2012 Milan-San Remo

toolonglegs

Re: 2012 Milan-San Remo

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 pm

My Aussie son and I just found a youtube clip... very nice win!.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 pm

FYI for anyone who didn't catch it, the Cycling Fans website had a link to Sporza that worked for free live coverage, complete with Dutch commentary.

I have tried this before but had no luck, but it provided low-fi vid last night. Has anyone else had much luck with the CF links?

Great win for GreenEdge!

I was lucky enough to be unable to sleep and therefore logged on with about 30ks to go. Only problem was that when I tried to go to bed later it turned out that the doorknob had fallen off, so I ended up sleeping on the couch. Even worse, I got snubbed by the dog who gave up sharing after about 5 minutes.

I have strong suspicions that my wife unscrewed the door handle when she realised I was watching road racing....ever since she got her cyclocross bike she's been uninterested in anything that doesn't have mud and beer! :D

PS- I seem to remember that Nibali made the original break that first Gerrans and then Fabian bridged to, so he may not have been a wheelsucker. Gerrans spent a lot of time on the wheel, but with memory with about 2k to go he moved left, perhaps as if to take the lead, but Cancellara looked at him and kept on going.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Nice ride by Gerrans, he did well to stay with Cancellara both on the descent and after he took a turn on the front and Spartacus blasted backed to the front. Still a kick like that in the sprint after 7 hrs of racing :o

Got to feel for Cancellara though he was the one who kept them off the front. Nice to see Gerrans acknowledge Cancellara in his post race interview.

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 am

Chris249 wrote:FYI for anyone who didn't catch it, the Cycling Fans website had a link to Sporza that worked for free live coverage, complete with Dutch commentary.

I have tried this before but had no luck, but it provided low-fi vid last night. Has anyone else had much luck with the CF links?

Great win for GreenEdge!

I was lucky enough to be unable to sleep and therefore logged on with about 30ks to go. Only problem was that when I tried to go to bed later it turned out that the doorknob had fallen off, so I ended up sleeping on the couch. Even worse, I got snubbed by the dog who gave up sharing after about 5 minutes.

I have strong suspicions that my wife unscrewed the door handle when she realised I was watching road racing....ever since she got her cyclocross bike she's been uninterested in anything that doesn't have mud and beer! :D

PS- I seem to remember that Nibali made the original break that first Gerrans and then Fabian bridged to, so he may not have been a wheelsucker. Gerrans spent a lot of time on the wheel, but with memory with about 2k to go he moved left, perhaps as if to take the lead, but Cancellara looked at him and kept on going.

Try steephill.tv next time. I watched it with English commentary. Harmon and Kelly.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 am

<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:16 am

norbs wrote: Try steephill.tv next time. I watched it with English commentary. Harmon and Kelly.
I'll have a look at that next time, cheers.
FPR Ragamuffin

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Only just had a chance to watch the last 7-odd km. Nice ride, and the explanation post-race makes sense. Gotta play to your strengths, none of this crap about stealing a win is gonna fly.

I liked the GreenEdge team reactions. It would be interesting to see the RadioShack team reaction :D

Jim

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

I think he did steal a win, but hey he was there to steal it. Cancellara tried to drop him after Gerrans took a turn on the front, he was good enough to get his wheel and take him in the sprint. It was Cancellara's TT strength that kept them away though.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:36 pm

If your not as fast a sprinter as someone else then it is up to you to drop the other person. Gerrans was the better sprinter. Canc tried to drop him. He couldnt, and so he came second. Its not stealing the win its bike racing.

Canc got 2nd that is good I think he will be pretty happy with it. If he waited for the bunch he would of been lucky to get a top 5. So its not like he lost anything in the move.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Spoken like a sprinter :P

vander

Postby vander » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Parrott wrote:Spoken like a sprinter :P
Its how racing works if you are fast enough to win a sprint you dont need to break the group (though it can be fun trying) the non sprinters have to out think or destroy the sprinters so they cant sprint.

Parrott

2012 Milan-San Remo

Postby Parrott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

My point is if you watch the last 10 ks or so is that Cancellara was clearly the strongest and did all the work to stay away.
Pretty hard to drop someone when they are not doing the work.
But yes that is bike racing and it is what makes it interesting.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Up the climb (which was in the last 10km) I think Gerro looked really good when Nibali started to struggle he still looked strong. On the downhill Fab did look strong but he is a strong descender and on a tight descent like that you cant expect Gerro to come around and do a turn that leaves about 4km (or possibly a little less). Yes Fab was strong but as you said couldnt drop the others Gerro did take a turn and Fab tried to attack him but didnt have much of a kick. I dont get what you are saying just cause he is the strongest doesnt mean he should win. Thats what TTs are for, the strongest rider to win. You play to your strengths Gerro has a good kick and is strong uphill. He played to that and won. Canc has a massive diesel engine he played to that and this time it didnt work for him.

