Good value bib shorts

4xsama

Good value bib shorts

Postby 4xsama » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Can any one advise what a good value bib short is.

I've seen some cheapies on Wiggle for about $60.00. Any good?
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

cf73

Re: Good value bib shorts

Postby cf73 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Pearl Izzumi have great ones at around $130, I have two pairs. Would not go back to knicks..
How do you like them ******* apples???

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:41 am

The DHB brand bib shorts Wiggle sells are ok but go for the mid-range version. The cheapest are too thin and the chamois isn't great.

Phill_B_34

Postby Phill_B_34 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 am

I've tried the Wiggle ones, not great.

As for 'good value', this means to me (and I'm assuming some others here) spend $130-$180 on Pearl Izzumi or Assos (my fav) or other quality branded bibs and you never look back.
Phill B

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 am

I've found the low end dhb bibs to be far more durable than the more expensive ones (Aeron).
The expensive ones are little more comfy, but poorly sewn and easily damaged.
The cheapo's keep going and going, no frays or see through bits.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 am

Can only say to avoid the Cell ones. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Quite uncomfortable, not good chamois and the material isn't nice either. Also has terrible gripper elastic around the legs, leaving you with embossed on your skin "this link is broken".

Their small size is somewhat too large for me.

Best I've come across is Santini.

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I have some castelli ones. They were ~$80 on Ribble and are great. Nice and comfy.

schmidty

Postby schmidty » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Sugoi RSE bibs.......not cheap at around the $200 mark...but "value" is relative.

I have had 1 pair of Sugoi's for almost 4 years, fabric is still great and the chamois remains in good condition. Meanwhile, I have had cheaper bibs supplied by events or teams that have had to be replaced half way through a season because of the chamois being destroyed or stitching coming apart etc...

So IMHO, the Sugoi RSE bibs are "good value" because i have thrown out about 6 sets of other bib knicks whilst still using the Sugoi's. Given that the Sugois are the bibs I use most, that makes them awesome value in my book.
2010 Eddy Merckx EMX-3
2010 Giant Anthem X3
2008 Oppy Lyon
2004 Cervelo P2K
1978 Peugeot UE-8

gassyndrome

Good value bib shorts

Postby gassyndrome » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:49 pm

The assos stuff really is amazing. Wiggle and competitive cyclist do have it on sale every now and again and nothing compares. Their winter 3/4 knicks are the most comfortable piece of clothing I've ever put on.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 am

Long distance Santini all the way...racing and Crits...Cinelli club kit is fine....

RonK

Good value bib shorts

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:35 am

Santini Twistgel knicks are excellent quality and are on end of season sale now at Prendas.co.uk.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 am

I've just this week acquired a pair of Ground Effect Ringleaders that I'll be doing a review on for BNA.

Based on a visual inspection they look well made with excellent attention to detail in their construction, at least equal to the more expensive black Giordanas I have that have an Oz RRP over $300.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:07 pm

I picked up a pair of Vermac bib shorts from leknicks and have been happy with them so far, they were $75 on clearance.
The chamois is soft and supple

gabrielle260

Good value bib shorts

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Like Crawf and others, I am a big fan of the low end dhb bib and brace from Wiggle. They wear better than other Knicks I own that were twice the price.
When I first got them I was not impressed and thought the chamois was too far forward but I quickly got used to them and now choose them for my longer rides.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:09 pm

My favourite pair of bibs at the moment are the Green edge replicas... I think they're Santini that I paid somewhere under $100 at the time for from CyclingExpress.com. My club uses Capo and they're pretty nice too, but I tend to save them for club rides.

I have a couple of pairs of DHB knicks. the Aeron (bottom level) and the Aeron Race (mid level). I quite like the Aeron Race ones and they were about $60. I've barely used them since I bought the two pairs of bibs though :roll:

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Giordana bib knicks are good. Probably why they are out of stock :(

Hux

Postby Hux » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 pm

I found a mob called Parker International who are selling some Giordana Body Fit RC carbon bibs for 50 pound. Fortunately they had them in my size :mrgreen:
Also got some Look Excellence (also carbon weave) bibs coming from Xxcycles.com for $95.

