Running

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Running

Postby Cycotic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 am

wizardhat wrote:I'm not 100% sure if the running actually helped my lower back but it's the only significant change I made in my routine - presumably the running is helping my core strength somehow?

I took up running 6 months ago and now do 4 runs and 2 rides each week. I have a history of lower back issues that the running has helped with. I took some running lessons to make sure I was running properly - from the core, not the calves.

For me, running helps cycling by:
Improves aerobic fitness through intense workout in a relatively short time.
Improves core strength & helps lower back.
Tones up abs to get rid of 'middle-aged rider belly'.

For me, cycling helps running by:
Develops and keeps a good fitness base.
Strengthens hill-climbing muscle groups (from early on I could outrun many seasoned runners uphill).

I've found running difficult, but have kept at it to the point where I now enjoy it. Cycling is easier and I would recommend it above running to those starting out on the "get fit" path, but I love the simplicity of running (and it's a lot cheaper).
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

by BNA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 am

BNA
 

Re: Running

Postby BarryTas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 am

running is good for you,

you just cant "free wheel" as you will simply stop :(
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: Running

Postby skull » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 am

BarryTas wrote:running is good for you,

No it isn't, it is the devil.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Running

Postby BarryTas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 am

skull wrote:
BarryTas wrote:running is good for you,

No it isn't, it is the devil.



only if your sand and cliff running in 35c heat :(
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: Running

Postby mants » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Went out and done a 10km run last night, not at any quick pace or anything, stretched before and after and walked the run off abit.
All was fine then woke up this morning and at the very top of my right leg pn the front is pretty painful, it seems like its some sort of tendants going down into the leg.

Anyone got any idea what has happened and also what is the best to get it recovered asap as i cant have not being able to train?

Cheers
User avatar
mants
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Scarborough, WA

Re: Running

Postby Cycotic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:28 pm

mants wrote:at the very top of my right leg pn the front is pretty painful, it seems like its some sort of tendants going down into the leg.

Anyone got any idea what has happened and also what is the best to get it recovered asap as i cant have not being able to train?

Cheers


One thing I've found with running is that muscles I didn't even know existed start hurting (until they strengthen). I've learnt more about the muscle structure of the leg in 6 months of running than ever before. I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like your vastus intermedius (are you impressed with my latin? 8) ). You can do your own trigger point therapy on it by using this diagram: http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoi ... medius.htm
Image
Using your thumb, put firm pressure on the trigger point (marked 'x'). You'll know when you've got it because it will hurt. Keep as much pressure on it as you can bare for 20 to 30 seconds. The muscle should relax and the pain should go. You may have to repeat it a few times.

I stress again that I'm not a medical expert, but self trigger point therapy (using the diagrams on http://www.triggerpoints.net ) has helped me a lot with running. Let me know how you get on.
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

Re: Running

Postby Spiza » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:56 pm

skull wrote:
BarryTas wrote:running is good for you,

No it isn't, it is the devil.

:lol: +1
User avatar
Spiza
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Running

Postby mants » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Cycotic wrote:
mants wrote:at the very top of my right leg pn the front is pretty painful, it seems like its some sort of tendants going down into the leg.

Anyone got any idea what has happened and also what is the best to get it recovered asap as i cant have not being able to train?

Cheers


One thing I've found with running is that muscles I didn't even know existed start hurting (until they strengthen). I've learnt more about the muscle structure of the leg in 6 months of running than ever before. I'm no medical expert, but it sounds like your vastus intermedius (are you impressed with my latin? 8) ). You can do your own trigger point therapy on it by using this diagram: http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoi ... medius.htm
Image
Using your thumb, put firm pressure on the trigger point (marked 'x'). You'll know when you've got it because it will hurt. Keep as much pressure on it as you can bare for 20 to 30 seconds. The muscle should relax and the pain should go. You may have to repeat it a few times.

I stress again that I'm not a medical expert, but self trigger point therapy (using the diagrams on http://www.triggerpoints.net ) has helped me a lot with running. Let me know how you get on.



Cheers for that info, i had been rubbing deep heat into the sore area, and it seems to have sorted it, no pain at all. saying that i havnt done any exercise apart from walking at a quckish pace and it seemed fine/

Bit of a strange one.
User avatar
mants
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Scarborough, WA

Re: Running

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 pm

skull wrote:
BarryTas wrote:running is good for you,

No it isn't, it is the devil.

