Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I know this topic has been dealt with in other threads but I can't find anything specific to my concern.
My situation is that I am organising a new Vivente tourer which comes standard with a Shimano XT Dynohub. All I wish to recharge (at this stage) is a Garmin Edge 800 and an ordinary old Nokia phone (6120 Classic, a few years old). The problem is that the Edge will not operate and recharge at the same time, and, I think it requires a constant current. Therefore I need to charge a separate battery whilst riding and charge up the Garmin later.
I have looked at the B&M E Werk and Cache battery but wonder whether the Cache battery will store enough current for charging devices if it is not connected and working in conjunction with the dynamo and E Werk. Should I use a different storage battery eg. Solar Monkey.
I have also looked at the Solar Monkey, Solar Gorilla etc. but don't know if these can be charged from the Dynohub. To be honest I am becoming a little confused.
Ultimately, I would like to travel with a small laptop/netbook and the other devices including a battery charger for AA and AAA batteries and wonder if I could combine solar and dynohub charging at the same time. My main interest is to be able to access the Garmin mapping software (Topo) on a laptop whilst on the road.
I am curious to know what systems you more experienced tourers are using?

WestcoastPete

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Here's a bit of info on solar charging while touring. This fella's solution looks pretty good to me.

I'm interested in the Dahon Biologic Reecharge for this purpose as well - it looks to be pretty simple, good quality and not too expensive.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:14 pm

I have both the Biologic Reecharge and the Pedalpower Super-I-Cable.
Both are very similar, but the SIC has more battery capacity.
However the Reecharge is easier and more convenient to mount and use.
Both allow me to keep my iPhone on all day and still maintain it's charge.
These systems will not enable the charging of laptops, and there probably are not enough hours in the day to charge multiple devices either.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Tim wrote:The problem is that the Edge will not operate and recharge at the same time, and, I think it requires a constant current. Therefore I need to charge a separate battery whilst riding and charge up the Garmin later.
I have no problem operating and charging the Garmin Edge 705 at the same time with my PedalPower+ so strange that the 800 mont do likewise. Do you have the latest firmware? It says:
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10:
<snip>
Allow the device to operate in normal mode with external power.
Also, it could just be the cable you are using. I find different USB cables make the 705 behave in different ways
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

I have the E-werk charger and the 705. There are same type cables but different lengths in the E-Werk kit. One will charge the garmin edge 705 on the fly, the other shuts it down and starts to charge it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:35 pm

I assumed the Edge 800 won't charge and operate at the same time because when I plug it into the laptop USB connection it shuts down or enters what I think is called "mass storage mode".
Ahaa, thanks fellas, after further experimentation though, when I plug it into the 240V AC charger it stays on and continues to operate.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Try this Garmin forum thread https://forums.garmin.com//showthread.php?t=13908
The answers start to come in from page 5 onwards. Looks like a combo of having the right firmware and not plugging it into a computer
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 pm

The Garmin Edge 800 will operate off external power but it will not charge and operate at the same time if that makes sense. What it does is use the external power source instead of its own battery to operate.

As a power source I have a PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable but they also do the V4 if you want more battery power. The other handy thing with the Super-i-Cable is that the batteries are user changeable.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 am

My god that is big, it looks 3 times bigger than my ewerk

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:30 am

Baalzamon wrote:My god that is big, it looks 3 times bigger than my ewerk
But your eWerk does not include a battery.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 am

Baalzamon wrote:My god that is big, it looks 3 times bigger than my ewerk
Does the e-werk come with the batteries or is that a separate unit?

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 am

Correct, the e-werk doesn't come with a battery. At this stage I don't need the cache battery either. My ewerk charges my phone & GPS on the fly. The phone I keep in the handlebar bag providing a waterproof solution. It is also waterproof upto my Garmin Edge 705, now I wish there was a waterproof solution to charge that on the fly. But that will last for about 3 days touring and hopefully don't get wet 3 days in a row all the time.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 pm

At the moment the system I think I will operate is based on the Shimano XT dynamo, connected to the EWerk, then charge a Minigorilla battery (from the same makers as the Powermonkey). From the Minigorilla I can easily recharge my phone and GPS, loose batteries and maybe a small netbook at a later date, though I'll probably have to cycle from here to Darwin nonstop to generate that sort of power.
The Minigorilla also pairs up with a Solargorilla panel which I may also consider. Probably getting a bit technical but I wonder if I can charge a battery from two sources at the same time ie. solar and dynamo. I know it can be done, I just don't know how.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Correct, the e-werk doesn't come with a battery. At this stage I don't need the cache battery either. My ewerk charges my phone & GPS on the fly. The phone I keep in the handlebar bag providing a waterproof solution. It is also waterproof upto my Garmin Edge 705, now I wish there was a waterproof solution to charge that on the fly. But that will last for about 3 days touring and hopefully don't get wet 3 days in a row all the time.
Does it actually charge the battery in the Garmin Edge 705 or simply provide the power source to the Garmin whilst you are using it?

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

It charges it up, takes about 3hrs to do it but a 50km ride on tour gives enough time to do it. I typically let it get to 30% charge before I recharge it again, but if there is rain in the forecast I'm charging it until the drops start and I'm quickly stopping and removing the lead, putting in handlebar bag and resealing the port on the edge 705 again.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Correct, the e-werk doesn't come with a battery.
Actually, it can do. However I have bought the Powermonkey Extreme, which is a bit bigger in size (about double) but has 9000mAh rather than 1400mAh.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Max

Postby Max » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 pm

IP, what's your experience with the power monkey extreme been like? Any hassles?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Inspired by this thread I decided to re-jig my setup so that the Powermonkey was charged by the dynohub then connected it through to my Garmin 705.
Instead of the Garmin showing the "External power lost" message whenever I stop, it stays on but..... I got "External power lost" whenever I moved. Looks like the Powermonkey does not produce any output while it is charging :(
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 pm

That is how my e-werk unit operates. I stop and the Garmin loses external power and is then running off batteries until you start moving again. I did have the cache battery but managed to fry it :( Got cabling mixed up and it ended up connected straight to my dynamo! The variable power cooked it

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:49 am

Max wrote:IP, what's your experience with the power monkey extreme been like? Any hassles?
I've only had the Powermonkey for about 4 weeks and have not had any real opportunities or need to use it so far. It will get used on future longer tours that I am planning to do - beginning with Central Australia in July. I did use it to charge up the Ipad and it put barely a dent in the Powermonkey charge level. On tour I plan to carry the Powermonkey in the handlebar bag and recharge via the e-werk. It also has a solar panel, but not sure just how useful/effective this will be - it will of course depend on sun height and intensity. Often during the brightest times of the day I would probably be riding and it may be tricky to rig the (fairly small) panel up to collect energy on the bike or panniers.

I shall give further reports after it has been used on tours.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks, IP. Looking forward to your review.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Picked up and fitted my new E Werk this week. What a little beauty. It powers my Edge 800 on-the-go, but as others have said it won't charge the unit, no matter.
I'm just wondering what Amperage the E Werk should be set for with the Edge? The E Werk manual says that with USB charged devices it should be set at 4.9V and 0.5A, but it also says that the E Werk should be set at the same rating as a device's mains AC charger. The Edge 800's AC charger is labelled with 5V (4.9 on the E Werk) and 1A max.
Should I set the E Werk for 0.5A or 1A, or somewhere in between? I don't want to cook the Garmin battery.
Also, if anybody knows, can you have leads made up with customised tips? The E Werk doesn't come with many adapters, basically just USB, mini and micro. I would like to charge my Nokia phone but don't have the tip. I would also like to charge the Minigorilla storage battery I just recently bought. The Minigorilla is a little ripper too. It has the fittings to charge up the Edge, Nokia phone, and tons of other devices and is just now charging up my Ayup battery as an experiment. The aim is to be able to charge the Minigorilla from the EWerk, it should be possible but I need the connectors. I am just a bit confused as to how to identify a tip and then join it to a lead, I'd rather have it done professionally as I'm all thumbs (and dumb) when it comes to delicate soldering and electronics.

Edit; I can charge my phone from the E Werk with an adapter from the Minigorilla kit but still need a lead to charge the Minigorilla from the E Werk.
Last edited by Tim on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Tim, I would be very interested to know the result of your Ayup charging experiment. My mum's new touring bike has a dynamo hub and dynamo lights, but they're craptacular compared to the Ayups. I'd like to find a way to charge the Ayups without access to AC mains. Let us know how it turns out!

Max

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Max, the Ayup battery seems to be happily charging up at the moment, the little red light on the orange box is blinking. I'll let you know when/if it reaches full charge. Nothing has exploded..... yet!
I suspect the problem I'm going to encounter is charging the Minigorilla on the road. I'm not up with the calculations but I think it is possible although it could take a long time. I don't know how to work out charging times at given Voltage/Amperage/Wattage. All I know is that VxA=W. That's the sum total of my high school physics memory.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Tim wrote:Picked up and fitted my new E Werk this week. What a little beauty. It powers my Edge 800 on-the-go, but as others have said it won't charge the unit, no matter.
I'm just wondering what Amperage the E Werk should be set for with the Edge? The E Werk manual says that with USB charged devices it should be set at 4.9V and 0.5A, but it also says that the E Werk should be set at the same rating as a device's mains AC charger. The Edge 800's AC charger is labelled with 5V (4.9 on the E Werk) and 1A max.
Should I set the E Werk for 0.5A or 1A, or somewhere in between? I don't want to cook the Garmin battery.
Also, if anybody knows, can you have leads made up with customised tips? The E Werk doesn't come with many adapters, basically just USB, mini and micro. I would like to charge my Nokia phone but don't have the tip. I would also like to charge the Minigorilla storage battery I just recently bought. The Minigorilla is a little ripper too. It has the fittings to charge up the Edge, Nokia phone, and tons of other devices and is just now charging up my Ayup battery as an experiment. The aim is to be able to charge the Minigorilla from the EWerk, it should be possible but I need the connectors. I am just a bit confused as to how to identify a tip and then join it to a lead, I'd rather have it done professionally as I'm all thumbs (and dumb) when it comes to delicate soldering and electronics.

Edit; I can charge my phone from the E Werk with an adapter from the Minigorilla kit but still need a lead to charge the Minigorilla from the E Werk.
There are 2 mini usb cables for the e-werk. You need to use #8 cable to charge the 705 so might be the same for your 800.