Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Express

Arlberg

Re: Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Expres

Postby Arlberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm

r6bigo wrote:Hi Garbo,

May I ask you, what is your weight??

I suspect this is caused purely by our weight! A light weight mechanic 60kg cannot get any noise! A 80kg + rider will have lots of noise!

Maybe its the design of the wheels?? I jump on my brother's bike purchased from ebay! Doing some tests, sprinting, uphill.. Etc. No noise from a Mavic krysium equipped wheels! Or should I say no noise at all from the bike!

Billy

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
I am 86kg and I have had no problems with the wheels, but I do have an occasional creak which I am unable to identify so far. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike but its hard to tell. It happens so randomly it is hard to pin down what causes it. I started another thread about it some time ago.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=49241

TDC

Postby TDC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Arlberg wrote:
r6bigo wrote:Hi Garbo,

May I ask you, what is your weight??

I suspect this is caused purely by our weight! A light weight mechanic 60kg cannot get any noise! A 80kg + rider will have lots of noise!

Maybe its the design of the wheels?? I jump on my brother's bike purchased from ebay! Doing some tests, sprinting, uphill.. Etc. No noise from a Mavic krysium equipped wheels! Or should I say no noise at all from the bike!

Billy

I am 86kg and I have had no problems with the wheels, but I do have an occasional creak which I am unable to identify so far. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike but its hard to tell. It happens so randomly it is hard to pin down what causes it. I started another thread about it some time ago.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=49241
check that the QR levers are tight enough.

r6bigo

Postby r6bigo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:29 am

OK just do a group ride with my friends! Still have the creaking seatpost noise! Very annoying!
I can literally put pressure on the saddle and I get the creaking noise!
My friends reckons the frame flexs too much! This shouldn't be ridden by a heavy guy like me (90kgs).
I doubt CE will do a refund for me! I m stuck with a noise bike!!

I will try to take it back to my lbs about the creaking noise!

Wish me luck!

Billy

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 am

r6bigo wrote:OK just do a group ride with my friends! Still have the creaking seatpost noise! Very annoying!
I can literally put pressure on the saddle and I get the creaking noise!
My friends reckons the frame flexs too much! This shouldn't be ridden by a heavy guy like me (90kgs).
I doubt CE will do a refund for me! I m stuck with a noise bike!!

I will try to take it back to my lbs about the creaking noise!

Wish me luck!

Billy

I am just as heavy as you, so I rather doubt it has anything to do with the weight.

I would get it checked out again.

As for CE taking it back they supposedly offer 40 day refund policy.

If you can believe anything you see on there website.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mezla

Postby mezla » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:46 pm

I am 90kg. I ride pretty hard. I don't get any creaking. If the creaking you get is due to the frame (unlikely IMO), I think it would suggest it is a faulty frame, and should be replaced under warranty, regardless of the 40 day returns offer.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:13 am

Robigo, once you've fixed whatever's causing the creaks in your bike, can you fix whatever's causing the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!s in your posts? :)
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am

Hahaha yes Chris... yes :D

janus77

Postby janus77 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm

...he's got im!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I was a bit surprised to learn you had a spoke tension meter Billy, because you've otherwise not been
very systematic about investigating your mysterious creaks.

But if you have such a sophisticated tool, I should probably expect you to have more fundamental
tools like a stationary trainer and a stethoscope. You need to get yourself on the bike and on the
trainer, and have one of your cycling buddies use the stethoscope to listen for where the noise
is coming from.

Your idea that 90kG is the problem is, IMHO, bunkum. Pretty much any good quality road bike is
good for 110 kG, and some are rated better. Others here that are more than 90 kG aren't having
your trouble, and neither is a mate of mine who's very happy with his very creakless Di2 Forza
Pro.

My bet is that the creaks are coming from the stray exclamation marks that are hiding under your
saddle. Seriously, you're frightening the poor animal Billy, and need to lighten up :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

gassyndrome

Postby gassyndrome » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Is it the rails on the saddle? I had the creaking problem on a fizik saddle. Fixed with a bit of Teflon lube in the rail holes and grease in the seat post saddle thing. Drove me crazy when I couldn't figure it out.

scyzer

Postby scyzer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm

I had creaking sounds on my bike as well. Kept happening while I was pedaling, was fine otherwise (even under load) - hence I thought it was the BB. It didn't matter whether I was on a trainer or riding on the road.

Took it to the LBS I frequent, turns out it had nothing to do BB but rather the seat post needing better lubrication.

r6bigo

Postby r6bigo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi all,

CE agreed to refund the money. All I can say is they do stick to their words. Well done!

I have gone ahead and bought myself a Giant TCR Advanced 0 2012. Using Strava to compare the results. I can confirm that the Giant is a better bike. Faster laptime/segment with lower heart rates... Etc.

Azzurri Di2 still is a bargain!

Billy

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

r6bigo wrote:I have gone ahead and bought myself a Giant TCR Advanced 0 2012. Using Strava to compare the results. I can confirm that the Giant is a better bike. Faster laptime/segment with lower heart rates... Etc.
Well that settles it. Science at work.

:roll: :lol: :roll:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:50 am

mezla wrote:
r6bigo wrote:I have gone ahead and bought myself a Giant TCR Advanced 0 2012. Using Strava to compare the results. I can confirm that the Giant is a better bike. Faster laptime/segment with lower heart rates... Etc.
Well that settles it. Science at work.

:roll: :lol: :roll:
+10. If anyone has any doubts about CE, Billy's unique experience is very reassuring.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

cjawnik

Postby cjawnik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:28 pm

I read every page of this thread expecting a massive blowup towards the end where nobody got their bike. I got the requisite number of defensive/apologist idiot posts which kept things entertaining, but the message I got is a great deal offered by CE and everyone should be really happy with their purchase.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 pm

cjawnik wrote:I read every page of this thread expecting a massive blowup towards the end where nobody got their bike. I got the requisite number of defensive/apologist idiot posts which kept things entertaining, but the message I got is a great deal offered by CE and everyone should be really happy with their purchase.
I wouldn't say everybody is happy.

Mine has just started making creaking noises to, so overall, I think the only good thing about the Azzurri is the gear system.

The frame itself just doesn't seem as comfortable as the Cannondale cad 8 I had before this.

Nowhere near as fast on downhill runs either.

The cad on one of the hills I go down nearly everyday would get up to 58kmh fairly easily, the Azzurri I am lucky to get up to 52kmh.

Yes I know it's not very scientific etc, it's just an observation.

Also the Azzurri seems to ride a lot rougher.

So now, I am seriously thinking about getting a different frame to put the good bits on.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

panadvx100a

Postby panadvx100a » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 am

I've been itching to contribute to this post. This is actually the only forum that contains information on this bike and I read it before I made my purchase. I originally owned a cellteam aluminium 105 roadbike so that is all I have to compare it to.

I've owned this bike for about 2 months now. When I first purchased the bike I took it out on its first ride and it lasted 10km. I was getting chain slip going uphill and as I was near my destination I persisted. Somehow the rear deraileur got caught on the chain and it got nearly ripped off. I was so so disheartened and depressed. A friend said I should take it to a bike shop to get it looked at before I ride but who would've thought something like this would happen.

Back it went to Cycleexpress and they took 2 weeks to get it fixed after many calls ( it took a week to get them to even look at it). A friend had almost the same experience with an Azzuri Forza with the 105 groupset. It took them a month to get a replacement for him after he said he was sick of waiting. The rear deraileur they replaced it with was scratched and the paint that had come off from where the original had sheared off was not fixed. I was not impressed but I was grateful I had a bike back.
Anyway once I got it back it still didn't change gears smoothly much to my disappointment. They sent me the paperwork with all the boxes ticked for the inspection. I took it to a local bikeshop to pay them to check it out. The rear sprocket set was not tightened adequately and the rear deraileur was not correctly aligned with the front one. No amount of adjusting would make the gearshifts smooth because it was beyond the adjustment limits and the loose sprockets would ensure the chain was never held in the same spot. The shop had a special tool to align it. Whether the misalignment was a defect or was caused by the deraileur shearing off I cannot say.

Two other guys got the same bike from my workplace and they have not had problems. 2 of us have clicking noises from the seatpost with moderate response to carbon grease. I really love the gearset. The saddle is total crap though. The bike handles and fits much better than my Cell 105 bike and is faster and more comfortable. I love the bike and would recommend it.

What do I think of Cycleexpress? They do honour their warranty BUT they do not put their bikes together properly. I think if I ever buy from the internet providers again I'd pay someone to put the bike together. The problems I had were not just simple adjustments to the gearset.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:35 pm

panadvx100a wrote: Whether the misalignment was a defect or was caused by the deraileur shearing off I cannot say.

Well, it's a different derailleur, isn't it? More likely to have been put back on in a hurry, and your LBS had to correct that.

BTW, your bike's been reviewed in one of the magazines I read last week.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 pm

panadvx100a wrote: Whether the misalignment was a defect or was caused by the deraileur shearing off I cannot say.

Well, it's a different derailleur, isn't it? More likely to have been put back on in a hurry, and your LBS had to correct that.

BTW, your bike's been reviewed in one of the magazines I read last week.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:15 pm

I had a similar experience with Cycling Express. As soon as I rode this bike for the first time it was evident it hadn't been set up properly, or even looked at by Cycling Express prior to it being sent out to me, despite what they write on their website. Things like:

'Every bike we supply is fully assembled, checked, tested, loved and caressed by one of our NMIT accredited bicycle mechanics. NMIT accredited bicycle mechanics have a high level of skill in a variety of diverse areas. This guarantees that our bike mechanics have the meticulous skills needed to properly assemble your bike to make sure that it will be safe for you to ride and provide you with lots of satisfaction over the years to come'.

