. The bump itself is a slightly different colour, you would only pick it as being raised once you rode over it.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

wombata

Postby wombata » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:10 pm

I've ridden the AB and PB many times on the way to and from the city to work and back. There are a number of dangers:

1. the western intersection at Victoria Road (heading in all directions) where the Glebe path exits,
2. the pedestrian crossing at PB when the cycle sensors don't register, pedestrians walk on the cycle way and cyclists cross on the red,
3. pedestrians in their own world in all places, compounded by cyclists travelling too close to them and sometimes at speed,
4. heading west down the AB and approaching the non-signed speed humps, and
5. going into the dip on the west of the AB high speed with pedestrians around.

Three things assist enormously:
- cyclists going slower when pedestrians are around (there's plenty that don't)
- cyclists giving more room to pedestrians and vice versa (there's plenty that don't)
- pedestrians being more alert (there's few - no? - signs advising pedestrians to be aware of cyclists in these shared areas).

Laws and enforcement shouldn't be needed too much if the expectation is clear on all users of shared areas to be alert, give room and slow down. In my view, communication of the expectation is required, not enforcement of law....

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

My biggest safety gripe on that AB/PB route is not so much pedestrian and speed bumps as they are all easily manageable. It's the start of the ramp at the intersection Quarry Master Dr and Saunders St. There are so many safety traps at that point it's not funny. The one I particularly hate is the difficult visual on traffic coming up on the right as one descents and exits the ramp. Sharp angle, speed and multiway traffic.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 pm

One of the issues at the city end of the AB is cars (read Taxi's) stopping to pick up people and blocking the ramp.

That could be tidied up, have seen people oblivious to the cars heading up the street and riding out across the road.

Again if your riding at a sensible speed you will be able to stop, it is also nice to hear the odd call 'Car' providing a little bit more reaction time.

The whole cycle corridor from the West into the city needs to be looked at, that should include going ahead with the Green Way.

Alas Barry O'Fail is not going to let that happen, we will just get more policing. Lots of stick and not much carrot.

JM

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 pm

sogood wrote:My biggest safety gripe on that AB/PB route is not so much pedestrian and speed bumps as they are all easily manageable. It's the start of the ramp at the intersection Quarry Master Dr and Saunders St. There are so many safety traps at that point it's not funny. The one I particularly hate is the difficult visual on traffic coming up on the right as one descents and exits the ramp. Sharp angle, speed and multiway traffic.
They need to put a big mirror in at that exit so the cyclists can see any cars coming up from behind. I've seen some close calls there as people really want to keep their speed up to get through the slight uphill that comes up next. And its not just a simple glance to the right, you need to turn a full 150 degrees or so to see what is coming with very little time to do this.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:04 pm

hewey wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:Those speed bumps are actually quite dangerous as there isn't any warning to cyclist or pedestrians (of the trip hazard). Mid 30kmh is easy downhill even if you start from 0 from the middle of the bridge and roll all the way down.
If you cant slow down quick enough for a speedhump, then you're probably riding too fast for a shared use pathway :roll:
I'm not saying I can't stop in time but the bumps aren't very visual like regular ones you meet in a car. It's only made of pebblecrete that blends in with the concrete and whilst you would swing past those post at 20, it still gives you a fairly big jolt and potentally upset the balance on a roadie if all you're looking at is the s bend.

greeny23

Postby greeny23 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:59 pm

i hate the whole ride into the city from Drummoyne. i went down on Harris Street near the Agincourt hotel last Tuesday and totaled my bike :(

anzac bridge is fairly safe though.

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 am

Leave it to NY'ers to tell it like it is.

diggler

Postby diggler » Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 am

Maybe a speedbump is required on the Western side.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

matt_h1

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't consider myself a fast rider, but I regularly hit 30km/h on the downhill parts of both sides. Personally I seem to really struggle on the ramp down into Pyrmont around the corners, if I turn to tightly I start to tip. Damn top-heavyness.

I've not had an issue with pedestrians on the bridge though, They generally clump up and most bike traffic seems to go in one direction depending on the time of day, I do get really annoyed on the Balmain side though when people brake and go at a snails pace the whole way down, and then you have to struggle at the hill.

I usually hop off and walk the little bridge that crosses over into Lilyfield, IMO it's too narrow for Cyclists to be going up given it gets alot of foot traffic and has zero lighting.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 pm

There already is speed bumps on the western side.... and speed bumps do nothing except buckle wheels and create a new type of hazard when riders go airborne. Bicycles unlike cars tolerate getting some air much better than cars and trucks. Given the right speed bump positioning, bicycle and speed, I'd gladly get as much air as I can with speed bump assistance or just bunny hop the thing.

Matt, the thing with riding the brakes down the western side is that the expansion joints/control cracking joints of the path are not kind to road wheels (AT) 100psi. I'd much rather slow down and struggle up the hill to minimise the risk of damage. Foot bridge I agree is narrow but I ride over the whole section without too much difficulties.

matt_h1

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Odd, my wheels are usually at ~100psi and I find that leg extremely smooth, Far more so than Livingstone & Norton.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am

Not saying it's Parramatta Rd bumpy but just enough to make you think not to push it too hard if you've got some mechanical sympathy to the bike.