29er SS Gearing

celeste boy

29er SS Gearing

Postby celeste boy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 pm

The Trek Rig came with an 18tooth rear sprocket. I found this great to learn on but as i ride with groups that are not really into mountain climbing I tried a 17 tooth and it was much better. Over the year I have come down to 15 teeth and this is great for my group rides and, as yet have not had a problem with hills. it's a great gear for touring around some of the dirt roads in my area while feeling safe. It's a great training method too. But I was wondering:

I have reached the limit with the chain if I was to go to a 14. I know I could take links out but that seems a bit drastic. And what about a larger front chainwheel? Does anyone have that option running?

Graham

mitzikatzi

Re: 29er SS Gearing

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm

I recommend that you pick a big cog out back (18 teeth or larger) and experiment to find a gear ratio you like by varying your chainring sizes up front
....snip....a 16 tooth cog, probably the smallest rear cog you might have on your one-speed ride.
from here

celeste boy

Re: 29er SS Gearing

Postby celeste boy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 am

mitzikatzi- you are a legend. Thanks for that info. I was thinking along those lines.

Graham