Touring Gear - Sleeping Matts

hartleymartin

Touring Gear - Sleeping Matts

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 am

I'm looking into getting a better sleeping mat. I have a 3/4 length "tombstone" shaped one which I bought a couple of years ago and I've been all places with it (even used it in France and Spain!), but I'm looking for something a bit larger and thicker. I'm 188cm tall, 110kg and rather broad-shouldered so you can imagine that the 50cm-wide matt sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. Is there a good matt about say 70cm wide that any of you would recommend?
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Baalzamon

Re: Touring Gear - Sleeping Matts

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 am

If you want thicker, you can't go past the exped synmat/downmat range.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 am

Baalzamon wrote:If you want thicker, you can't go past the exped synmat/downmat range.
Yep. Exped is the go.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 am

Baalzamon wrote:If you want thicker, you can't go past the exped synmat/downmat range.
But will Martin get the width? I know my Synmat UL 7 is only 52 cm wide. Haven't bothered to look at the other models in the range.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am

The large sizes of the exped range go to 65cm

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 am

Baalzamon wrote:The large sizes of the exped range go to 65cm
Should be close enough then.

Andrew

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look into it. The tiny tomb-stone mat is good enough at a basic level, but I wouldn't want to be sleeping on it more than a couple of nights in a row!

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 am

Hi Martin, is it ok if I chip in? I'm also looking for a light, reasonably comfortable, good quality compact mattress for touring, hiking, camping etc.

I'm slightly smaller, ~68kg/181cm. Was looking at the large sized Therm-a-Rest ProLite which can be had for around $120-130 online. Seems to be the most popular option on most touring sites (e.g. CGOAB).

Anyone else with similar dimensions out there that can recommend a model and size?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Hello. My two cents.

I have bought and used the ubiquitous thermarest, a vaude norde (or whatever they are called) and a multimat. I can honestly say the multimat wins hands down. It is the cheapest, only slightly heavier than the vaude and more comfortable than the other two aswell. It's like a lilo. Folds up v small. The big advantage of course is the price. I would buy two if you're getting them online. The best thing about a cheap mat is your not worried about puncturing it or getting it dirty or losing it etc....

This is the item, pretty sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... irbed.html

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am

The multimat looks good, but I am also looking for something rather wider, more in the 60cm + range. Just to give you an idea of my size, I measure 46 inches around my chest - I'm a BIG BLOKE!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 am

Tis a shame you didn't go look at a Exped mat, apparently there was a 30% off sale on them at mainpeak that ended yesterday. FYI I'm now 49" on my chest and would have been 46" when I was touring with it.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm

I can only comment on the Thermarest NeoAir and Prolite Plus.

I originally didn't like my NeoAir, but it has really grown on me. It is comfortable and it is thick. I found that if it was inflated too much, my hips would be higher than my shoulders and I'd wake with a sore lower back. I then learned to deflate the mat while lying on it until is was comfortable - for my this is when I can lay on my side without being able to push my hip through to the bottom of the mat (touching the ground). It takes a fair bit of inflating compared to the Prolite Plus, but it folds down to be much smaller and lighter. For hiking, this is what I use. For short bike tours, I'll also use it. But...

For my upcoming multi-month tour I'm going to take my Prolite Plus. It's bigger and heavier, but I find that I sleep marginally better on it, especially when using it on consecutive nights. It's 3.8mm thick and a fair bit firmer than the NeoAir and I don't have issues with touching through to the ground on it. It's easier to inflate and it fits into my Compack chair more easily. It seems to be more puncture resistant too, but I don't there's any real evidence for this.

Both are 63cm wide and 196cm long. The new NeoAir X-lite has an R value of 3.2 (I think the older one, which I have was only 2.5). The Prolite Plus has an R value of 3.8

John Holstein

Postby John Holstein » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 pm

I bought two Exped Down Mats, one for me, one for the wife. One of the best camping / touring investments I have made. The down mats prevent cold from coming up from the ground, have their own built in pump that is like about 3 minutes of CPR to pump them up and are very compact when rolled up. They appear to be very durable. I have already spent about 15 nights on them, including one night in Orange which reached minus 2 dgrees celsius.
John Holstein
"if we don't change direction, we will end up where we are headed" (Professor Irwin Corey - 1912-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm

John Holstein wrote:I bought two Exped Down Mats, one for me, one for the wife. One of the best camping / touring investments I have made. The down mats prevent cold from coming up from the ground, have their own built in pump that is like about 3 minutes of CPR to pump them up and are very compact when rolled up.
I actually timed it once and just 90 seconds of steady pumping will get the mat fully inflated. There is a knack to pushing on the pump that makes it work better - slow and regular works best.
John Holstein wrote:They appear to be very durable. I have already spent about 15 nights on them, including one night in Orange which reached minus 2 dgrees celsius.
We used our Synmats for 18 nights around Tasmania and several other trips including 3 nights over Easter. For the first time I find myself sleeping as well as I do on my bed at home Thes mats have a considerably higher R-value (thermal insulation) than Thermarests.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 am

I use the Synmat 7 deluxe I think it's called.It was the biggest 7cm thick one they did at the time. It's been excellent and takes about 75 pumps if you open the valves and let it kind of self inflate while you set up camp.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 am

Mainpeak are selling Exped gear (including all the different mattresses) for 30% off.

