Mudgee to Mildura potential trip

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:48 am

Hi,
I'm looking at different ways to head to WA and the current thought is to head to Mildura taking in the sights and seeing how I go.
Taking it very slow and easy to break in my body and saddle which still isnt super comfy and hopefully to iron out any
running gear issues before I'm a million miles from nowhere and tweaking my bike fit along the way.
I dont yet know how to utelise Bikemap.net or similar to explain my route very well to you but if you've the time or inclination
any/all tips and/or suggestions and opinions very welcome.
I've taken on board (from posts in other threads) that the Mudgee to Dubbo, Ningan to Cobar to Broken Hill is devoid of scenic beauty or anything much worth snapping with the camera so have been doing my head in looking at alternate routes.
Ok enough waffle.....
I'm looking at Mudgee to Wellington to Yeoval to Baldry to Parkes to Tichborne to Daroobalgie to Forbes to Condobolin to Lake Cargelligo to Hillston to Goolgowi to Gunbar to Hay to Balranald to Euston to Muldura.
I'd like to avoid traffic where possible as well as particularly hilly or mountainous (long) stretches as I'll be towing a heavy load on a trailer.
Saying that I'm not in a particular hurry and although I have a final destination in mind its a state and not a town or city (WA).
I thought (should this route be suitable) then when/if I make it to Mildura I'll have a reasonable idea of my capabilities and whether I
believe I can continue or throw in the towel and catch a train (I'm hoping not to). I'm hoping also that by Mildura I'll be a lot fitter than
I am now and be a lot more comfortable with a much increased stamina and the extra mileage ability that will come with it.
I can then decide whether to tackle the Nullarbor or to head North toward the top end.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 am

Hehe, you've been reading my comments about cheesewheel's route.

What I like about going this way is that the towns are fairly close together, and that you will be passing through some quite historic places, so the journey should be quite interesting.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Re: Mudgee to Mildura potential trip

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 am

RonK wrote:Hehe, you've been reading my comments about cheesewheel's route.

What I like about going this way is that the towns are fairly close together, and that you will be passing through some quite historic places, so the journey should be quite interesting.
Hi Ron,
I have indeed been trying to listen to yourself and the others here who have more experience and an inherent idea of
the geography and topography of Aus.
I've not traveled about much in Aus "yet".
I've flown to Perth before (once in 2011 - for ten days) and driven only as far south as Canberra and as far north as Newcastle and west to Dubbo.
In fact Im much more knowledgeable about parts of England/Ireland or NZ than Aus.
As for interesting - yes theres some real Aussie history in some of those small towns along the way.
"Forbes - Kate Kelly, the sister of bushranger Ned Kelly, lived in the town, and drowned in Lake Forbes while saving a Aboriginal child during one of the lake's floods and was found in a lagoon of the Lachlan River, just outside Forbes, in 1898.[5][6] She is buried in Forbes Cemeter"
Time to stop reading about others trips and journeys and start planning a few of my own.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Anyone journeyed from Forbes to Jennalong to Fairholme to Condobolin?
Or Condobolin towards West Wyalong, but turning off right toward Lake Cargelligo?
Might a better route of the latter be Condobolin to Euabalong to Lake Cargelligo?
These roads look like they will have less traffic than the Condobolin to West Wyalong and the lake
might mean some photo opportunities.
Any thoughts on Hillston to Hay?
Looks like I could come down the Kidman Way to Goolgowi, then across the Mid Western to Gunbar to Hay.
An alternative might be cutting across from Hillston to Cowl Cowl through to Booligal to One Tree on the Cobb Highway,
down to Hay meeting the Stuart Highway.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:26 pm

rifraf wrote:Anyone journeyed from Forbes to Jennalong to Fairholme to Condobolin?
Or Condobolin towards West Wyalong, but turning off right toward Lake Cargelligo?
Might a better route of the latter be Condobolin to Euabalong to Lake Cargelligo?
These roads look like they will have less traffic than the Condobolin to West Wyalong and the lake
might mean some photo opportunities.
Any thoughts on Hillston to Hay?
Looks like I could come down the Kidman Way to Goolgowi, then across the Mid Western to Gunbar to Hay.
An alternative might be cutting across from Hillston to Cowl Cowl through to Booligal to One Tree on the Cobb Highway,
down to Hay meeting the Stuart Highway.
Don't forget you can view these routes by mapping them in Google Maps then using the 3D button for a helicopter flyover view. You may need to click the pause button to allow the images to load.
By doing a flyover of this route I can see that Jemalong is a location, not a township...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:39 pm

RonK wrote:
Don't forget you can view these routes by mapping them in Google Maps then using the 3D button for a helicopter flyover view. You may need to click the pause button to allow the images to load.
By doing a flyover of this route I can see that Jemalong is a location, not a township...
Magic :!:
The google maps seems easier to use and faster than google earth I was trying last night - thanks Ron :D
Gee that google maps offers so many alternate routes its making my head spin - great tool.
If I understand it right, you get that on your Galaxy 2 phone Ron?
Sounds like an awesome feature.
My head hurts thinking about learning enough about my Edge 800 to try programing in a trip like this. :oops:
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I can't comment on the rest of the trip but Euston to Mildura you will have no choice but to play with the traffic as the main road is the only option. It is reasonably flat and a pretty good road overall with a few rest areas and ok shoulder most of the way. If you come this way I might even head out the road a bit to help guide you in!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Toolish wrote:I can't comment on the rest of the trip but Euston to Mildura you will have no choice but to play with the traffic as the main road is the only option. It is reasonably flat and a pretty good road overall with a few rest areas and ok shoulder most of the way. If you come this way I might even head out the road a bit to help guide you in!
Thanks heaps Toolish,
Great to have a contact with some local knowledge.
I'll keep you updated on my plans.
Cheers :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Well I finally left when the weather cleared. I cycled from Mudgee to Goolma and then the next day got to about 12km before Wellington. The following day I got to about 12km before Yeoval. Following day I got to about Baldry. Following - yesterday, I got to Parkes.
I'm having a day off to reasearch what options there are because many roads in the area are closed to flood damage.
No worries, as I'm enjoying the break.
As per usual I took way to much. Due to poor reception out west my laptop is about 4.5kgs of redundancy I didnt need.
I didnt think so when I left but I obviously needed to listen harder to you guys.
Only took my Trangia stove and boy am I a convert - love its lack of weight compared to my optimus.
Gotta get back to the campground to check on my gear, having been for a cheap pub lunch and library email check.
Having talked about it for long enough I'm finally doing it.
Very slow progress with the trailer and I have to get off and push at the first sign of any hills but I'm happy as a
pig in #(AT)*#!
Going through unbelievable amounts of water due to the heat and exertion.
This is my first campground stay as I've just been bivibaging it on the side of the road.
The mozzies in Parkes just scoff at Aeroguard, so I've found some Bushman 80% Deet to try tonight.
I've been struggling to remember to eat enough and killing myself. I had to walk the last few km's into Parkes as I just couldnt physically turn
the cranks.
Ah well, a couple of real pub meals and a day off wont hurt.
Back into it tomorrow.
I'll update next I'm in a large town. :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Aidan, you really need to lighten your load mate.

I have a brother in Perth but it would probably be too much to ask him to store your stuff for you. Nonetheless I'll ask him if he can suggest a way to store your gear. Or perhaps one of our Perth-based forum regulars has some ideas...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 pm

RonK wrote:Aidan, you really need to lighten your load mate.

