This tent is made for camping...

RonK

This tent is made for camping...

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Nice - I'll bookmark that site for future reference. Last time I looked at a similar service the shipping rates were astronomical.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm using comGateway, only used it once so far but sounds like shipito is more versatile as comGateway only uses 2 carriers.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Sounds like my Hilleberg Soulo is the third one to arrive in Australia recently.
I ordered mine direct from their site about two weeks before Christmas and like RonK it arrived here about a week later. Very impressed. I also bought a tarp and poles, and footprint for extended stays in the one place. Other than set it up in the front yard I haven't used it yet but come February, when all the brats are back at school I'll be off in the kayak. Alternately, if the algae hasn't cleared from the Lakes by then I'm off to Mallacoota then by foot to Point Hicks and the Nadgee/Croajingalong Wilderness area, can't wait. THEN, if all goes well, a shiny new touring bike might arrive in my neighbourhood and who knows what could happen next.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Tim wrote:THEN, if all goes well, a shiny new touring bike might arrive in my neighbourhood and who knows what could happen next.
Go the touring bike - to me it's like trekking, it has the same sense of adventure and freedom but is easier on the knees than carrying a 20kg pack up and down hills.

Slim

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Tim wrote: Very impressed. I also bought a tarp and poles, and footprint for extended stays in the one place.
Tarp and poles are on my shopping list.
The footprint is very neat. Weighs nothing so its permanently hooked up and stuffed in the bag ready to go.
if the algae hasn't cleared from the Lakes by then I'm off to Mallacoota then by foot to Point Hicks and the Nadgee/Croajingalong Wilderness area, can't wait. THEN, if all goes well, a shiny new touring bike might arrive in my neighbourhood and who knows what could happen next.
One of the best features of the Soulo is how you can put it up and pull it down in the rain without getting water inside. The design features that enable you to do that also means you can quite easily keep mosquitos out. Given you traveling intentions i.e. mosquito country I would suspect you'll be even more pleased with your new acquisition.

Have you ordered the bike? What is it?

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Definitely mosquito country around here, all year round, and the Ross River virus is about too.
The quick "pitch-in-one" simplicity and free standing features plus the high quality of this tent sold me on it. It is easily as good a quality as the old Macpac Olympus I still have, and beautifully designed.
As for a touring bike, that is still some time off, but hopefully later this year. I have my eye on a steel framed Koga Miyata made up to my specifications. I contacted Koga Aust. just before Christmas but couldn't get much sense from them. It sounded noisy and busy wherever it is that they are located and about all the rep could tell me was that there is very little stock left in Australia and that any custom made bike would have to be made up overseas and then imported at a considerably high price. He didn't seem to think that they would be bringing any more bikes in within the near future. In fact he didn't seem very interested in my inquiry at all. I'd have liked to have asked him more but he was obviously busy, was quite abrupt, to the point of being rude, so I gave up. Not overly impressed with the customer service, so I don't know, I'll probably look elsewhere. Pity really, the Miyata satisfies my needs but the "service" didn't.
I also contacted St.Kilda Cycles, they seem to stock and assemble a good range of tourers.I had a good long chat to the fella there, much better than the Koga man.
Does anybody know of another LBS in Victoria that can expertly handle a touring bike build?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Tim wrote:Does anybody know of another LBS in Victoria that can expertly handle a touring bike build?
I take it you have spoken to your local chap down there - Warren Mead at Bicycle Passion in Bairnesdale ?? He seems to do some pretty special bike builds, not sure how familiar/experienced he is with doing touring bikes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Yes I know Warren quite well. I spoke to him recently and unfortunately he is closing the shop but from what I gather will still be building up bikes from home. Silly thing is I didn't think to ask him about a touring bike at the time. I will do so next time I see or speak to him. Thanks for the reminder IP.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Tim wrote:Does anybody know of another LBS in Victoria that can expertly handle a touring bike build?
Late last year my brother bought his Vivente World Randonneur from Human Powered Cycles in Thornbury, and reported he was very satisfied with the service.