I was going to buy a UL Synmat 7 just a few days ago for $139.95, just checked it tonight and saw the price difference.. bought one for $97.30! :D

Go crazy. This sale ends Monday 18 June. Free shipping on orders over $75!

http://www.mainpeak.com.au/content/Bran ... ducts.html

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 am

elStado wrote:Mainpeak are selling Exped gear (including all the different mattresses) for 30% off.

I was going to buy a UL Synmat 7 just a few days ago for $139.95, just checked it tonight and saw the price difference.. bought one for $97.30! :D

Go crazy. This sale ends Monday 18 June. Free shipping on orders over $75!

http://www.mainpeak.com.au/content/Bran ... ducts.html
This is on again, why oh why didn't I wait just a few days... =(

JJBLOOD

Postby JJBLOOD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:35 am

Here you have a different model by Therm-a-rest The NeoAir, Large. The NeoAir, Large is 63 cm wide... close to 70 cm wide that you need

It´s very expensive.... 150...to 160€ ... in Europe

This is what Therm-a-rest says about this product...

The NeoAir mattress represents the world’s most advanced engineering in ultralight comfort. Beyond being the lightest air mattress available, we’ve utilized two patent-pending internal technologies, making it up to three times warmer and far more stable than any other uninsulated air mattress available. And when it comes to space in your pack, you’ll appreciate that it’s no bigger than a one-liter water bottle. Revolutionary by design, the gossamer NeoAir mattress makes comfort one less thing you’ll need to compromise when traveling fast and light.

Ultralight & Compact: Weighs just 14oz. and packs down to the size of a 1-liter water bottle.
Unrivaled Warmth: Our patent-pending reflective barrier returns warmth to your body and reduces heat loss to the ground, keeping you three times warmer than any other uninsulated air mattress.
Sleep Stable: When inflated, patent-pending Triangular Core Matrix technology creates an internal truss system, resulting in the most stable non-self-inflating air mattresses.
Lasting Performance: Achieving thermal efficiency without down or fiber insulation means the NeoAir mattress can be inflated directly without the added weight of a pump, or worrying about exhaled moisture wetting insulation and decreasing performance.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

After only a week's use I already have a puncture in my Synmat.. thankfully its only small and easily repaired. I think the valve pinched the fabric as I packed it away. Have to be more careful with it.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 am

That happened with my neo-air when it was almost new, small hole in the fold line. Patched it with a Park stick on patch and has been fine since. I've used it in my thermarest seat doovawotsit and everything.

Hopefully just a bad start...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Looks like I missed the punctures. I patched two yesterday and the mattress was flat again this morning. Not sure what's going on but its not much fun as I am currently in France..

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Happy downmat 9 user here, no puncture issues at all

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:17 pm

I've been a happy user of the Exped Synmat 7 for the past year (including 20 nights in Tasmania, with no punctures). Sad to hear of your trials in France, ElStado. I must admit I am always very fussy about the ground I put my tent down on, clearing out any sticks and sharp objects. In the outback I will be packing a closed-cell mat to place under the tent for thorn protection if I miss any.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:44 am

il padrone wrote:I've been a happy user of the Exped Synmat 7 for the past year (including 20 nights in Tasmania, with no punctures). Sad to hear of your trials in France, ElStado. I must admit I am always very fussy about the ground I put my tent down on, clearing out any sticks and sharp objects. In the outback I will be packing a closed-cell mat to place under the tent for thorn protection if I miss any.
I was camping on soft grass in a back yard. I got two tiny punctures in the underside and also two small punctures on the top side in another area. I've patched them all up and the mattress has been good for the past few nights so I am hoping it was just a bad start. I am super careful about where I put my tent down and I always use my Tyvek ground sheet under the tent to protect the tent floor and mattress from any sticks that I might not have seen. I understand that light weight gear has the caveat of not being super durable, but honestly it's a bit annoying to get 4 punctures within 7 nights of usage considering how careful I am with my gear. I've got another 4 week trip in a few days so it's a chance for the mattress to redeem it's self. Otherwise it goes to the bin and I'll get a more reliable foam matt instead.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I use a Thermarest RidgeRest, works fine & no punctures...bad enough fixing a flat tyre let alone a flat mattress...