I have a brother in Perth but it would probably be too much to ask him to store your stuff for you. Nonetheless I'll ask him if he can suggest a way to store your gear. Or perhaps one of our Perth-based forum regulars has some ideas...
Kind thoughts Ron, thanks.
The finding of a suitable box and packaging for a laptop and then the worrying about it in
transit would be a burden I'd rather pass on Ron.
Just leaving my bike at the campground to find my way to the "Roads and Transport Authority"
(NSW) was stressful enough, especially after not much sleep from the usual town traffic noises.
This after only the birds and mozzies (and thoughts of snakes) keeping me awake.
I had to go to the RTA to find a route as all my possibilities (that I'd come up with) are under
water and closed.
Some places the water level has yet to peak and will be under for some time yet apparently.
I've a sister in Kalgoorlie if I can summon the courage and thought processes to box and post my computer.
Like Hansel and Gretal (Hans Christian Anderson - I think) I could follow my trail back to Mudgee,
of strewn clothing and toiletries, instead of bread crumbs.
I should have put more thought into how much food in between towns and bought less of it.
Ah well tis a lesson for next time. Countries I've toured in before have towns a bit closer together, so this is a bit new to me. Ok, the distances in the South Island are a bit more on average
but as I spent more time in the North Island, and areas of Great Britian and Ireland, you get the picture.
It appears I have to go backwards to Canowindra, then down to Young, west to Temora.
Then north to West Wyalong and then a very long road trip with no named places to Goolgowi.
I'm told the other option at this stage is south of Young to Cootamundra to Junee and what on the map appears to be Wagga wagga.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I take it you're keeping an eye on the flood warnings for the Murrumbidgee/Lachlan Rivers rifraf??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 am

Rif, G'day. Your tour is becoming a classic Australian adventure ... they're the best ones to have.

I've been in Wagga over the last couple of days and the Sturt Highway west of Wagga is closed (I haven't looked at the SES road closures for today 13/2). The flooding of the Murrumbidgee is slowly moving west. There was and there still is, so much water it almost defies belief. You can't put one foot off the tarmac or off the drying gravel (yet) in the areas that have been flooded. The mud under the flattened grass is as slick as grease and some-what smelly.

The spiders made for high ground. Billions of spiders. There are so many spiders that in places the ground looks like it is covered in snow. There are lots of Brown Snakes too, take care. Every person that I've met has warned me about the Brown Snakes.

The clean up is under-way in North Wagga ... for what has been left to clean-up that is.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 am

Rif, It isn't all doom and gloom in the Riverena. The natural environment is benefiting greatly ... with the River Red Gums again up to their wastes in water. Essential for their good health.

... and when the ground eventually dries out, you wont have too much trouble finding a place to erect your tent. The roadside fences have been flattened by the flood.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 am

il padrone wrote:I take it you're keeping an eye on the flood warnings for the Murrumbidgee/Lachlan Rivers rifraf??
Lachlin River has yet to peak IP, but yes definitely keeping an open eye - (with the buzz of squillions of Magpie sized mozzies and bites despite the repellant,
tis hard to get any shut eye). :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 am

WarrenH wrote:Rif, G'day. Your tour is becoming a classic Australian adventure ... they're the best ones to have.

The spiders made for high ground. Billions of spiders. There are so many spiders that in places the ground looks like it is covered in snow. There are lots of Brown Snakes too, take care. Every person that I've met has warned me about the Brown Snakes.

Warren.
Hi Warren,
love the pics. I've as yet been too shattered to lift the camera out of the bar-bag.
Classic all right, as I made my first 100km ride in years, yesterday afternoon and into the very late evening (12.30pm Condobollin).
I'll be riding dirt today, on a north of the river road to Lake Cargelligo.
I was very saddle sore when I got into Condobollin last night.
I just threw my bivybag on the grass verge upon entering the outskirts of town.
I had only planned to ride as far as Boganhead as I didnt leave Parkes until afternoon.
Boganhead didnt inspire me, so I kept going.
Some fantastic wild camping spots just east of Boganhead but not much west of it.
The mozzies were incredible and despite lashings of repellant continued to strike even through clothing.
I was responsible for the murder of hundreds of poor frogs riding in dark and was followed by lots of poping noises whenever I missed spotting them in their brilliant green.
Lots of road noise from squashing insects and bugs too.
Hitler was responsible for less death than me last night - heres hoping the karma doesnt follow me.
Only sign of snakes was what appeared to be three dead ones on the road between Parkes and Condobolin.
I dont know snakes but as they all appeared to have black scales, I'm assuming they were black snakes.
The info center in Condobollin is very friendly and has internet access.
The campground is apparantly closed and under water.
Great coffee and bacon and egg roll at the first cafe' on the main road in town.
Thanks for the comments and pics as I'm always inspired by your posts.
Cheers

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Ron,
took your advice to heart (damn it).
Thank you!
At Parkes I posted my laptop and some other "essentials" to the value of around 9kg :oops:
No wonder I was able to do my first 100km ride with the trailer yesterday. :lol:
The postage to WA was $67(?) or there abouts, so painful but doubtlessly helpful.
I'll miss the security of my 6 D cell maglight which has been my companion for more than 15 years. :shock:
I plan to pare and trim my gear further and hope to lose another kilo or two after the pain of my last loss dies down. :roll:
Thanks for the sound advice. :D

footloose

Postby footloose » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 am

You really should be trying more to protect yourself from mozzie bites, the last thing you need is to come down with Dengue Fever or any other mozzie borne disease.
And if you are not sleeping well because of the mozzies, you are leaving yourself open to other problems. A lack of attention at a critical point because of tiredness could be very bad for you.
I'm sure you could pick up a mozzie net from one of the towns that you are passing through. If it comes to it, I will happily pick one up for you and post it to one of the towns that you will pass through and you can fix me up later.
And don't think that once you pass through the worst of the flooded areas that the problem will abate. Mozzies will travel far and wide on the wind.
I'm serious mate, protect yourself from the mozzies and do it now!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 am

rifraf wrote:I'll miss the security of my 6 D cell maglight which has been my companion for more than 15 years. :shock:
You've got to be kidding - 6 D-cells?

Those things went out with the ark. There are a whole selection of brilliant little LED torches and head-lamps for camping that are 1/10 the weight of that Maglite monster, and far brighter to boot.

Image Image

The only security of a Maglite is it's dual function as a cosh for security officers :P
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am

footloose wrote:You really should be trying more to protect yourself from mozzie bites, the last thing you need is to come down with Dengue Fever or any other mozzie borne disease.
Dengue fever is not a risk - it's a Queenslnd problem

For rifraf the concerns are Ross River Virus and Murray Valley Encephalitis. Both nasties. Strongly recommend you use good repellant, and a mossie/fly head-net won't go to waste, especially when you get into the cattle country later in the year.
Mandatory helmet law?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm

You may find the following link useful - http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html there is a similar resource in Victoria as well http://alerts.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Assuming you make it through to Lake Cargelligo...then I'm also assuming you are going to head southwest to Hillston and down the Kidman Way? If so then:
  • The Hillston RSL has a decent feed;
    The Kidman Way can be quite pretty but can have quite a few trucks on it - the southern end that you'll be traversing is mostly flat but very open;
    Goolgowi to Hay and Hay to Balranald is some of the most open flat dull but amazing country you'll ever see...heaps of water lying about too - again very open and exposed with many trucks;
    Hay 'might' be a problem due to a rising Murrumbidgee - expected to peak on 20th but will be close to peak by 18th (this Sunday) and the expected peak is over the design height for the levee - you may find that you may not be able to get into town as the Mid Western Highway may be cut - check the situation out from Goolgowi before you leave. Otherwise it is 120 unsupported km to Hay and you may find yourself stuck just a few kays out.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 pm

rifraf wrote:

Hi Ron,
took your advice to heart (damn it).
Thank you!
At Parkes I posted my laptop and some other "essentials" to the value of around 9kg :oops:
No wonder I was able to do my first 100km ride with the trailer yesterday. :lol:
The postage to WA was $67(?) or there abouts, so painful but doubtlessly helpful.
I'll miss the security of my 6 D cell maglight which has been my companion for more than 15 years. :shock:
I plan to pare and trim my gear further and hope to lose another kilo or two after the pain of my last loss dies down. :roll:
Thanks for the sound advice. :D
Glad you saw the light - no doubt you'll find other stuff that is not essential. 9 kgs must have made a big difference.
Sorry, but my brother wasn't able to make any suggestions, but good that your sister can store stuff for you.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

