I can't choose - Womens flat bar road bike!

mich83

I can't choose - Womens flat bar road bike!

Postby mich83 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I have previously posted for suggestions regarding the purchase of a flat bar road bike, thanks for your help.
I'm getting closer to buying a bike and hoping for some more help!

I have taken the Avanti Aria range for a ride and they felt quite comfortable. I am struggling to decide between the models:
Aria 1: Frame and Fork - ADT 6061 FormTech Alloy+Cr-Mo Ahead Gearing - Shimano EF51+Altus 24 spd Brakes - Mini V-Brake Rims & Hubs - Weinmann Provence Double-wall + Shimano RM30
Aria 2 Same as above except Gearing - Shimano EF65+Acera 27 Spd
Aria 3 Frame and Fork - ADT 7005 UL Alloy+ADT E1 Carbon Gearing - Shimano EF65+alivio 27spd Rims and Hubs - Alex DA-16+Shimano 2200
Aria 4 - Outside of my price range

I have issues with my shoulders and back and was told that a flat bar road bike would likely be best!
How does the Aria series compare with the Giant Crosscity womens range?
Or the cannondale quick sl?
I Have not tested either the crosscity or cannondale!
Or any other bikes that would be more suitable?

I will be commuting approx 17kms each way to work (once I have built my fitness up), for the meantime I will be putting the bike in the car, driving part of the way and then riding. I would be riding mainly on a paved/gravel bike path.

I am 164cm and 58kgs! I was told I would be a medium/large on a womens bike.

Thanks for your advice.

Mapomatic

Re: I can't choose - Womens flat bar road bike!

Postby Mapomatic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Get the lightest bike you can afford and feel comfortable on. Nothing more likely to dissuade you from riding than a heavy bike (and rain).

Recommended the Specialized to my sister in law recently. She loves it. My wife has the Aria as her commmuter. Nothing wrong with it, but very heavy, especially compared to the Specialized. My brother in law has the Giant Cross City and it is also lighter than the Aria.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Cannondale and Giant both make great bikes Mich. If you can get a chance to throw a leg over them before decision time, do so.

Regarding the Arias. I'll wager there is no difference between frames, it's the component level affecting the price.
Have you factored the essential extras like lights , tools, wet weather grear and such into your budget? If you haven't then you could go a lower spec Aria +extras to get yourself rolling now and customise with better quality parts down the road as budget permits. From all I've heard, Avanti bikes are sound candidates for when you come down with a case of upgradeitis :wink:

Good luxck with it and have fun finding the one :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dedot

Postby Dedot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 am

Hi There,

I have a women aria 3 (2012) and am very happy with it. Looks like I'm about your size, 163cm and 58kg (close..) and I ride a Small size Avanti. I had test ride a Cannondale Quick 3 (eqv model to avanti aria3) and it's about the same comfort as the Aria 3 but Cannondale cost extra $$$. Cant say about Giant. I did a test ride on specialized vita elite too. At the end, all the component about the same, weight about the same, the only difference was the $$$. So I chose Aria 3. :D

I normally ride about 2-3 times a week about 30-40kms each ride and so far has not any problem with the bike or with my body. Make sure your have a fitting before you go for a test ride. I really love the bike, saddle is very comfortable from the get-go, and the colour is a beauty too. This bike makes me more into road cycling and i'm already onto to researching for a road bike.

Good luck with your decision and doing a test ride make a big difference in deciding.

Andy7005

Postby Andy7005 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 am

I'll hijack this thread a bit. My wife has been riding her old Giant MTB quite a bit lately and is stoked with the fitness gains and weight loss. Down from 96 to 80 or so. She's around 5'7".

Initially we were thinking about buying her a flat bar roadie - the Trek 7.5WSD had caught her eye.

A friend of ours is lending her a drop bar roadie, telling her to go the whole way, not half way.

Riding will mainly be a 27km bike path (return trip) from Hobart to the northern suburbs and back. No doubt once she gets the exercise cravings she'll venture on-road.

I'm thinking the endurance type of frame will be more appropriate than a full race frame.

What are you ladies riding? I'm thinking a sub-$1500 budget. Anyone with good or bad experiences of shops in Hobart?

Andy7005

Postby Andy7005 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 am

Have done the rounds of a couple of bike shops so far.

So far her favourites are the Specialized Dolce Comp Apex, with SRAM Apex at $1799 and the Avanti Vitale 4 with 105 at $1499.

Yet to have a look at the Felt ZW75 which is also SRAM Apex, but it's on the list of likely suspects.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Can I just throw the Jamie coda in the mix ..my partner just got one and loves it ..pretty well.specced and is steel... worth a look and great value.

Andy7005

Postby Andy7005 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:53 pm

After all that, she ended up with a Felt ZW4. Carbon frame with Ultegra. A hefty tax return meant our budget got increased!

Ejay

Postby Ejay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:09 pm

I just purchased the Aria 2! I am 175cm tall and was fitted to a large size.

The main difference between the 1 and 2 was the 2013 model 2 has carbon fibre front forks and better gears, so it's a bit lighter which is nice. I can easily lift it with one arm and I have zero arm strength haha!

I commute to work on it (only about 14km round trip) on cycle lanes and it is a lovely, comfortable ride so far. Plus it looks good :wink:

Got it on sale for $589 at TBE.