Intro To Track Racing

vander

Intro To Track Racing

Postby vander » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Good read for anyone like myself keen on getting into track racing.

http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/trackracing_intro.pdf

slarv

Re: Intro To Track Racing

Postby slarv » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:06 pm

vander wrote:Good read for anyone like myself keen on getting into track racing.

Hi Vander,

Thanks for sharing. It was a good read. I would like to have a go at track riding (I won't say racing just yet) but wouldn't know where to get started.
I would like to go some where that had come-n-try track type events, particularly if it was near Brisbane. Does anyone know of any?

Regards,

Slarv

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Had read this, and it is a great source of info.
(Vander-Thanks for bringing it up, again)
Particularly with regards to gears, and cadence. Dan covers it well.
Something I have been banging on about here, for a time.
Takes a lot of specific, very hard training to achieve.
Many Roadies trying to ride Track, could take note.
All the best, and enjoy the Velodrome.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 pm

slarv wrote:
vander wrote:Good read for anyone like myself keen on getting into track racing.
.... I would like to have a go at track riding (I won't say racing just yet) but wouldn't know where to get started.
I would like to go some where that had come-n-try track type events, particularly if it was near Brisbane. Does anyone know of any?

Regards,

Slarv
Logan City Cycle Club usually has an come-and-try type event at the start of track season if you're willing to wait until October, they usually follow up with a few race days, either Saturday or Sunday. Kangaroo Point CC also does "track training" most of the year on (I think) Tuesday nights, a mate of mine with no prior track experience started with them late last year and is loving it. Uni CC has also held "training races" on weekends in previous seasons. All these are at Chandler, in that respect it doesn't matter which club you join and they usually welcome members of other clubs as well. Bikes are usually available to hire for a small fee also.
If you're willing to travel further afield Gold Coast Cats have training at Nerang twice a week too.
Pretty much any of these will help you with an introductory session too.

slarv

Postby slarv » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. There's lots of places to get started that I didn't know about. Since my last post I found out that Cycling Queensland had an event last October (which was rained out), so I have emailed them to find out more and am following that lead.

Is UNI CC that you referred to the UQ Cycling Club? If so that is a good lead as I work there.

Regards,

Slarv

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Caboolture track has racing Tuesday or Thursday nights, can't remember which night now. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:03 pm

AFAIK Caboolture is Wednesdays and Saturdays. FWIW new riders seem to come to the Tuesday night session at Chandler at more or less any point during the year. CQ can arrange a hire bike for you.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:38 am

My only issue is his dislike of 53/11, saying they are unnecessary.... :? Now I know he's track rider, but hasn't he heard of hills???

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 am

TTB- I don't understand your point about "hills" :?
But I can understand his point of 53x11 being basically unnecessary for road sprints (due to cadence)
and the point he is making about the relative speeds and the relationship to gears between road and track.
And from my experience, he is totally correct.
Not many people understand the "drag" factor, and why smaller riders can get away with smaller gears,
in road and track sprints, and achieve better results, if they have trained for higher cadence.
Just my 2c.
Cheers

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

slarv wrote:Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. There's lots of places to get started that I didn't know about. Since my last post I found out that Cycling Queensland had an event last October (which was rained out), so I have emailed them to find out more and am following that lead.

Is UNI CC that you referred to the UQ Cycling Club? If so that is a good lead as I work there.

Regards,

Slarv
A little further info/confirmation:
Kangaroo Point CC's training nights are Mondays (not Tuesdays as I thought) and they're generally for KPCC members although they have in the past welcomed members of other clubs who just want to "come and try."
Tuesdays at Chandler is racing all year round, organised by Billy Wright from Wynnum Redlands CC, all are welcome as long as they're licenced.
UQCC are fairly active but I'm not sure whether they currently organise any track work.
As mentioned above there's also a velodrome at Caboolture, according to Sunshine Coast Cycling Club's web site they train there every Wednesday evening year round.
Just a warning: track racing is addictive!

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm

DavidI wrote: Just a warning: track racing is addictive!
Yeah, I overdosed (take care) :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I seem to use 50-14 for everything (170 cranks), though I'm OK using a 49 or 48

I did once lined up with 48-16 for a one lap screamer (250mtr), but it was dismal failure, the rider next to me moved off line on the start and collided with me, causing me to hesitate which gave me a similar start to the other riders and then it was my silly low gear against their normal gears. Ironically I had the same gear on for the warmup scratch race prior and came about 6th on it, which had given me confidence in my one lap screamer strategy
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 am

Mike,
That is a strategy, and it does work (think outside the box)
For 250m one lap, 48x16 would slam it, if your a good pedaler. Just get the jump.
Tactics are what makes the race, and all your various training methods, the foundations.
Confidence in yourself and your methods, will shine through.
All the best
Cheers