footloose wrote:You really should be trying more to protect yourself from mozzie bites, the last thing you need is to come down with Dengue Fever or any other mozzie borne disease.
And if you are not sleeping well because of the mozzies, you are leaving yourself open to other problems. A lack of attention at a critical point because of tiredness could be very bad for you.
I'm sure you could pick up a mozzie net from one of the towns that you are passing through. If it comes to it, I will happily pick one up for you and post it to one of the towns that you will pass through and you can fix me up later.
And don't think that once you pass through the worst of the flooded areas that the problem will abate. Mozzies will travel far and wide on the wind.
I'm serious mate, protect yourself from the mozzies and do it now!
Hi Footloose,
thanks for the tip.
I got swarmed by mozzies whilst pushing my bike and trailer down a
rough road detor the other night.
I'd not long applied Bushmans Deet but I must have sweated it off.
I've been bitten badly before but this was a new experience.
Maybe 40 or 50 bites in a matter of seconds. They were flying up my nose and into my eyes and the noise was like I'd stepped on a wasp nest.
Just to get away I climbed into my bivy bag to try to stop panicking and to try to remember where on my bike or trailer I'd last stashed the "Deet". I eventually got my head collected enough to remember where it was, and calm enough to attempt it.
I had to push the bike and trailer on a really rough road for between 25-30km and it took me nearly all night.
It made a journey from Condobolin to Euabolong from afternoon to the following morning.
A low point of this journey as I was physically wrecked.
After a kip and a shower and feed to revive I rode the 27km to Lake Cargelligo.
It was the longest 27km I've ever ridden I was that knackered.
I got into the caravan park and promptly slept from late afternoon to
about 8.30am this morning.
I'm feeling a bit more with it today.
I've invested in some aerosol "Bushmans" to hopefully ease the application as I found the cream not to apply evenly very easy.
I've been walking around the township and there is signs here and there warning of potential sickness from the mozzies.
One of the workers from the park is off work with a fever associated with the damn bloodsuckers.
I'm going to take much better care now so once again - thanks for the tip.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:You may find the following link useful - http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html there is a similar resource in Victoria as well http://alerts.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Assuming you make it through to Lake Cargelligo...then I'm also assuming you are going to head southwest to Hillston and down the Kidman Way? If so then:
  • The Hillston RSL has a decent feed;
    The Kidman Way can be quite pretty but can have quite a few trucks on it - the southern end that you'll be traversing is mostly flat but very open;
    Goolgowi to Hay and Hay to Balranald is some of the most open flat dull but amazing country you'll ever see...heaps of water lying about too - again very open and exposed with many trucks;
    Hay 'might' be a problem due to a rising Murrumbidgee - expected to peak on 20th but will be close to peak by 18th (this Sunday) and the expected peak is over the design height for the levee - you may find that you may not be able to get into town as the Mid Western Highway may be cut - check the situation out from Goolgowi before you leave. Otherwise it is 120 unsupported km to Hay and you may find yourself stuck just a few kays out.
Hi silentbutdeadly
I did make it to Lake Carlegelligo but it looks like I'm stuck here for a while.
Apparantly the roads around Hay are now closed due to water.
I could get through to Hillside but to no advantage as the facilities are
supposed to be better here.
Thanks heaps for the links to look at. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:15 pm

il padrone wrote:Dengue fever is not a risk - it's a Queenslnd problem

For rifraf the concerns are Ross River Virus and Murray Valley Encephalitis. Both nasties. Strongly recommend you use good repellant, and a mossie/fly head-net won't go to waste, especially when you get into the cattle country later in the year.
Too late, but I've now found my headnet - yesterday.
Glad I found it for the last leg of the journey as the 27km was plauged
with flies annoying the hell out of me and some of them biting (march flies?)
I've topped up on the Bushmans Deet today so hopefully better prepared
than 2 nights ago.
As always IP thanks for your advice. :)