Track Chain Tensioner

neild

Track Chain Tensioner

Postby neild » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 am

Hi all,

I've just picked myself up a cheap frame with track ends to repalce my old repco traveller frame that I built up for a single speed.

The wheels I'm using have a 9 speed hub with single cog and spacers which I really like. Unfortunately they are quick realease not nutted axle and as such I'm finding that I can't get the QR tight enough to prevent the wheel slipping forward slightly. I've tried changing to a different style QR after reading on Sheldon Brown for some tips. This helped but it's still not 100%.

I've been looking at chain tensioners for track ends and have seen the basic models on ebay for around $25. The problem is these are for 10mm axles. I have seen that the Surly Tuggnut has an adaptor so it can be used for 10mm or 6mm quick release, however I haven't been able to find them in stock OS and local prices are around $65!

Does anyone have any experience with this? Wouldn it really matter if I used a 10mm tensioner? Are there any other options for tensioners that a made for a 6mm QR?

Thanks
Neil.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

jaseyjase

Re: Track Chain Tensioner

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm

neild wrote:Hi all,

I've just picked myself up a cheap frame with track ends to repalce my old repco traveller frame that I built up for a single speed.

The wheels I'm using have a 9 speed hub with single cog and spacers which I really like. Unfortunately they are quick realease not nutted axle and as such I'm finding that I can't get the QR tight enough to prevent the wheel slipping forward slightly. I've tried changing to a different style QR after reading on Sheldon Brown for some tips. This helped but it's still not 100%.

I've been looking at chain tensioners for track ends and have seen the basic models on ebay for around $25. The problem is these are for 10mm axles. I have seen that the Surly Tuggnut has an adaptor so it can be used for 10mm or 6mm quick release, however I haven't been able to find them in stock OS and local prices are around $65!

Does anyone have any experience with this? Wouldn it really matter if I used a 10mm tensioner? Are there any other options for tensioners that a made for a 6mm QR?

Thanks
Neil.
Neil, is the hub spaced correctly? if the hubs are spaced less then the distance between the track ends, it mean your forcing the QR to squeeze the track ends, something the QRs arnt really built to do, and hence will loosen, and your wheels will slip.

Is it a proper track frame? i didnt think 9speed hub would fit.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 pm

neild wrote:Surly Tuggnut has an adaptor so it can be used for 10mm or 6mm quick release
You'll def want two for QR use.

neild

Postby neild » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi jaseyjase,

I wouldn't class it as a true track frame. It's a cheap Mojo bikes frame with track ends. It's drilled for brakes front and rear and has 130mm rear spacing so it fits the wheel fine, not bending of metal required.

I've read that you really only need a tensioner on the drive side, and that's why the Surly Tuggnuts are sold as singles. At around $65 each you wouldn't want to have 2! I've found that to be the case, that the wheel only really pulls forward slightly on the drive side so it ends up slightly angled to the left. It's not much, only a few mm offset from centre but definitely noticable. Maybe I just try to tighten the QR more?

Cheers
Neil.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 pm

You could always try and add a thin washer or two to space out the hub a few mm, making it a slightly 'tighter' fit between the dropouts.

Bit of a ghetto solution, but wont cost you $65 bux.

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

You could always flip the chain tensioners around so they are on the inside of the dropouts instead of the outside. this way they will engage the axle and not the skewer.

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Or just get some cheap MKS chain tensioners. Or one of the QR 'lockable' skewers to get some decent torque on it.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am

try this