My point is he didnt steal the win he earnt it by getting in the right break and being able to sit on Canc then out kick him.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Parrott wrote:My point is if you watch the last 10 ks or so is that Cancellara was clearly the strongest and did all the work to stay away.
Pretty hard to drop someone when they are not doing the work..
FC had one card to play and he played it. Damn near worked too - managed to fry Nibali, and all but dropped Gerrans on the decent. Even then, who would have been shocked if Gerrans had been spent when it came to sprint?

Gerrans had no incentive to go to the front. (1) He had a sprinter in the pack, (2) pulling turns with FC is a recipe to get destroyed, and (3) if he had pulled turns, the chasing pack may well have wound them in

I don't think it was FC riding dumb (as some have written on other sites), nor was it a case of Gerrans just being a wheelsucker. They just rode the situation and their strengths

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 pm

My point is Gerrans only had the oppurtunity to take the win because Cancellara kept them off the front.
Cancellara didn't initiate the break but it was down to him that it survived.
Yes they both played to their strengths and both did what their teams expected them to do.
Cancellara is my favourite rider, I wanted him to win given he got them there. :cry: :lol:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Gerrans is smart and has great form at the moment, Cancellara coming across made it the perfect storm. I doubt there are any other circumstances under which he could have won a race like MSR. Take away Cancellara and throw any other rider you'd like into the Nibali/Gerrans move and my opinion is they would not have survived to the finish ? Maybe a guy like Martin could have dragged them there, but would he be as willing to go all in as Fabian always seems to be :twisted:

Having said that there's no way Gerrans stole it, great win :D well taken 8) Some of the comments online would have you thinking it's easy to follow Cancellaras wheel :? :twisted:
FPR Ragamuffin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 am

Chuck wrote:...Having said that there's no way Gerrans stole it, great win :D well taken 8) Some of the comments online would have you thinking it's easy to follow Cancellaras wheel :? :twisted:
Wwell said.

CN has a great summary of 10 points lerant from MSR.

He won fair and square, and Fabs did a great job, but just couldn't drop Gerro enough.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

Parrott wrote: Cancellara is my favourite rider
I think alot of people feel the same way, he animates so many races 8) Comes out with some great quotes too....
“I had lactic acid coming out my ears too,” he said with a rueful smile. “If you go from the top of the Poggio to the finish full on, it’s clear that at the end the gas runs out.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... n-san-remo
FPR Ragamuffin

whitey

Postby whitey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Chuck wrote:
Parrott wrote: Cancellara is my favourite rider
I think alot of people feel the same way, he animates so many races 8) Comes out with some great quotes too....
“I had lactic acid coming out my ears too,” he said with a rueful smile. “If you go from the top of the Poggio to the finish full on, it’s clear that at the end the gas runs out.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... n-san-remo
I liked his quote last year after Paris Roubaix where they shadowed him "If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same" http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... is-roubaix

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Parrott wrote:My point is Gerrans only had the oppurtunity to take the win because Cancellara kept them off the front.
Cancellara didn't initiate the break but it was down to him that it survived.

And Cancellara knew this was a distinct possibility of happening. Canc knows he hasn't got a chance if it comes down to a bunch sprint, that's why he does what he does. Would you rather take a chance of maybe finishing first, definately finishing on the podium, or sit up because the guy behind you isn't strong enough to pull the same as you, but can just hold your wheel, and then have the strong sprinters swamp you in the last 200m.

Plus Gerro did what he was told to do by his sporting directors. The commentators called it as soon as Cancellara joined Nibali and Gerrans and the trio rode over the top, no one expected Gerrans to expend himself. Everyone knew Cancellara was strong enough to ride to the line ahead of the bunch, what was unsure was whether Gerrans could stay with Nibali and Cancellara.

And I just can't watch the GE backstage video enough. It's so funny watching grown men scream like teen girls.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Will be interested to read the full interview.

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=5499
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 am

RICHARDH wrote:Will be interested to read the full interview.

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=5499
Awaiting that issue with great delight.

My chrissie pressie to me was a 2 year subscription :mrgreen:

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Just renewed my Subscription best cycling made out.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

population100

Postby population100 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 am

whitey wrote:I liked his quote last year after Paris Roubaix where they shadowed him "If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same" http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancell ... is-roubaix
Not to be out done on the post race interview, this is Terpstra after winning Dwars Door Vlaanderen;

“Some will say that winning here is not a big fish but to me it’s a nice greasy fish,”

-Stefan-

Postby -Stefan- » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm

http://sports-livez.com/ for livestreams! Watched 'Dwars Door Vlaanderen' yesterday!