Urban assault vehicle

PeteV

Urban assault vehicle

Postby PeteV » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:57 pm

I manager to pick up an old school lugged MTB frame from Dave after looking for a CX style bike to build up. I reaaly wanted a Winter bike with wide tyres, something I could add fenders to, maybe a rack and use as a shopping mule and not worry too much about anyone tring to steal it. Frame, wheels, seatpost and fork cost me $75 and the rest is from my parts box. Single speed conversion kit with a 16t cog at the moment, Veloce crank running 39t ring, cheapy Tioga saddle, Alivio V-brakes, flat bar and quill stem which maybe going for a converter stem so I can run 1 1/8 stem and riser bars. Feels really fun to ride, nice and comfortable and does wicked bunny hops!

Alistair

Re: Urban assault vehicle

Postby Alistair » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Do you need some tyres? I bought some Schwalbe CX Pros last week, but somehow ended up with the 26" version rather than the 700s I was after. Can't be bothered arguing with chainreaction, so was going to sell them.

The bike looks good anyway. The old steel mtbs are so much nicer than the cheap modern rubbish so many people seem to ride

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 pm

How wide are they mate? Will need new tyres soonish as the ones on there are starting to perish.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Crikey, you work fast.
Looks good like that. Pretty heavy to be bunny hoppin..no?

I had a late 80's cro mo specialized rockhopper that I kinda hybridised a coupla years back, and was running fat slicks on the 26 rims. I fitted some old school chrome guards from a 27 inch clunker(ricardo or sumpin) that worked well, fitted nicely and had plenty of tyre clearance. Keep an eye on hard rubbish or a $20 ebay/gumtree pick up for donor.

certainly different from what I had planned for this but looks like it's got plenty of potential.
Lugs FTW.

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I just had to get it running ASAP coz I was obsessing over it for the last couple of weeks! I'm thinking of splurging on a decent set of canti's for it, some nice fenders and maybe a rack for the back and make it my permanent work mule. My dad still has a Shogun Team Prairie Breaker which has an almost cammo paint job and it got me thinking of painting this one a darkish matte green with black forks. Thanks again Dave, was nice to finally meet someone from the forums!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:24 pm

No problemo, glad to see this frame get some love and a new life.
In typical (tragic) bike nerd fashion, I took your $75 ,rolled it into a few scrimped $$$ and purchased a rolling SS roadie from gumtree.
Cinelli bars and stem, 105 hubs laced to velocity rims, columbus panto'd chrome fork and what seems to be Columbus SP frame from the 27mm seat post.
not sure where this is headed yet till i strip it, but it may have an english BB from early inspections, so could end up with a 9 speed STI upgrade and guards for commuting.
Nice to have met ya too :wink:

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Sounds good mate, although I thought you might've been tempted by one of those $98 Big W fixies! :mrgreen:

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm

PeteV wrote:How wide are they mate? Will need new tyres soonish as the ones on there are starting to perish.
They are fairly narrow cx tyres so probably not what you are after. They look to be the same width as a 34-35 700c CX tyre.