36 Volt Solar Voltage regulator

Positive discussion on ebikes and pedal assist bicycles

Postby Joeblake » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I was at a meeting of the local sustainability group over the weekend and I was approached by a lady who had an e-bike and she wanted to know whether she could have some photovoltaic panels added on to give her a "constant solar charge" capability such as I have on my (24 volt) trikes, which haven't drawn power from the local grid in over 2 years. Sadly I had to tell her that it was not going to be possible since her machine had a 36 volt system, and whilst it was not difficult to construct a 36 volt PV array, the problem was that to prevent damage to the batteries, there would need to be a 36 volt regulator to disconnect the PV array from the battery when it was fully charged.

I did a bit of 'net surfing this morning and it seems that 36 volt regulators are extremely rare, in fact almost non-existent as far as my searching went. However, in the way that sometimes happens when surfing around I came across this page

http://www.crystel.com/Solar/Tractor/active.html

where the author gives brief instructions on how to convert a Solarex SC-18 regulator to handle 36 volts.

A word on regulators.

Elec-Trak tractors require 36 volts to operate. From a solar standpoint this can be a bit problematic, since most solar systems are either 12 volt, 24 volt, or 48 volt systems. Thus there aren't many regulators out there for 36 volts.

By chance I found a 36 volt model from a company called thelastplaceyoulooked.com. They apparently bought a lot of solar equipment from Australia, and in Australia they use 36 volt systems much in the way we use 48 volt systems here in the states. The Solarex SC-18 controller fit the bill perfectly: It could be configured for 36 volt operation by changing a solder-pad setting, and it was a two stage charger to boot.

Changing it to 36 volts is not a completely simple task. In order to do this you not only need to know how to solder, you need to know how to *remove* solder, since you will take the solder off the 12 volt pad while putting a new solder joint on the 36 volt pad.

Once the regulator was installed, I ran a 25 foot extension cord (outdoor rated) out to the tractor. I terminated it with a 20amp Hubbell twist lock connector, which plugs into the Elec-Trak's option power supply.

As soon as the tractor was plugged in, the charge light came on, and the tractor began to accept a charge. In checking with my Ammeter, I noted that the tractor was pulling almost the same amount of current that would be pulled from the panels in a direct short to ground, indicating that the system was functioning at maximum performance. Initial charging rates were up to 4 amp/hours.

Further, I found a local (Perth) link to a place which sells this item ($20).

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth-re ... /351281406

If the lady with the 36 volt bike contacts me again (I gave her my card) I'll suggest this to her, and maybe see if I can tinker something together.

Otherwise, I'm putting this up for those who have 36 volt systems and are wishing to build an "on-board" PV battery charging system. If you do attempt this yourself and it works, please post it up here, and I'll do the same.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell
Many people feel their lifestyle has a high price, but they're quite cool with that .. as long as somebody ELSE pays the price.
Joeblake

by BNA » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm

BNA

Re: 36 Volt Solar Voltage regulator

Postby rcmkII » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm

My bike runs at 36v and I often tow a trailer behind it. My goal is to assemble a 36v panel for the trailer so I can extend my range in daytime, without adding a whole lot of weight. (E.g. avoid carrying a second set of batteries)

This sounds like the right kind of voltage regulator, and I have no problem with soldering or de-soldering. The only problem is that the item just disappeared off Gumtree and I can't find anything on ebay either.

I've made a note of the item and will keep an eye out though. Appreciate the info.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.
rcmkII

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Good find !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Return to Electric Bicycles