Detec Carbon Wheels Warning

barkydog

Postby barkydog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

Purchased a set of Detec U38 carbon wheels from a distributor in Victoria for my Felt road bike. Wheels seemed to have a lot of flex and cracked within a few months and few kilometers(front and rear). The Australian distributor and the manufacturer have both blamed me for the cracks(insisting I hit something) and opted to not honor the warranty. I might add they never asked to have the wheels returned just decided from photos I had hit something, which I didn't. Beware of Detec wheels poor quality product and no after sales service if something goes wrong. :x

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Detec Carbon Wheels Warning

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Are you able to post photos?
Don't know how much it is worth however there are some carbon fibre experts out there and an option you can suggest is that if they are not able to view and review the wheels (which I find unusual) is whether you can get a third party expert to report on them.

Though my first call would be to ask to bring them in and show that you are willing to work with them to resolve this.

If everything however goes pear shaped, make sure that you documenting everything and then follow up with your states consumer protection office who may be able to mediate and support.
Cycling is in my BNA

barkydog

Postby barkydog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 pm

I have tried everything including Consumer Protection. If a supplier refuses to honor warranty then there is very little that can be done unless the purchaser is prepared to head to the Magistrates Court. I am not going to the Courts as I have had enough. I feel all I can do is try and make potential purchasers of Detec equipment aware of the potential problems.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Have you talked to the manufacturer?.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 pm

On the internet, nothing happened without photo. Proper supporting evidence is required to substantiate the claims.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

barkydog

Postby barkydog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Numerous photos and serial numbers were sent. As soon as the manufacturer saw the photos they decided both wheels had hit something causing a deflection and the cracks. I argued the deflection was from the enormous flex in the wheels. I should also add that discussion with the supplier revealed the max weight for the wheels was around 85kg. As this is what I weigh my case with Consumer Affairs was based on the wheels not being fit for purpose as at no time was I advised there was a weight limit at time of purchase. Had I have known I was at the max weight range I would not have made the purchase.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 pm

No, photos for this thread. It's a bit unclear to just hear your descriptives and accusations, hence the call for photos.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am

you should be able to take it to VCAT in victoria for free. i think they make you go through mediation first, though.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 pm

They look like standard Chinese carbon wheels, what did you pay for them, hopefully not more than $500.
As others have said this thread is useless without pics.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

barkydog wrote:I have tried everything including Consumer Protection. If a supplier refuses to honor warranty then there is very little that can be done unless the purchaser is prepared to head to the Magistrates Court. I am not going to the Courts as I have had enough. I feel all I can do is try and make potential purchasers of Detec equipment aware of the potential problems.
Not true. A new saddle I purchased had the rail break. Bike shop sent to manufacturer who said it wasn't a product defect and so no warranty. I went to the Department of Fair Trading and obtained a full refund for the saddle from the bike shop.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 pm

biker jk wrote:Not true. A new saddle I purchased had the rail break. Bike shop sent to manufacturer who said it wasn't a product defect and so no warranty. I went to the Department of Fair Trading and obtained a full refund for the saddle from the bike shop.
you must be missing a few steps there. the DoFT can't give you a refund on behalf of a 3rd party, nor can they force the 3rd party to do so. it is possible that the shop pooped their pants and offered one?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 pm

So, barkydog, how much do you weigh?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:10 pm

barkydog wrote:max weight for the wheels was around 85kg. As this is what I weigh
Cheap Chinese carbon is a buyer beware scenario IMO. I am considering purchase myself in the not too distant future, but do your homework. RBR has a pretty comprehensive discussion on them and they've whittled the market down to a handfull of good reliable manufacturers and suppliers. Salesmen are salesmen, and some of them will do whatever to make a sale. Doing the research up front can easily prevent the situation you've got now.

It is a great shame this has happened though and I hope you can get some resolution.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm

jules21 wrote:
biker jk wrote:Not true. A new saddle I purchased had the rail break. Bike shop sent to manufacturer who said it wasn't a product defect and so no warranty. I went to the Department of Fair Trading and obtained a full refund for the saddle from the bike shop.
you must be missing a few steps there. the DoFT can't give you a refund on behalf of a 3rd party, nor can they force the 3rd party to do so. it is possible that the shop pooped their pants and offered one?
Yes the shop pooped their pants and provided a refund. Mind you, they suggested my rough riding broke the saddle rail which was rubbish. I also doubt they really sent the saddle to the manufacturer. It was clearly a defective saddle rail and the shop should have immediately refunded my money and then taken it up with the manufacturer. Suffice to say I have never been back to that shop and told everyone I know about their bad service.

barkydog

Postby barkydog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:26 pm

I weigh 85Kg as previously mentioned. Wheels were just over $500.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 pm

post the photos of the wheels that you sent to the manufacturer and distributor.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am

Hi BarkyDog,

If you are going to use your first post on the forum to complain about a particular brand you really need to supply photos to substantiate your claims. The people on this forum are pretty switched on about gear and unfortunately at the minute, it looks like you are a competitor of Detec wheels.

To be clear, I am not suggesting you are but that is how it looks so put some photos up and the people here will give you some pretty good considered advice.

Cheers
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Still no photo and suitable substantiation after 40 hours... :?:

I would suggest the mods should review the suitability of such a thread if it remain unsubstaintiated. We should be sympathetic to our fellow riders, but also fair to the people who make the goods we use.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Moreover, from looking at the Detec web site, the U38 carbon clincher have a recommended price of US$1600 so not really a "cheap Chinese" wheelset. Indeed, the rims weigh 520g so not ridiculously light and fragile.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm

nayfen wrote:post the photos of the wheels that you sent to the manufacturer and distributor.

Maybe he needs 10 posts first though

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 pm

He could have asked.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 am

Rules on posting images were changed as we now manage to block most non-genuine members from posting - so yes, photos can be posted. There is a howto post images near the top of the forum announcements forum.

I agree, I have asked for photos for this reason, and this has been repeated more than enough. I will give this thread a day or two from now for photos because there is genuine cause for concern if no images are posted. Some people use forums to unfairly attack a brand / product and we would like to rule this out.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

GarozO

Postby GarozO » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi...I have had Detec Wheels in the past and found them very good..I owned a bike shop for ten years and I didnt know that Detec had a distributor in Australia. I used to bring them myself..Do you know the distibutors company name???Thanks..