Whether you believe in creationism or evolution, the simple fact is that once apon a time, we didn't live in buildings and go mcdonalds for a fed. We had to chase our food out in the open. And lets face it; humans are piss slow runners! Cheetahs and lions sprint 70km/h. Damn, even my jack russel can sprint faster than you, then gnaw your ankles off. Over long distances though, humans cant be beat. I challenge anyone to name me one animal that can run faster than a human. Sure, everyone points to the Welsh 'man vs horse' race every year, where an equestrian beats a marathon runner (most of the time), but the marathoners aren't particularly fast compared with some of the African tribesmen.

But in reality, we were born to run :wink:

here's the best 7 minutes of your life, showcasing (David Attenbrough) how our ancestors hunted before they came up with bow and arrows or guns. It's amazing because this tribe is still hunting that way today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Running

Postby Cycotic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

Wayfarer wrote:
skull wrote:
BarryTas wrote:running is good for you,

No it isn't, it is the devil.

Whether you believe in creationism or evolution, the simple fact is that once apon a time, we didn't live in buildings and go mcdonalds for a fed. We had to chase our food out in the open. And lets face it; humans are piss slow runners! Cheetahs and lions sprint 70km/h. Damn, even my jack russel can sprint faster than you, then gnaw your ankles off. Over long distances though, humans cant be beat. I challenge anyone to name me one animal that can run faster than a human. Sure, everyone points to the Welsh 'man vs horse' race every year, where an equestrian beats a marathon runner (most of the time), but the marathoners aren't particularly fast compared with some of the African tribesmen.

But in reality, we were born to run :wink:

here's the best 7 minutes of your life, showcasing (David Attenbrough) how our ancestors hunted before they came up with bow and arrows or guns. It's amazing because this tribe is still hunting that way today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o


Great clip!

Just goes to show that we're made for enurance, not speed.
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

Re: Running

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Cycotic wrote:I stress again that I'm not a medical expert, but self trigger point therapy (using the diagrams on http://www.triggerpoints.net ) has helped me a lot with running. Let me know how you get on.

Thank you so much for that link, it is now in my favourites. :D

For the past two weeks I have suffered a really sore right shoulder and arm to the extent that it wakes me up during the night, severe pain while riding, and some days even using the computer mouse was extremely painfull.

Got the info off that link, found two trigger spots one in the lower neck, the other in the upper shoulder, treated it twice only and the pain has disappeared.

I can’t believe how simple and effective that was. :shock:
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: Running

Postby Cycotic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:For the past two weeks I have suffered a really sore right shoulder and arm to the extent that it wakes me up during the night, severe pain while riding, and some days even using the computer mouse was extremely painfull.

Got the info off that link, found two trigger spots one in the lower neck, the other in the upper shoulder, treated it twice only and the pain has disappeared.

I can’t believe how simple and effective that was. :shock:

When I first started running I could only run a few hundred metres until my right calf would cramp. I went to see a personal trainer/rehabilitation specialist who taught me the trigger point stuff. I couldn't believe how simple it was, to the point where I almost didn't do what they said because I didn't think it would work. Six months later I can run a half-marathon distance with no issues.
User avatar
Cycotic
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Adelaide, SA (Blackwood)

Re: Running

Postby skull » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Barry you would be impressed. I went for two runs last week whilst I was off the bike.

I still think running sux, but it was good to get out and be active.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Running

Postby BarryTas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 pm

skull wrote:Barry you would be impressed. I went for two runs last week whilst I was off the bike.

I still think running sux, but it was good to get out and be active.


i like, i am waiting for day light saving to end so i can run before work
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: Running

Postby mants » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Ran 10kms to work this morning and the leg problem has arose again. to the point i had to stop running and was barely able to put weight on the leg.
Managed to walk it off abit and now have lots of deep heat on it, seems to be helping.
User avatar
mants
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Scarborough, WA

Re: Running

Postby -Stefan- » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Be careful with the deep heat as you think the pain is over but your knee is just numbed!
-Stefan-
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Running

Postby mateyboi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Running and cycling uses different muscle groups so I not sure running would help you ride faster.

The only things I could find that would benefit from running is cardio and breathing techniques. Running is more intense so it will pump your heart like no tomorrow and while that is happening you can train yourself to breath better. Which can be used on the bike. Just watch out though, when you run. Bad technique and over training when running can lead to some nasty knee problems.

Since I've had trouble focusing while riding, I've also find that it helped with concentration/focus.
mateyboi
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Running

Postby rustychisel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm

God invented bicycles so you don't need to run. Sheesh. :twisted:
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Running

Postby mants » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Done my 1st triathon at the weekend there, since then ive found out that the leg pain i was having is coming down from my back.

The nerves in the lower back are really stiff, had a scan and its shown that around my shoulders they are dropping off to the left, and then the rest of my back is sitting dropping to the right badly, so my whole back is out of shape causing this pain i have,
User avatar
mants
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Scarborough, WA

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit