n00bie milestones

foo on patrol

Re: n00bie milestones

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Also managed to fall off when I tried to stand up in the saddle on the rollers, the resistance really isn't high enough I find, as soon as I stand up I'd need to be spinning really hard to feel anything at all. Luckily I just fell of the back of the rollers and not completely over :P
Bugger! :oops: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 pm

CatCanRide wrote:Mrfenejeans 5,000ks is only a dream for me at this stage of my riding career. Which raises the question - when do you no longer consider yourself to be a newbie at riding a bicycle?
I'm sure that there is always something new that hasn't happened to experienced riders.

I've only been cycling for 12months and have only become a more serious road cyclist since august 2011. In the eyes of the 30-40year old cyclists in a group ride i do at 24years old im still to be treated as a "young fella who needs to be taught(and spoken down to)", which is a good thing and i appreciate the fact that they do it.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm

As far as I can remember, my best average for an hour+ ride tonight, 28.8kmh. Did just over 40km in 1hr 23min.
Also, after getting my Avanti and starting riding in November 2011, the odometer clicked over 2000km tonight.

As a few others have been saying, keep up the milestones, I love reading other peoples :)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 pm

36km ride with a 33km/h average :D :D :D First ride with a 33km/h average think im getting better
Last edited by Mrfenejeans on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Ok will share some of mine :)

I don't know what my total kms would be for my bike...I sort of wish I did looking at all your totals, but I'm a little bit too lazy to work it out because I would have to add up the total of Garmin and add individually the ones on RunKeeper.

Anyway my milestones include my first 100km ride back in early January. I haven't done another on since, but I would like to soon I hope. I was hoping to get one done in February but time is running away from me.

My other milestone is (it isn't just bike related) that I completed my first triathlon on Sunday. 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

I'm loving the new options that this wonderful, beautiful, love of my life (til I get a better one :wink: ) bike has given me. I would never have dreamt of doing 100kms or a triathlon on my trusty old mountain bike. Life is good with a good bike 8)
i love my bike(s)

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:36km ride with a 33km/h average First ride with a 33km/h average think im getting better
nice one-up :wink: i'm jealous!
and great work blossy84 on the Triathlon and the 100km ride. I'm 2/3 of the way towards ever competing in a Tri, but couldn't swim 50 metres if someone paid me!

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm

oldnewby wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:36km ride with a 33km/h average First ride with a 33km/h average think im getting better
nice one-up :wink: i'm jealous!
and great work blossy84 on the Triathlon and the 100km ride. I'm 2/3 of the way towards ever competing in a Tri, but couldn't swim 50 metres if someone paid me!
Thanks Old Newby. About a month before the Tri I couldn't swim very far without stopping, dont know how far exactly, but my previous swimming attempts were in a 25m pool and having a break at every end. I couldn't run far either without stopping, maybe 2km max if I was lucky. A bit of training and I did the 750m swim in the ocean with no breaks and managed to run the 5km without walking. I have a long way to go to improve both my technique and timing for the swim and the run (and the ride for that matter), but I did what I set out to do and complete it without stopping for breaks. Who knows what you could do in a month if you went swimming regulary. :D
i love my bike(s)

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 pm

blossy84 wrote:Thanks Old Newby. About a month before the Tri I couldn't swim very far without stopping, dont know how far exactly, but my previous swimming attempts were in a 25m pool and having a break at every end. I couldn't run far either without stopping, maybe 2km max if I was lucky. A bit of training and I did the 750m swim in the ocean with no breaks and managed to run the 5km without walking. I have a long way to go to improve both my technique and timing for the swim and the run (and the ride for that matter), but I did what I set out to do and complete it without stopping for breaks. Who knows what you could do in a month if you went swimming regulary.
true true... but I am currently happy spending any spare time I can on the bike :) who knows, maybe one day! Well done again, good read on how far you've progressed on all 3 disciplines... but mostly cycling :wink:

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 pm

oldnewby wrote:true true... but I am currently happy spending any spare time I can on the bike :)
I know what you mean! So much I want to do, but so little time, this thing called work is always messing about my plans :evil: :P
i love my bike(s)

elfrog

Postby elfrog » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 am

I hadn't been on a bike in about 10 years, until about 2 months and 600km ago, I set my short term goal to be able to ride 30km/h over 30kms at the Murray to Moyne, first rides were around 26 km/h then 28 with 2 other riders, currently doing just a smidge under 34km/h so I'm very happy. I'm not sure if I'm doing very effective training but because I only have a short time left I'm trying to balance the time I need to rest and recover with the pushing I need to do on the bike in order to make my legs and lungs improve. So I'm tending to push myself very hard for two days/rides then don't ride again until I'm fully recovered hence the small amount of km's I've done, is it better to do more kilometres but more gently ?

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Had my first break on a bike yesterday. The damn hanger for my rear deraileur snapped whilst changing gears going up a hill! That was interesting!!!

the rear wheel is a bit out of shape as a result, looks like the chain etc are all OK, just the hanger and the rear wheel - local LBS is looking at all that for me now.

Dammit, was gonna try do some hill training today too! Unfortunately I can't know, til at least next week - what a shame!! :( NOT! :D

Nah, really was getting on a roll with training and starting to actually push myself in my rides, so its a bugger I'll be off the road for 1 week or so.

On another milestone, I did a 60km loop of Beach Road here in Melbourne, first time. Have never seen so many bikes in one place at one time - quite inspiring!!! And I clocked my best average for a longish ride then too (managed an average of 24.4 km/h which I am happy with) as the last 10km stretch is quite lumpy and I am absolutely shocking on even the smallest hills.

Will keep doing that ride hopefully every fortnight and start trying to smash that average to the 30kmh mark !!!
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

As someone who avoids going fast most of the time, I was pleased with my effort in last year's Blayney to Bathurst 70k. I'd never done a serious ride before and had no idea what to expect. I certainly wasn't picturing 13 degree temps and rain when I was imagining the ride in the weeks leading up to the it. :shock: Conditions were ordinary, wet and cool :cry: and I averaged 29.5 km/h over the distance. For me 30km/h average marks the line between good steady pedalling and having a real dig. :mrgreen:

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:
CatCanRide wrote:Mrfenejeans 5,000ks is only a dream for me at this stage of my riding career. Which raises the question - when do you no longer consider yourself to be a newbie at riding a bicycle?
I'm sure that there is always something new that hasn't happened to experienced riders.

I've only been cycling for 12months and have only become a more serious road cyclist since august 2011. In the eyes of the 30-40year old cyclists in a group ride i do at 24years old im still to be treated as a "young fella who needs to be taught(and spoken down to)", which is a good thing and i appreciate the fact that they do it.
Are you sure that you're being spoken down to, or just pointing out that there are better ways of doing things! :?:

If someone talks down at me, I ber up and you get no..respect from me! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ozdavo

n00bie milestones

Postby ozdavo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 am

Longest solo ride to date: 110.3km at 28.5km/hr. 1st half was Southbound into a strong South Easterly, the trip home was a little easier but the wind had swung around a little to be more of an Easterly so was fighting the x-wind.

My second ton in 8 days and about 6th since getting the roady about 6 months ago. Last weeks 112km included a 60km group ride.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Finally!

I've had the bike for nearly 2 months and I've just completed a 30km ride!

Having road shoes makes a lot of difference, especially on the hills as you can pedal on the upstroke too, it's like having four wheel drive in the mud!

So my stats for this ride are -

Distance: 30km (Runkeeper paused my activity a few times and only logged 29.13km)
Time: 1h 20s
Average Speed: 25.7kph
Elevation: 200m

I currently weigh 95.6kg

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

ozdavo wrote:Longest solo ride to date: 110.3km at 28.5km/hr. 1st half was Southbound into a strong South Easterly, the trip home was a little easier but the wind had swung around a little to be more of an Easterly so was fighting the x-wind.
My second ton in 8 days and about 6th since getting the roady about 6 months ago. Last weeks 112km included a 60km group ride.
I don't think you qualify for this thread anymore :wink:

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm

No biggie for all you mountain goats, but I went up Mt. Gravatt for the first time today. Hit a new high for my heart rate, at 187bpm, which is 7bpm above my age max heart of 180bpm.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Longest ride ever today, 113.64 km. From Ashfield down to Waterfall then through the royal national park to Bundeena, ferry to Cronulla and then home again. 1050 meters of climbing. Beautiful weather and awesome fun bombing some big descents (and then time to think about things on the long climb afterwards :P ). Bike fit certainly did its job, last time I went as far I had knee problems for two weeks afterwards but today I feel fine, just tired.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:27 pm

briztoon wrote:No biggie for all you mountain goats, but I went up Mt. Gravatt for the first time today. Hit a new high for my heart rate, at 187bpm, which is 7bpm above my age max heart of 180bpm.

Congratulations, thats a good one to start with...Coot-tha, Nebo, Springbrook and Binna Burra will start calling soon :wink:
Lisa

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:59 pm

ozdavo wrote:Longest solo ride to date: 110.3km at 28.5km/hr. 1st half was Southbound into a strong South Easterly, the trip home was a little easier but the wind had swung around a little to be more of an Easterly so was fighting the x-wind.

Mate, do you have a link to the GC Climbers group that you ride with ? I can't seem find them.
You have officially become your parents.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:41 pm

marinmomma wrote:
briztoon wrote:No biggie for all you mountain goats, but I went up Mt. Gravatt for the first time today. Hit a new high for my heart rate, at 187bpm, which is 7bpm above my age max heart of 180bpm.

Congratulations, thats a good one to start with...Coot-tha, Nebo, Springbrook and Binna Burra will start calling soon :wink:
Thank you marinmomma. Some one was doing their best to talk me in to Coot-tha today. Let's just say their honesty didn't do them any favours.

ozdavo

n00bie milestones

Postby ozdavo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Ken Ho wrote:
Mate, do you have a link to the GC Climbers group that you ride with ? I can't seem find them.
http://m.facebook.com/pages/GC-Climbers ... 07724&_rdr
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 pm

briztoon wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

Thank you marinmomma. Some one was doing their best to talk me in to Coot-tha today. Let's just say their honesty didn't do them any favours.

It's the thought of it and the unknown which kept me away for so long...now I can see myself doing laps on Coot-tha by later this year.

Today I learnt that I prefer a solid climbing road rather than an undulating road...although I still prefer a flat road with a tailwind, but that gets pretty boring :wink:
Lisa

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 am

Mini milestone today. First 60k ride. 60.3kms. Can someone pass me the radox.. :shock:

Dave1983

Postby Dave1983 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 am

Well, completed my first Great Brisbane Bike Ride this morning- did the 50km length... (though my computer only registered 45 km)
Was aiming to get it done in 2 hours- clocked in at 1 hour 42 mins... makes me a very happy man after only being on a bike for 3 months.
Can't say I enjoyed the climb up the Gateway Bridge- but I did it. I hadnt ridden in a group before and found it very satisfying riding at 30km/hour plus and having a couple of people drafting behind me!! I dont think they were keeping up to tell the truth- cause they didnt spend any time at the front... anyway- ego trip :)

Anyway, thats my ego boost for the day... really nice to know how I am progressing- it was a brilliant ride. Loved it... Mt Cootha you are mine next year.