Cyclists Collide with Truck - Port Botany

l45er

Postby l45er » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cycling-trio- ... 1uz2n.html

"Three cyclists have collided with a truck in Sydney's south.
One is in a serious condition and the other two have sustained minor injuries after the incident on Bumborah Point Road in Port Botany, a NSW Ambulance spokesperson said.
Paramedics have responded to the incident.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Further details of the cyclists' injuries or how the accident occured are not yet clear."

Looks like a Randwick Botany Club Ride judging by the photo.

Hopefully everyone is OK.

I ride this road quite often on weekends and trucks are generally well behaved. There is the odd one which races infront of you turning out of a side street.

JV911

Re: Cyclists Collide with Truck - Port Botany

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 am

why does SMH feel it necessary to have the article open for (the usual rubbish) comments??? :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 am

Hope the RTA reviews the licence of the truck driver for Yusen Logistics.

Good to know there were heaps of photos and no one was seriously injured. Also the ambos and cops were at the scene too.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 am

CommuRider wrote:Hope the RTA reviews the licence of the truck driver for Yusen Logistics.
bit ealy to be sending in the lynch mob

it the article mentions the truck turning right in front of the cyclists but it also mentioned the cyclists pulling out to overtake a bus that had stopped, so the driver may not have seen the cyclists until it was too late. pus it was "early morning" so likely still dark
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am

It's a multi-factorial situation by the sound of it. I don't ride in that direction during weekdays for my dislike of being close to trucks. Even on weekends, it's intimidating to be in close proximity to the occasional fully laden semitrailer on that road. I also wouldn't blame the truck driver just yet, until there's clear evidence. Mob mentality is hardly civil.

Sorry to hear of the accident and hope the injured are ok.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

As a former member of Randwick Botany, my thoughts are with those injured...

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:58 pm

One of the riders was seriously injured and taken to St Vincents - (they do a lot of head injuries, lets hope this is not relevant).

Too early and difficult given the sequence of events to say who might be at fault.

It would be great to hear what really happened, always on the look out to learn from these situations.

I think they should release police reports into all serious accidents, post them online so people can access and learn!

Hope all make full recoveries and get back on the roads.

JM

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Always hate reading about stuff like this. Hope all concerned recover ok.

Good to read the statement at the end that the truck company expressed regret and concern as well as cooperating fully with the police enquiries.

Will be interesting to hear how it pans out, though I agree with sogood about the multi-factorial nature of it all.

cobba

Postby cobba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm

JV911 wrote:why does SMH feel it necessary to have the article open for (the usual rubbish) comments??? :roll:
Wrong paper, it's The Daily Terrorgraph that's allowing people to make comments not the SMH.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... 6298873199

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm

SMH has actually removed the comments section
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Agree with your comments Oxford - but anything we can learn to help us avoid an accident is positive even if we are compensating for failures on the part of others.

Non cyclists have no comprehension as to what cycling on the roads is like, and then again some cyclists shave peds at speed and see nothing wrong with it.

Unless you walk a mile in someones shoes you really don't know, but having more information in a non emotive factual format can only help.

JM

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Sydguy wrote:One of the riders was seriously injured and taken to St Vincents - (they do a lot of head injuries, lets hope this is not relevant).

Too early and difficult given the sequence of events to say who might be at fault.

It would be great to hear what really happened, always on the look out to learn from these situations.

I think they should release police reports into all serious accidents, post them online so people can access and learn!

Hope all make full recoveries and get back on the roads.

JM
Usually ambos will neck brace the rider as soon as they arrive, which results I guess them taking them to St Vincents? I know when I went down I was taken to RNS in Sydney but the second time I was taken closer to home (mona vale)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Neck brace is but a protocol these days for trauma cases. StV, POW and RPA are all full service hospitals, capable of handling these cases. Otherwise it's obvious this case wasn't labelled as "major" trauma, or it would have gone straight to RPA, which is the official trauma centre for this part of Sydney.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 pm

JV911 wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Hope the RTA reviews the licence of the truck driver for Yusen Logistics.
bit ealy to be sending in the lynch mob

it the article mentions the truck turning right in front of the cyclists but it also mentioned the cyclists pulling out to overtake a bus that had stopped, so the driver may not have seen the cyclists until it was too late. pus it was "early morning" so likely still dark

it was at 7 - it was light this morning at that time. The light would not have been blinding the driver if I understand which side of the road this was on correctly. Been a long time since I rode it personally.

The driver stopped asap - ie he didn't park the truck in the warehouse and then come back, the company is apologetic, the bus CCTV may show some useful stuff, it may not. The bus is at least 12m long, 7am is daylight, its likely that the bus was 10m back from the accident because of the posting of the bus stop itself, and its likely that the riders were over in the far lane another 5m at least, so I would expect they were visible for 3 seconds before the accident presuming they were doing 40. They would have been visible for longer if they were traveling slower.

I expect that the truth was the driver was somewhat target fixated on the bus - as the bus could interrupt his path by moving off.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 pm

zero wrote:I expect that the truth was the driver was somewhat target fixated on the bus - as the bus could interrupt his path by moving off.
Precisely what happened to me when I got T-boned by the woman in Ryde early 2010. The buses passed by, my presence completely failed to register, despite my loud and insistent yelling, until I was on her hood.

And it can happen to cyclists too. I remember returning from one ride with my late cousin on the through road of a T-intersection. This large SUV came roaring up from the right and stuck its nose well into the intersection, and I was so fixed on the threat I completely failed to register the woman flinging her door open into my path until the last second. Fortunately I was just wide enough to have room to swerve around, but the target fixaton certainly put the wind up me.