When we have assembled your new bike one of our mechanics will take it for a spin on our specially designed test course to check that it rides well, and that everything is working as it should be.

Yeah right..

Well the gears on my bike did not change smoothly and it was impossible to shift onto the large cog on the rear deralliuer. The front brake was not adjusted at all and made a very loud grinding noise every time it was applied. The final straw for me came after less than 50km of riding when the left hand crank pedal arm came completely off the bike while I was pushing hard up a hill, almost causing me to crash very heavily. Luckily, it being Xmas morning there were no cars around to run me over as I veered violently across the road. Obviously the crank arm had not been torsioned or adjusted properly. I doubt Cycling Express even opened it to check it after recieving it from Taiwan, and before sending it on to me.

I was not happy, and for a while I got the runaround from Cycling Express. To be fair it was over the Xmas New Year break though, so that was probably a factor. Eventually they did agree to replace the damaged parts and send a local mobile bike mechanic over to install them and fix it at their cost. (I am in Sydney). The mechanic put on the new crank arm (the original was completely stripped in the splines) and did a full safety check and adjustment and since then the bike has performed well, even though it still has an occasional creak which I am unable to identify.

The creak is getting worse though so I will get my LBS to give the bike a full check up and grease/lube of the bottom bracket, where the front forks go into the frame, around the seat post and anywhere else that might be causing the creak. Other posters to this forum have mentioned that they found these areas not to be lubed sufficiently.

Cycling Express did come to the party in the end, but they really should have a good look at the way they run their business. A lot of people read these posts and all these negative experiences can only damage their reputation.

Like some other buyers of this bike have already mentioned if I can't fix the creak I will mount the parts from this bike onto another frame.
Last edited by Arlberg on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

panadvx100a

Postby panadvx100a » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:22 pm

My point is the bike is great but the assembly is poor leading to significant issues. TWICE in my case. I would expect them to fix it asap to protect their reputation but it was just downright painful having to chase it up with them.

I would just factor in the cost of a trip to the LBS if you buy from them.

The squeaking is from the seatpost in my bike. I lubed it with carbon grease and it only squeaks softly now. My friends super duper Cadel Replica BMC makes a horrendous noise so I think its a design feature. I can live with it.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I see a bit of creaking going on here. My bike has clocked up over 2500km and all is good. But it wasn't that good a week ago.

The sudden appearance of rear-end creaking under heavy power had me worried. Plus some odd occasional chain line sounds which seemed like the rear derailleur was about to do an "auto change" at the same time. I wondered what could have suddenly brought this on. Nightmarish visions of a cracked frame or stay came to mind. Then I remembered that I had the rear wheel off to fix a flat a few days prior (the usual shard of glass).

The rear skewer was already done up reasonably tight. Anyway, I undid it and did it up again - supertight this time. All fixed! :D

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:40 pm

ozzymac wrote:
The cad on one of the hills I go down nearly everyday would get up to 58kmh fairly easily, the Azzurri I am lucky to get up to 52kmh.
The thread you have in The Shed all makes sense now :roll:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Some ideas to troubleshoot creaks:

Seat post
apply carbon paste, grease, or talcum powder to the seat post, and torque to spec.
grease and torque the seat post clamp.
Some have mentioned greasing the seat post quietened down the creaks. I wonder if the seat tube has not been fabricated well, and is slightly oversized, allowing excessive post movement.

Saddle
if you have another saddle, put it on and tighten it firmly, and see if that gets rid of the creak.
if it does, then put the original one back on tightening the rail fasteners firmly. As a troubleshooting step, grease the rails. (you can clean them later)
I had a creak once that came from a stress fracture that developed in the saddle base layer.
You could turn the saddle upside down and spray all suspect bits with wd40 or grease.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 pm

PawPaw wrote:Some ideas to troubleshoot creaks:

Seat post
apply carbon paste, grease, or talcum powder to the seat post, and torque to spec.
grease and torque the seat post clamp.
Some have mentioned greasing the seat post quietened down the creaks. I wonder if the seat tube has not been fabricated well, and is slightly oversized, allowing excessive post movement.

Saddle
if you have another saddle, put it on and tighten it firmly, and see if that gets rid of the creak.
if it does, then put the original one back on tightening the rail fasteners firmly. As a troubleshooting step, grease the rails. (you can clean them later)
I had a creak once that came from a stress fracture that developed in the saddle base layer.
You could turn the saddle upside down and spray all suspect bits with wd40 or grease.
The creaks on my bike don't originate solely from the saddle because they also occur when I am riding out of the saddle.
On my bike at least they seem to be coming from the steerer or head tube or somewhere around there, maybe the front forks...?
It is very random, the bike can be perfectly quiet on a bumpy road one minute and then creak when the surface is perfectly smooth the next. Overall the incidence of creaking is increasing however.
I think I will get some of this carbon paste stuff and put it every surface where there is contact between two parts and see how that goes.