Slim

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Tim wrote: I have my eye on a steel framed Koga Miyata made up to my specifications. I contacted Koga Aust. just before Christmas but ...

I also contacted St.Kilda Cycles, they seem to stock and assemble a good range of tourers.I had a good long chat to the fella there, much better than the Koga man.
Does anybody know of another LBS in Victoria that can expertly handle a touring bike build?
Deja vu - went through exactly the same steps.

Also looked at LHT's and discussed options with Human Powered Cycles very helpful, so +1 on that recommendation.

Shortly after that I got fixated on Rohloff and ended up with a Thorn. One outcome of which is that it's unlikely that I will ever need to visit the LBS ever again. Unless the bell breaks or I need a tube.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm heading in the same direction re the Rohloff and the Thorn. Having followed with much interest IlPadrone's Thorn build and a good and very informative, long conversation with the St.Kilda Cycles bloke I'm leaning more and more that way.
Slim, who and or where did your bike come from.

Slim

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Tim wrote: Slim, who and or where did your bike come from.
Direct from Thorn, which is really the only option unless you find a 2nd hand bike.
In addition to the Thorn web site you should also look at SJS (it's the same company).
SJS sells the frames if you want to build it, but they also have demo stocks and returns that presumably carry the std warranties.

envie

Postby envie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a Malamoo 3-second pop up thats absolutely fantastic for supported tours - anyone know of a similar pop-up that can be carried on a bike or bike trailer? E.g. a light-ish, roomy, watertight, puts itself up (yes, in 3 seconds). Or am dreaming....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Slim wrote: Shortly after that I got fixated on Rohloff and ended up with a Thorn. One outcome of which is that it's unlikely that I will ever need to visit the LBS ever again. Unless the bell breaks or I need a tube.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too true, in all respects :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:08 pm

il padrone wrote:My new 2-man Exped, the Venus 2...No lightweight (3.2kgs) but it is a very well put together tent in the style of Exped.
IP, just wondering about the dimensions of the package when the tent, etc, is rolled up. Also, did you buy in Australia or o/s via internet ? I noticed that the Wilderness Shop price is $679.

Just doing some preliminary research on a possible new 2-person tent for a tour later in the year, after seeing your post.

Greg

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 pm

It is a fairly large sized packed tent, but about the same as our Macpac Celeste 2-man. I carry it quite happily inside a roll-top racksack with a folding stool ad a few other bits. My wife carries our two Exped Synmats.

I bought ours overseas from USA, and it was good because they gave us a bonus extra Synmat when we bought it. But if the Wilderness Shop price is correct then you'd be as wise to buy it from them.
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a good quality, reasonably light (sub-3kg total packed weight ideal), 3-season, 2 person tent to take with me on my planned Europe tour in late July (all going to plan). Ease of use and being mosquito/bug proof is essential. It would be preferable if it is in camo or some sort of natural green/brown in order to blend in when wild/stealth camping. I'm thinking of getting a camo net from the local Army surplus store to put over my bike and gear as well.

I've read through most of this thread and see that there's quite a few preferences about, including offerings from Hilleberg, Exped, Tarptent and MSR. I am simply looking for some guidance so I can add some options to my short list. I am touring solo, however I rationalised that a 2 person tent will not add too much extra weight, will give me some more space in the tent to hide my gear away in with me, and will also be more useful to use for other trips here in Australia alone or with my girlfriend.

Cost isn't an issue if it is worth it, I'll also be looking to buy 2nd hand to reduce costs once I know what I am looking for. Obviously I'd prefer not to spend $$$ on a tent if it can be avoided with good reason. I most do car camping here in Australia and we have a couple of cheaper, heavier tents to use already. It seems a bit OTT to spend $700-800 on a tent that I will only make use of its light weight properties for 3.5-4 weeks while in Europe.