I seem to be a bit sensitive to what I wear and find the best "value" are shorts with really good chamois. Specialized Comps ($45 from Evans), Pearl Pro LTD's, Mavic HC's (c r c and JEJames) are all good value for long rides.
2XU comps (the ones that Cycling Express were flogging off super cheap) are good value for short rides and crap for long rides !

My view is that the best value is the top of the range shorts on clear out from whomever you can find selling them at the time.
So far JEJames, XXCycles and now Parkers are all coming up with some really great deals on last season gear.

If you are wondering why so many top end bibs - doing the Sydney to Surfers 7 day ride at the end of the month and want the best for my botbot :lol:

bookworm1707

Postby bookworm1707 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm

My bib shorts saved me about $2000! Pretty good value if you ask me. :lol:

I bought a bike to lose weight and eventually do some entry level racing. Unfortunately I went cheap on shorts and had chafing to the point I could not ride.

Bought the mid level Pearl Izumi's, bliss! Now I can ride my bike. Would have been a waste to have $2000 worth of bike sitting in the shed!

vander

Postby vander » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Cell knicks are pretty good for cheapies.

luckyphil

Postby luckyphil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi
I have a couple of pairs of castelli and would recommend them for fit and comfort ,get one size up from your usual size tho the sizes are a bit small ,i think wiggle have Castelli Free Aero Race Bibshort - 2011 on sale ATM ,last years model but does that matter ? lol ,i reckon the best bargains are the ones you pay for :lol:

hooman

Postby hooman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:47 am

Bought Skins---one use and they are still sitting on the rack (about 8 months), not nice, poor padding.
Bought Assos FI 13 paid $300. More chafing than ever. Felt like I had a towel between my legs, yuk.
Bought Assos FI Mille paid $250. Better, eh.
Given a set of Nalini Mercedes Melbourne full kit as gift and found them very comfortable.
Bought Sugoi on sale reduced from $299 to $99. BEST EVER PURCHASE hence BEST VALUE (other than the free set)
I have ordered a Parantini (similar to BikeForce kit but with no logos) and this will probably be the most comfortable. Will cost about $150.

Sad about the Assos, looks great but not that comfortable
Skins is all hype and frankly a waste of time.
Nalini is a surprise success but...

Go Sugoi!

For what it is worth.

Hooman
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

Max

Good value bib shorts

Postby Max » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 am

+1 on the Sugoi RSE bibs. I bought a pair last year and was so impressed I went back and bought 3 more. Very comfortable.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:57 am

+1 for DHB on shorter rides. They are pretty good value for what they are depending on model you get.

I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs that I find the chamois good on longer rides, but the lycra quality is coming apart. :x

I also have Skins longs I bought from Cycling Sports a while back and found them to be pretty good in cooler weather, but not the best in freezing weather. Compression was excellent, pad was ok.

Will be looking at a better pair of mid range bib knicks later on when better sales are out. Will be looking at 3/4 bib knicks and better quality bib shorts.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Old thread but I wanted to give some kudos to Assos who just repaired my bibshorts free of charge even though they were out of warranty. :)

Assos shorts are bloody expensive, but brilliantly comfortable and my experience above kind of puts a different light on the idea of what's good value...

That, and the fact that I also have a pair of dhb shorts which I had to use while my assos were being fixed, and hated them compared to what i've got used to....on a confort scale assos are 10 and dhb are 3.

So thanks Assos!

ps no I don't have anything to do with them, apart from my bibs!
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:45 pm

schroeds wrote:Old thread but I wanted to give some kudos to Assos who just repaired my bibshorts free of charge even though they were out of warranty. :)

Assos shorts are bloody expensive, but brilliantly comfortable and my experience above kind of puts a different light on the idea of what's good value...

That, and the fact that I also have a pair of dhb shorts which I had to use while my assos were being fixed, and hated them compared to what i've got used to....on a confort scale assos are 10 and dhb are 3.

So thanks Assos!

ps no I don't have anything to do with them, apart from my bibs!
Love my Assos F1 Uno's
Have some endura, santorini & 2XU (granted they are tri-shorts) and without a doubt the assos are fantastic. Done a few 100km+ in them and no hint of chaffing, sore bum, nothing
Love Assos stuff and while it maybe on the pricier side if the last then they are worth it
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0