Before and After Pics by all restorers

HLC

Re: Before and After Pics by all restorers

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 pm

[quote="Henri"

Great job....I have one around the same vintage and would love to see some more detailed pictures...[/quote]

Nice username Henri.
-Henri

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am

That's a very nice mixte! Great resto.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Nice restoration on the mixte. Strangely enough, i reckon mixte frames look quite tough without mudguards, as if they're built to take whatever you can throw at them.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 pm

The Peugeot looks great. I was going to suggest fenders too. But still very nice.
I'm just starting one of these too, so nice to see it finished off so well.
Did you re-chrome too?

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 am

Verge collection score of a lifetime. Cinelli Bars, Sugino Mighty cranks, Campag Record Hubs and headset, Izumi Rainbow chain and Selle Italia 311 saddle. I nearly rolled the car doing the u turn to get it. Guy was out the front weeding as I walked up sweating bullets and gave me another Porshe track frame to go with it. I still can't grasp why you'd bin such a beautiful piece of cycling exotica. I am now obsessed with getting a Zullo Tour '91 frameset and forks, but need to start saving the $3800 it would set me back..

Before
After
It goes like the clappers, has killer toe overlap, is twitchy as hell and I love it.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 am

"WOW" I've never never seen wheels that close to down tubes before, an interesting ride for sure.
It's a shame you lost the original paint job I love those eighty's multicolor jobs but good job restoring it "love Zullo bikes"

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:31 am

ghostpoet wrote:Verge collection score of a lifetime...I still can't grasp why you'd bin such a beautiful piece of cycling exotica.
I reckon he might have been too embarrased by the rainbow coloured chain...

As for the way it looks now...both brilliant and lethal. It even looks twitchy!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Some people have all the luck! Nice find/resto!

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:13 pm

lunar_c wrote:Some people have all the luck! Nice find/resto!
so true....so lucky!!! awesome resto job!

you'd be amazed what people throw out... i know a guy who picked up a speedwell track bike with sugino, suntour and campy like that zullo.. it looks the goods.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 am

I picked this up a few years ago thinking it was a Merckx (clearly it is not!)

After my initial disappointment I took it for a role and was super impressed with how it rode. I did a bit of research and found who it was built by, where it was built, and decided to bring it back to its former glory (including mostly NOS 8 speed Superbe Pro):

I've since ditched the Rubinos for some gum walls.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am

That Michalo is sweet! I used to love dropped top tubes.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:14 pm

amrjon wrote:The Peugeot looks great. I was going to suggest fenders too. But still very nice.
I'm just starting one of these too, so nice to see it finished off so well.
Did you re-chrome too?
Thanks. Yes, I got the forks and the handlebars (and the cable guide by the bottom bracket) re-chromed by a place here in Brisbane.

I was in two minds about the mudguards, but decided to leave them off for simplicity's sake. With the sloping top tube and riser handlebar it reminds me a bit of a modern hardtail mountain bike.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Before

After

Sandblast and primer powdercoat followed by rattlecanning with 3 coats of 'Claret', and 4 coats of clear.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frank.grimez

Postby frank.grimez » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Before or the Ebay picture:

After a powder coat new wheels tape and long sand/hand polish then clear coat to most parts of the bike, only replaced the front and rear Omega derailleur, which is fixable but I just wanted to bike on the road:

Crank and Aspec wheel purchased brand new of Gumtree for $100 bucks

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:10 pm

before:

after:
1990/91 victory tri-a. $40 on fleabay. fully rebuilt. sold.

before:

after:
1986/87 superlite. kerbside find. 7400 drivetrain, campag dual pivots. slowly evolving into touring bike.

before:

after:

1986/87 olympic 12. $30 on fleabay. new wheelset, bars, post, drivetrain, brake calipers, saddle. original frame, brake levers, stem. sold.

before:

after:
1987/88 vertex. $50 frame from Thoglette. 9sp veloce. ambrosio hoops. fave.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Ken Evans before:

Just changed the flatbar, wheels, saddle and shifters. Looking for some cranks.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Also need a seat post binder bolt that has a smaller diameter than the normal. Strange!

markyy.dee

Re: BEFORE AND AFTER PICS BY ALL RESTORERS

Postby markyy.dee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 am

koen wrote:Working on an old bike just now but here is a couple of photos I prepared a few years ago. The Madison I found at the local tip when they just gave them to me for a couple of bucks. It is not a great bike but seeemd curious and I took it home becuase it seemed quite complete and was alot of alloy that could be cleaned. It was at the beach and any steel was in bad condition.
The frame was Australian made and I managed to keep the Cyles Australia badge low on the seat tube.
The Adamas gruppo is a real curiosity with so many weird little things the AX era threw up. The spoke nipples are recessed because that create so much drag you know!!
Cheers
i have the exact same madison in my yard which i am about to begin restoring. it is complete so i want to keep as original as possible. could you please email me at markyy.dee@hotmail.com as i have a few questions for you. bike came out great by the way!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 pm

1980s National Matsushita Electric (aka Panasonic) 'Sport' that i did up for a mate, managed to save some of the original decals.

Before

After

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 am

Sweet. It's always great to see something like this that could have easily gone to waste.

Looks like a fun ride! Although I'm not sure about the stem shifters. Practical I guess.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am

Yea he's going to be commuting on it, and a bit of that on bike paths so i thought stem shifters would be a bit easier than DTs. They came off a Schwinn i got at K Mart a few years back, actually work pretty well.

EDIT: just got a text from my mate to say he's done his first commute on the National, previous best on the mountain bike was 16:46, first time on the roady, 14:50! Great result :D .

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Greetings,

I've used the information and photos on this site to help research and repair a couple of older bikes so I thought I'd figure out how to post photos and share my restoration results. (This post is my first attempt to post photos.) A big thanks for all of your contributions to this great site.

I've got three retro road bikes that I use regularly so I'll post them here first and might do a separate thread on each a bit later. Here is the most humble of the group, my beater/stationary trainer/rain bike:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8509 ... 37ab_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8234/8509 ... fbcd_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first picture (or link if ,that is all that shows) shot is as found but with the bugs and dirt removed. The second is after about $100 worth of tires, seat, tape and touch-up paint. It's (I believe) a Korean made version of the old icon from the mid-1980s.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Joe H wrote:Greetings,

I've used the information and photos on this site to help research and repair a couple of older bikes so I thought I'd figure out how to post photos and share my restoration results. (This post is my first attempt to post photos.) A big thanks for all of your contributions to this great site.

I've got three retro road bikes that I use regularly so I'll post them here first and might do a separate thread on each a bit later. Here is the most humble of the group, my beater/stationary trainer/rain bike:

The first picture (or link if ,that is all that shows) shot is as found but with the bugs and dirt removed. The second is after about $100 worth of tires, seat, tape and touch-up paint. It's (I believe) a Korean made version of the old icon from the mid-1980s.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks Munga!

I clicked on the links in my original post and found only a postage stamp image - much smaller than the flickr version. I just finished deleting the old images from flickr and uploaded some larger ones. The new links for the before and after shots are:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8514 ... 93fa_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8514 ... 6f89_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a Malvern Star Sportif. Based on the components and some internet searches I'm guessing circa '86 or '87. It's got a sticker saying it was made in S. Korea and another that say it was sold by the Killarney Cycle Centre. It's not a bad ride but a bit harsh in the rear triangle compared to my other two roadies. I'll post the before/after links to those in a bit.

Cheers

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Greetings again,

This is my trusty old Bianchi Vento 606, purchased in Germany back in the early 1990s. She's seen a lot of miles and was getting in need of a good fix-up. The after link/picture is with new wheels from Greg at TWE, replaced seat/post/tape, a good cleaning and some miscellaneous TLC. She lost about 3 pounds in the process and really feels like a new bike again.

Before:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8514 ... 2fc9_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8514 ... b6ca_s.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops, sorry for the coffee cup in the water cage…