Thanks
Last edited by elStado on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 am

Having used my new Soulo on three occasions over summer I can highly recommend Hilleberg Tents if their other products are as good as this.
After a long tiring day of (in my case) paddling or walking the Soulo is very easy and quick to pitch, and then pack the next morning. The poles slide into a short section of sleeve on each corner of the tent and then you just clip the rest of the fly and attached inner to the three poles. Very easy. Pitching and packing tents has never given me any joy, but now it is much less of a PITA. This is the stand out feature of the Soulo for me, no long sleeve to have to carefully thread a pole through and only as many pegs as necessary, if any, as the wind dictates.
Hilleberg have other 2 man, "clip-on" external pole models such as the Allak, Staika and Jannu. They also sell tarps which might do as a cover for your bike and extra shelter if you need it. All the tents and tarps are available in a subdued, dark green colour, and the tents are bug and mosquito proof. I can't speak highly enough of the "clip-on" system, it has won me. Hilleberg aren't cheap but they are top quality.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:01 am

For value for money and bombproof construction I still consider my One Planet Caddis to be the best tent I've ever owned. Over ten years old and used every year in all conditions including a coastal howling gale in Southern NSW and storm conditions in the Vic. High Country it has stood the test of time and abuse.
Have a look at One Planet's "industrial" range of tents, and other equipment. They are built for hire groups and, as the blurb says, the toughest users of all, kids. Still a Melbourne based company and still largely making most of their products in Australia the industrial stuff was much cheaper than comparative products at the time.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Any thoughts on the Black Wolf Dragonfly? Looks like a pretty decent tent; essentially a cheaper ($270 vs $450), heavier version (2.75 vs ~2kg) of the MSR Hubba Hubba.

Costs around $300 in most camping/hiking stores, can be had for a little less online (~$270).

Read a few positive reviews on it too as being a pretty solid and good value hiking tent for the price.

Weight: 2.75 kg
Size: 120cm Wide Plus 70cm Vestibule Each Side x 215cm Long x 92/80cm High
Seams: Heat taped
Floor: Polyester PU 5000mm
Poles: (1) 8.5mm premium T6 alloy, continuous
Fly: Polyester PU 3000mm
Function: 2-3 season, Below the snowline
Mesh: No-see-um mesh
Packaged size: 60cm x 18cm x 18cm

Pretty comprehensive product display on it by BCF here:
http://youtu.be/gq3aTsjw4xw
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 pm

elStado wrote:Any thoughts on the Black Wolf Dragonfly? Looks like a pretty decent tent; essentially a cheaper ($270 vs $450), heavier version (2.75 vs ~2kg) of the MSR Hubba Hubba.
It's a personal bias, but I dislike tents with hub pole systems.

To my thinking, a tent must satisfy two primary requirements:
1. It must be freestanding
2. the vestibules must be supported by the poles, not merely pegged out.

Also two vestibules/entrances, and single pitch are preferred.

The penalty for satisfying my requirement is extra weight - to have vestibules which are supported by poles inevitability it seems means a 3-pole tent, which naturally is going to be heavier.

An example is the Wilderness Equipment Dart 2 UL. I have one of these and it is very roomy, even for two people. There is a lighter version which has only one entrance/vestibule but is said to have room for one and a half persons.

Another example is the Hilleberg Allak, very nice but heavy and sadly not all affordable. And there is the Hilleberg Soulo, which you know about.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Exped Vela 2. Not freestanding but it satisfies your "two entries, two vestibules, supported by poles" requirements very well. Can be pegged up quite happily with just two pegs.

Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 pm

The Tarptent Scarp 1 or 2 satisfies all the requirements if used with the cross-over poles ...

and the Scarp 2 weighs 1.7 kg + weight of crossover poles - Price with crossover poles $369 US plus postage.

Regards
Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 pm

il padrone wrote:Exped Vela 2. Not freestanding but it satisfies your "two entries, two vestibules, supported by poles" requirements very well. Can be pegged up quite happily with just two pegs.
Exped are not making the Vela 2 anymore (old stock maybe found at Bogong Equipment), Vela 1 yes or the new Exped Mira range are out now.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Ah, OK. Well my Venus 2 is virtually freestanding, has two entries and two vestibules, partially supported by the cross-pole.

Mandatory helmet law?