Hobart - Strathgordon - Hobart 31March & 1 April

BenevolantDictatorD

Hobart - Strathgordon - Hobart 31March & 1 April

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:29 am

For those interested in a few undulations - a quiet ride down to the dam and back. The Lake Pedder Chalet has reopened with lots of accommodation to choose from, a bar and retaurant. 170kms day 1. 150kms day 2. Can't guarantee the weather!

The early group is leaving Glenorchy at 6:30 am on the Saturday - too early and too dark for me - and the second group - me so far - leaving at around 8pm. First day includes the optional leg from Strathgordon out to the Dam and back.

Depending on interest we may be able to arrange bike transport for one-way trips. Send me a PM if you are interested.

BarryTas

Re: Hobart - Strathgordon - Hobart 31March & 1 April

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

hmmm, pencil me in for the 1 day ride, someone as to keep the taxman in order
when do we stop for coffee???

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: Hobart - Strathgordon - Hobart 31 March & 1 April

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Now only a few days away. The default start point, as of now, is the little park on the side of the bike track at Station St Moonah at 8am on Saturday morning. Haven't firmed up a support vehicle just yet but we'll get one organised. If you're interested and haven't already - let me know. There's not been enough interest to organise one day trips so out and back it is.

Have been working hard on organising some decent weather for the ride - managing okay so far :wink: There should be a bit of a side/head "breeze" heading in on Saturday and something more helpful on the way home Sunday.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Would like to and otherwise keenbut travelling to Longford to race instead.....BenevolantDictatorD why not come out on Sunday for the Graeme McVilly Memorial Race?

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Sunday - race at Richmond - my legs might be a bit tired for the sprint if I have ridden from Strathy in the morning. Well maybe I could - leave at 3am and I might just get there :P

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 am

Minor change of plans - will go via the river to Norfick rather than over Collinsvale. Advice is that the road is likely to be damp at that time of morning and with off-camber corners it is not worth the risk.

Apart from that all systems go. The weather in Hobart on Saturday should be great. Not so good in Strathgordon but still hoping it will be clear by the time we get there. There'll be a bit of a head wind on the way in and should be a very pleasant ride home on Sunday.

Assemble point is still the little park on Station St in Moonah at 8am. Looks like the starting peleton will be around seven or so and anyone who wants to join for the morning ride is welcome.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm

RobRollin wrote: travelling to Longford to race instead
Mmm....tempting........ RR is a good wheel to sit.......but could I hold it for 65k?

I might try it.......... :D

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Cme try it Master6, should be a good race, I am racing E Grade.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 am

Ride wrap-up

Well that was a beauty!

Saturday saw two bunches head off from a cloudy Hobart - one at 6:30 and one at a sensible 8am in the daylight. can't say much about the first group other than there were 11 and they all made it - mostly. Our bunch started with four increased by one at Granton, ne turned around at Norfick and Westerway saw the group down to three. We worked together as much as you can on vertical terrain until I bailed out with 10 kms to go to get a lift. Was down to using one leg by then so logic prevailed. Many stories were told over a few ales over an impressive buffet dinner and most hit the sack early.

Sunday and daylight savings gave us an extra hour to enjoy the recovery. After a hearty breakfast we had eight for the return leg. My recovery strategy of borrowed drugs and a few pints of medicine had worked a treat and I was able to ride albeit not with much pressure on one side going uphill. Given I had to get help to unclip my foot the day before I was a bit surprised. Much regrouping occurred on the way back - usually waiting for me - and a coffee in Maydena was well received.

This ride is clearly the hardest stretch of cycling road in Tasmania. It was tougher on the way out with 60ks in the legs before hitting the hills. Starting at Maydena out to the dam and back as per last year is even tougher.

The hospitality at the Chalet was really good. Clearly a family activity so make allowances for that - and the prices were ridiculously cheap. I would recommend this as a must do for anyone who hates hills.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm

This sounds like a good 4 day ride.