Best tyres for commuting?

Comedian

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am

Inwood wrote:
Comedian wrote:That's a great idea. Anything to get rid of those Vittoria Randonneurs!
That reminds me, I lost grip the other day and almost came off. I have a 32mm randonneur on the back and a 25mm marathon plus on the front. Both tyres got wet from a section of seepage coming through cracks in the road which caught me off guard (the road was otherwise dry), then just after that I was cornering at speed over a metal manhole cover. (Yes yes I know not a good idea, it was not well done). Anyway, the randonneur let go but re-stuck and I managed to stay on. I have to figure out a scientific way to compare the 2 tyres, but it seems (in a non scientific way) that the marathon plus has more grip. Wouldn't you normally expect to lose the front wheel in a situation like this? Anyway I'm alive and unscratched so its all good, and re-remindered about manholes...
Hmmm.. the amazing thing about the Randonneurs is that they seem to have so many qualities... so few of them good. They have a soft compound so they wear quickly - fear not though - they are the lowest gripping tyre I've ridden. What's more they are quite low pressure which may help their ride compliance. However they are slow. As soon as you stop pedalling you can feel the bike slowing with tyre drag. They are like riding in thick mud... slippery and with lots of drag.

The only positive attribute I can find is that they seem to be impervious to punctures. I've done nearly three k on them now without a puncture... touch wood. The back is heavily flatted to the point where the tread is nearly gone in the middle but I guess I better wear it out before I can toss it!

I put Michelin Pro Optimimum 700x25s that were castoffs because they were too slow on the road bike and they transformed the bike. It was so easy to pedal! Unfortunately after 5 punctures in two weeks the Vittorias got another chance...

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm on 700x35 Michelin Trackers on my new Surly Cross Check. Dare I sing their praises and risk upsetting the puncture gods? They seem like a good all round tyre - good on road, OK off road. Only a few hundred km on them, but I like the positive start.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Up to about 730km mostly commuting and all riding around Sydney roads on my conti GP 4 seasons with no punctures, going great so far with very little wear. And let me stress that I don't avoid glass or anything, today I rode over what seemed to have been a car accident, glass everywhere and no problems, they're great around corners and in the wet too.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:38 pm

I thought my cheap $11.50 Michelins were going good until today. 1015kms and looking hardly worn. Got 3 punctures at once. Lots of embeded glass. Back to the Marathon Cross which will hopefully get me 2000kms before going to some 28mm Marathons.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Heve just converted to tubeless Crossmark lust on the front and crossmark non ust on the rear. Been on for 2 weeks with no problems so far. My ride contains areas of deep sand so I need a wider tyre.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 am

gavinr wrote:
gavinr wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've decided to go with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus's. (I liked the sound of the Durano Plus's too, but they're not available in 28 width.) I'll let you know how I get on with them (once I've tracked down the best price deal).
I did end up buying these (from Evans), fantastic ride and no punctures yet after probably 1,500 kms in them.
Just thought I'd post an update on my experiences. The front Marathon Plus is still going strong and I've just clocked past 7,000 kms on it. It looks like it's got a good bit of life left in it yet.

The first rear one did about 2,000kms before it got damaged through my stupidity (a badly mounted bungee cord wore it down in about 10km :oops:) The second did 4,000km, at which point it had no tread and was as square as a box girder. Now onto my third and still happily puncture free (apart from one incident which I'm sure was a faulty tube and nothing to do with the tyres).

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Maxxis Refuse 700x23, amazing commuter tyres at ~300g.
On my good wheelset are tubeless Hutchinson Fusion 3, dual compound, now THEY corner !
7 steel bikes and counting

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Up to 1400kms on my conti GP 4 seasons now with no punctures. They still look pretty good, front is nearly as new while the back has a few surface cuts but nothing that I think will effect them in the near term. So impressed with them on my road bike that I got a set for my new dedicated commuter, look forward to the same performance out of them.

gassyndrome

Postby gassyndrome » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Up to 1400kms on my conti GP 4 seasons now with no punctures. They still look pretty good, front is nearly as new while the back has a few surface cuts but nothing that I think will effect them in the near term. So impressed with them on my road bike that I got a set for my new dedicated commuter, look forward to the same performance out of them.
I've gotten 5000 kms out of a set without a puncture before. They just end up going square on the top profile eventually.

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Got my first puncture in 1.5-2.5 years...
nasty piece of glass but I do ride in a very urban environment with lots of glass...
It was so unexpected...

plasmapug

Postby plasmapug » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Comedian wrote:Ok... a little update on my Vittoria Randonneurs after about 1700k. No punctures yet. The rear seems to be wearing far faster than I was expecting. I'm not so heavy these days at around the 80kg mark, but I do often carry 10+kg in my panniers plus the bike. Anyway, the rear is quite heavily flatted off to the point where the tread is nearly gone in the middle. I mean it's got a little more to go... but not much. I'd be very surprised if the rear is still serviceable past 4000k which is probably less than I would have hoped for. The front looks brand new.

Now to another factor... they don't grip too well.
I can kind of back this up. I'm running Randonneur Cross Pros (32) and after 4000km, the puncture protection strip is showing (I'm 90kg plus loaded panniers). On the upside, zero punctures in that time, riding over all sorts of stuff. As for grip, I don't really push it hard into corners, so I can't comment. Haven't had any moments though, except for my only fall, when the rear wheel hit some slippery tiles, when I was almost stationary!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:46 am

plasmapug wrote:
Comedian wrote:Ok... a little update on my Vittoria Randonneurs after about 1700k. No punctures yet. The rear seems to be wearing far faster than I was expecting. I'm not so heavy these days at around the 80kg mark, but I do often carry 10+kg in my panniers plus the bike. Anyway, the rear is quite heavily flatted off to the point where the tread is nearly gone in the middle. I mean it's got a little more to go... but not much. I'd be very surprised if the rear is still serviceable past 4000k which is probably less than I would have hoped for. The front looks brand new.

Now to another factor... they don't grip too well.
I can kind of back this up. I'm running Randonneur Cross Pros (32) and after 4000km, the puncture protection strip is showing (I'm 90kg plus loaded panniers). On the upside, zero punctures in that time, riding over all sorts of stuff. As for grip, I don't really push it hard into corners, so I can't comment. Haven't had any moments though, except for my only fall, when the rear wheel hit some slippery tiles, when I was almost stationary!
They have done about 2500 now and I hate these tyres. I **really** hate these tyres. As soon as you stop pedalling you can feel the bike slowing like a brake is dragging. Any energy that you put in you just feel it being sucked back out. As soon as the back is down to the coloured belt I'll be throwing the things in the bin.

The only thing they have going for them is they appear impervious to flatting!

MickMelb

Postby MickMelb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Best tyre? All the above proves is that it is dependent on weather/track-roadconditions/tyre width & expectations of rider.

After 4+ years of commuting 20Km daily (avoiding wet days if possible) my own experience is that schwalbe marathons are good.

My commuter is a Cannondale Tourer so started off with original marathons 35 x 700c. After 8,000 km's+ rear was starting to show wear.

Wanted something lighter so changed to Marathon Supremes 32 x 700c which are approx 200g lighter. Got nasty slash on rear in first week (uh-oh!) but have left it alone to see what would happen. Nothing did. Now after 4,000km on the Supremes all still good but the rear is starting to flatten off but expect another 2000km+

My commute is Yarra Main Trail and urban so glass is ever present. No punctures in last 12,000 km+ with the marathons (but am now expecting one tonight !)

Michael

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

While riding home today I wondered whether all the kinetic energy that has been stored in Randonneurs by well meaning cyclists could somehow be recovered and put into the grid... :mrgreen:

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Comedian wrote:While riding home today I wondered whether all the kinetic energy that has been stored in Randonneurs by well meaning cyclists could somehow be recovered and put into the grid... :mrgreen:
really? I don't mind the way they roll, pretty comparable to marathons IMO. Feels like I'm rocket powered once I hop back on my roady though.

They are a massive bastard to take off though - got a flat the other day (crappy rim tape split) and it was a 20 minute tyre change because I couldn't get the bloody thing off.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:13 pm

dillonp wrote:Maxxis Refuse 700x23, amazing commuter tyres at ~300g.
And cheap to boot.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:25 pm

My Marathon Plus tire on the front is still going strong, I've passed 17,000k's on it. No puntures with at least 5 of those pesky cats heads pulled out and nicks showing and it still has tread. 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

martinjs wrote:My Marathon Plus tire on the front is still going strong, I've passed 17,000k's on it. No puntures with at least 5 of those pesky cats heads pulled out and nicks showing and it still has tread. 8)

Martin
Does it still grip ok in the wet?

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Comedian wrote:
martinjs wrote:My Marathon Plus tire on the front is still going strong, I've passed 17,000k's on it. No puntures with at least 5 of those pesky cats heads pulled out and nicks showing and it still has tread. 8)

Martin
Yes it does, onlly time I've had grip problems is in gravel or really loose dirt roads. :shock:

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 pm

martinjs wrote:
Comedian wrote:

Martin
Yes it does, onlly time I've had grip problems is in gravel or really loose dirt roads. :shock:

Martin
Short of MTB tyres there isn't much that would help with that!

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:46 am

I've been commuting on Randonnuers 700x28 on my single speed for the last 5 months and have found them to be excellent however..... on the way to work I go via a bike path that has three footbridges with wooden planking, the slightest amount of drizzle and the rear likes to let loose in the ugliest way. Easiest solution I have found is to slow right down over the bridges or take the route I normally reserve for the home journey!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm

PeteV wrote:I've been commuting on Randonnuers 700x28 on my single speed for the last 5 months and have found them to be excellent however..... on the way to work I go via a bike path that has three footbridges with wooden planking, the slightest amount of drizzle and the rear likes to let loose in the ugliest way. Easiest solution I have found is to slow right down over the bridges or take the route I normally reserve for the home journey!
Yep... Not only are they slow as crazy but they are nearly as hard as hard to keep straight as a politician. :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:32 pm

I've really been liking the Schwalbe Marathon 35x700c tyres that came with my Vivente. I've riden on sealed paths dry/wet, wooden bridges, grass and compacted gravel and they have performed very well. i'll have to see how they fare over the next 6-12 months but my impressions after a week of use has been favourable.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 am

On the trike: Schwalbe Durano 28-406 x 2 and 28-622.

Bulletproof, long lasting and still roll nice and fast.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 am

elStado wrote:I've really been liking the Schwalbe Marathon 35x700c tyres that came with my Vivente.
Went to my LBS looking for the very same after my last run of punctures but instead got sold on Hutchinson urban tours. They show the recommended pressure as 51 psi, which seems awfully soft to me??, with max 80 - I'm running them at a little over 60 at the moment; so far so good. Anyone else use these?
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle