Tread direction.

slarv

Tread direction.

Postby slarv » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi All,

We recently bought two Trek 29er mountain bikes (a his and hers) from a LBS fully assembled and ready to go.
I noticed that the tyres have arrows which indicate which way the tread should go that look something like this. <== Rear Front ==>

The arrows on the front wheels are pointing in the direction you would expect but the rear was facing the opposite.
I thought this may have been an anomaly on my bike, but then realised both were set up this way.

Would the manufacturer have shipped the wheels with the tread on, or has the LBS set them up this way?
Is there a reason why this may have been done intentionally?

Regards,

Slarv

PawPaw

Re: Tread direction.

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 pm

New bikes are put together by the LBS.
Not all tires are put on only one way. The LBS has stuffed up in this case.
Take it back and get them to fix it, or do it yourself.
It probably won't make too much difference though....well it doesn't for many road bike tires ime.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Bikes are shipped with tyres on... out of the box all you do is fit the front wheel and bars... not much more.
If the tyres are on the wrong way they may not have noticed... someone in Asia or US got it wrong depending on the level of your bike... take it back, it is a 5 minute job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Pretty sure <== Rear Front ==> means that the tyre can be fitted to either end, the arrow signifies direction of rotation. Having different purposes, it seems reasonable to me that different tread patterns (or the same one reversed) will do the job better.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kb

Tread direction.

Postby kb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 pm

I believe that's intentional for some treads. Back wheel is for going, front is for stopping.

slarv

Postby slarv » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for your answers.

I believe I have misunderstood the labeling from the start.

I thought <== Rear Front ==> meant <== this arrow faces to the back this arrow faces the front ==>
but what you are telling me is that it means <== if fitted on the the back wheel, spin this way if fitted on the front wheel, spin this way ==>

Found a similar topic here.
http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/quest ... on-and-why

Regards,

Slarv

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 am

Directional tyres don't have to be fitted in the direction of least rolling resistance.

If a track is steep and loose over a hard pack, and the rear is washing out, the rear tyre an be reversed to give a bit more grip and aid slowing down when braking or maybe the LBS was being overly patronizing, and presumed they were helping ... because he cared more about your safety than what he presumed newbies do.

I reversed a Crossmark once for riding Pork Barrel at Stromlo ... but it didn't matter two hoots, as I have no MTB skills or ability.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.