Monorail to be pulled down

Evetsllub

Monorail to be pulled down

Postby Evetsllub » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/monorail-to-b ... 1vnss.html

Whats the chance of a dedicated cycle lane over Pyrmont bridge now??

wombatK

Re: Monorail to be pulled down

Postby wombatK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Zero.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalkzz
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

zero

Postby zero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:38 pm

IMO we should be putting forward a proposal to make use of the pylons to support a dedicated cycleroad above the bridge - all the way up market st, and reuse the other pylons extracted from around the monorail track to support it all the way up to harris st (ie level from harris st over the bridge to market st, and all the way up market st, into the park and over to college st - thus connecting the network up like it should be.

it would need ramps at Kent St, and ramps at the pyrmont end of pyrmont bridge, and a ramp down into the park.

Once that is done, King st cycleway could be removed, there would be reduced traffic flow onto the pedestrian walkway to pyrmont bridge, and little to no cyclist contention on either the walkway or the bridge. A cycle journey between balmain and north sydney would then have a far more appropriate number of traffic lights and intersections.

It also would not require policing at all, pyrmont bridge apparently requires a daily presence.

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Thats a great idea but i reckon the chances of implementation would be minimal and the cost extroadinary (considering how much it has cost just to create a cycleway on the side of the road). Being able to ride from Pyrmont to Hyde park without 10 sets of traffic lights, a shared park and running the king st gauntlet is a nice dream to have though.

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Zero, its a superb idea but the chances of it ever happening are less than zero.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Evetsllub wrote:Thats a great idea but i reckon the chances of implementation would be minimal and the cost extroadinary (considering how much it has cost just to create a cycleway on the side of the road). Being able to ride from Pyrmont to Hyde park without 10 sets of traffic lights, a shared park and running the king st gauntlet is a nice dream to have though.
Its probably cheaper per km of path built/rebuilt than the existing system, and orders of magnitude cheaper than a tunnel or other method of improving cross town traffic flow. The existing cycleways were projects that encompassed drainage repairs, surface repairs to areas damaged by poor drainage and signalling. This would be a no-signalling project (just phase and light removal in a couple of locations.

Can do nose in parking in union st, and add either a bicycle rack or motorcycle parking alongside pylons, so net parking would increase there.

We would need 3 or 4 new bridges, but the -material- for the bridges would be recovered from the existing monorail as there are some 10 or so bridges elsewhere on the network already (by bridge I simply mean longer than usual section). Likewise ample pylons exist, and they will be loose at some point during the inevitable demolition anyway.

If one was -really- determined to not interfere with traffic and keep plant to a minimum, merely jacking the pieces onto a dolly on the monorail would do for transiting them to their new locations. Likewise the added top section can be prefabbed, trucked to union and dollied via the monorail to its final location.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm

wombatK wrote:Zero.
Well, you never know. We can lobby for a bike only lane using the existing rail track over Pyrmont Br. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:59 pm

i sent an email to transport minister Gladys Berejiklian asking to at least consider a feasibility study.

Chances are close to zero but sending an email wont hurt.

office@berejiklian.minister.nsw.gov.au

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 pm

zero x 1.... = zero.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm

zero wrote:IMO we should be putting forward a proposal to make use of the pylons to support a dedicated cycleroad above the bridge
Genius!

rog on a bike

Postby rog on a bike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:04 pm

About 18 months ago I rode into Melbourne from the eastern suburbs. About 1.6 km of that ride was on a totally dedicated cycleway suspended under the South Eastern freeway. This surface was approx. 3mts wide and the surface was of a wooden/composite weather proof material as I recollect it was extremely smooth and fast. The whole system did not appear to be overly expensive.
Unlike some of the claimed cycleway costs in this state. The gains are clear. The separation of cars and cyclists and the separation of pedestrians and cyclists. Think of it as NSW first dedicated cycle freeway. The government might like to put a daily counter on that and measure its usage.
Just a thought
Cheers Rog
EVERY HILL HAS A CREST. GETTING THERE BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK IS THE TRICK.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

FYI..... we don't wont it

love Hobart
when do we stop for coffee???

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Elizabeth Farrelly gave her support to the cycleway idea in this aricle today-

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/ ... 1vyqs.html

We all know it'll never happen. They'd rather use it as a car park.