Riding with a cold/man-flu ?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 pm

So what's the best advice regarding cycling when not 100% ?

I am suffering a heavy cold/man-flu, really sore throat, heavily congested, muti coloured snotty phlegm, de-hydrated.....

I rode today and 5 mins in I had to go up a 8% grade and my heart was racing and a little erratic, legs felt heavyand lethargic....and boy I was thirsty, lots of water guzzled ! Things got easier after 20 minutes....

Shoud I ride tomorrow or tr and recuperate ?

waramatt

Re: Riding with a cold/man-flu ?

Postby waramatt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:05 pm

If my ride involved a hill of 8%, I would probably give it a spell for a few days.....

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm

What I've read says if it's in your chest, you shouldn't ride.
My experience says 10km at granny pace does wonders for the soul of a sick rider (much more so than groaning on the couch while the GLW plots murder) and that can't be too bad.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 pm

See this recent thread When sick...
Alex Simmons wrote: In essence, be careful when ill and continuing to train. It is my experience (both for myself and for those I coach/have coached) that time off to allow the body to properly deal with whatever it has to deal with is a far better solution. One's health is not to be toyed with.

I recently had a whole week of no riding because of some minor flu/cold type bug. Indeed I probably could have started back on the bike a day or two before I did but I knew the risk of prolonging or deepening what I had would place my overall goals in greater jeapordy. Then a week or so of sensible riding without high intensity and then back into it. Before long and I am banging out higher power than before. These things suck but one must have patience and consider the bigger picture.
Having seen a friend die from consequences of trying to burn out a dose of flu, Alex's advice makes total sense to me.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

skull

Postby skull » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Riggsbie wrote:So what's the best advice regarding cycling when not 100% ?

I am suffering a heavy cold/man-flu, really sore throat, heavily congested, muti coloured snotty phlegm, de-hydrated.....
I had a bit of a man sniffle a few weeks ago, I did a ride in the rain. It got a little bit more sniffly. I did a race. I got proper sick and now approximately three weeks later I am still phlegmy and have a bit of a persistent cough.

Abby

Postby Abby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Even the pro's rest when they have the flu...

Downside of pushing through is turning a 1 week illness into a month or two of sickness/weakness and the possibility of permanent damage.

Seriously - take a few days off. Its all upside... :wink:

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Being young and stupid, I naturally learnt the hard way. :( Vigorous exercise is now known to temporarily depress the immune system slightly. If it is already under challenge, this does not help it fight the infection. Indeed, illness is often a symptom of overtraining, so continuing to train only buries you deeper.

I can only say +1 to Abby's advice and I particularly like Alex's take on it: one's health is not to be toyed with.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Take the advice of what the others are saying and me..........rest or regret it! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm

I had a touch of man-flu nearly ten years ago and got no favours from my wife and kids whatsoever.

After four months the Dr sent me for some more tests "just in case"and I came back with pertussis. (Whooping cough.) To their credit the family were decent enough to be a little embarrassed.

Despite having had four bouts of shoulder surgery they still don't give me much space to complain. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 pm

first up this is just a bug bear of mine. A head or chest cold even a heavy one is not the flu. Influenza will keep you in bed for at least a week. You will have no choice. Walking to the bathroom is difficult, let alone riding a bike.

But on the subject of a regular cold. rest up. even wait a few extra days after your feeling better before pushing yourself, just to be sure.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 pm

jimsheedy wrote:first up this is just a bug bear of mine. A head or chest cold even a heavy one is not the flu. Influenza will keep you in bed for at least a week. You will have no choice. Walking to the bathroom is difficult, let alone riding a bike.

But on the subject of a regular cold. rest up. even wait a few extra days after your feeling better before pushing yourself, just to be sure.

Its a bugbear of mine too. Just to repeat, a cold is not the flu and a cold can really make you feel like crap, especially if you don't rest. And it can linger a very long time, especially the cough that tends to follow. But its not the flu.

I've been on tour with bad colds and i've finally learnt how to treat them after years of not doing anything to help with a cold. I've never ever had a flu so i can't tell you what to do there beyond the usual.

But with a cold, get as much rest as you can anyway. Don't go exercising. Stay home from work on the few days you feel really shite. I take panadols for my sore throats and when i want to try to sleep and if i'm feeling ratty. It helps me to get to sleep easier and feel less miserable. I find i generally don't need to take more than a few a day though. Sniffing eucalyptus oil will help clear your nasal passages but it won't cure the cold. Nothing cures a cold. But i have found that rest and panadol do help me get better faster and the whole thing seems milder.

To help prevent spreading your cold about, in addition to covering your face when you cough and sneeze, wash your hands often and try to avoid touching stuff that other people will touch after you so stay home and don't go shopping. I think a lot of the spread of colds is through hand to mouth contact with the germs. (I'm sure i've read this and am not just making it up).

skull

Postby skull » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 am

man flu is not influenza, it is man flu. That is worse than the flu.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

If I start to treat it early enough, I generally get colds out of the way in about 3 days. Some of this may be controversial and may carry risks, so I'm not proposing this as a model for you to follow at all, but it does work very consistently for me. Colds make my asthma flare up so it's less of a risk for me to get them gone fast than let them run the usual 10 days.

My treatment consists of:

* megadoses of vitamin C (2,000mg 3 x per day)
* Echinacea Forte tabs (2 off, 3 x per day)
* Garlic and horseradish tablets (2 off, 3-4 times per day)
* Sleep as much as possible
* NO physical activity that raises a sweat

The third item is the only thing I've found that touches the nasal congestion that doesn't involve pseudoephedrine. The PE substitutes they've tried to introduce to the market are so useless it's pathetic. PE works great, but I find it keeps me wide awake for 12-18 hrs. Not great for getting rid of the cold when being sleep-deprived is probably a factor in getting the cold in the first place. The Garlic + horseradish keeps the nose clear enough so that I can sleep.

If I get the runs (sorry, too much information) then I know I've hit the limit with the vitamin C and I need to back off.

It the above treatment doesn't touch the symptoms then I know it's something more serious and if I get the hots and colds and aches and the glands are up, it's definitely a flu and off to the GP I go as soon as the plegm goes green.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

The Skull is right.....

Advice taken but was itching to ride on Sunday, but listened to the wise words of the forum..... Going to take a couple of days off work too.....

I certainly don't have flu, no aches and pains that I don't usually have, but some good phlegm (good word) still, still quite glow-in-the-dark, nice hot & cold spells, the sore throat is better but damn the bouts of sneezing !

Been guzzling water and orange juice.....the other half is grabbing vitamin C supplements as well while she's shopping......no sympathy from nurses :-(

I'm hanging in there, now to watch some junk telly !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 am

That's a good boy Riggsbie! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Petee

Postby Petee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

why would you ride when your sick?

Surely your not that desperate?

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Don't you ever feel like you are going stir crazy if you haven't cycled for more than 5 days ?

I do......

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 pm

5 days :shock: ...I go stir crazy after one day off.
My wife and son have a virus of some sorts... daughter and I are ok for now!... although I had yesterday off as I wasn't feeling 100% but I was pretty tired as well.
Hopefully I am not coming down with something but it is pretty hard to avoid once in the family!... going to head out now for an hour or two, hope fully bit of exercise in the spring sun will do the trick!... but I will be cruising.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Riggsbie wrote:So what's the best advice regarding cycling when not 100% ?

I rode today and 5 mins in I had to go up a 8% grade and my heart was racing and a little erratic, legs felt heavyand lethargic....and boy I was thirsty, lots of water guzzled ! Things got easier after 20 minutes....

Shoud I ride tomorrow or tr and recuperate ?
Doesn't "muti coloured snotty phlegm" imply a bacterial infection? I wouldn't be riding.
Exercise puts demands on your immune system so at best it's very likely to slow down your recovery. At worst it could promote pneumonia.
Take a gentle walk in the sun, and if you feel worse go to the doc. You may need an anti-biotic.
judged, insulted, gone

Marx

Postby Marx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm

man flu = bed or couch/TV.
Head cold & riding?
Do your mates a favour & hang out the back, so you don't bog a lurgy on them.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Agree on the train of thought, though I do feel lazy for not riding.

That said, I suffers from allergies and find riding clears my system. I don't overdo it... Swimming and surfing also tend to help as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 pm

I rode 140km on a charity cycle pub crawl on Sunday and felt crook as right at the start, after 1 hour things improved......

Felt really awful on Monday morning, lots of snot !

This morning pretty snotty but not so bad......

I have a 150km Audax on Saturday, so lets see how that goes .......

skull

Postby skull » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm

rest up my friend, rest up

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, yesterday I did my first 150km Audax, felt really good during the ride (see post in recumbent section of forum), the snot has returned today. :-(

Let's hope it does not hang on much longer, there's another Audax I would like to do in 2 weeks !

:)