Hexham bridge

simonn

Hexham bridge

Postby simonn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 am

Has anyone here ridden across the bridge at Hexham (the main one) in a Northerly direction?

Is it ok?

longshanks

Re: Hexham bridge

Postby longshanks » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:41 pm

More times than i can remember driving but don't know if I'd be so keen crossing on a bike. Cannot recall if there is a path for peds over it and I assume from your question, the answer would be no. I would pick your moment and then fang it and get across as quick as you can! :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Google Maps and satellite view suggests there's a shared path on the east side of the old bridge.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

rog on a bike

Postby rog on a bike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Simonn
I've just returned from Raymond Terrace this afternoon, the following are my observations getting there.
F3 to Raymond terrace. Cycle lane well marked on the Maitland road feed in with huge verge on the lead up ramp. Traffic lanes do not merge on the bridge but do so about 1 KM after crossing Hunter River.
A 1 meter wide lane (shoulder) exists crossing the bridge north bound and once clear of the bridge this grows to about 3 meters min width. Traffic is no worse than you would find on Maitland road. IE B Doubles, semi's and your average smattering of red P plate hoons. :roll: The trucks aren't a problem, they generally look out for you. One other point avoid peak hour.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Rog
EVERY HILL HAS A CREST. GETTING THERE BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK IS THE TRICK.

newie

Postby newie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Yes, Hexham bridge is no major drama. I haven't done it coming from the west, but I would imagine it is a straight up and over. Decent verge all the way across the bridge. Coming from the east (newcastle) it is a bit narrower and you have to cross across the lane merging from the left. But there is good visibility, so keep an eye out and adjust your speed so that you don't have to deal with those cars. I have never had the traffic so heavy that I haven't been able to get across safely. You can pick up quite a bit of speed down the other side of the bridge, but there is a sizeable and unexpected bump near the bottom, take it a bit carefully, especially at night.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Just in case anybody is looking for this information in the future...

Yep, Hexham bridge is no more of a drama than any other well trafficked roads.

I rode Freshwater, Sydney to Nelson Bay via Cessnock last Saturday and this stretch of road was pretty much avoidable so some notes...

1) The roundabout at the end of the F3 is like any large roundabout. It is only 60km/h and was fine (at least on an Easter Saturday at ~13:00).
2) Passing the services a couple of hundred meters up the road there you need to use cycle crossings and the exit and on-ramps.
3) At the intersection of the Pacific Hwy/John Renshaw Drive (the road is called both at this point) and the New England Hwy (NEH) you need to take the exit to the NEH as if you are heading north east to Maitland, there is bike pathy thing which starts the other side of the hwy on ramp and crosses the NEH. Use this to cross and then use the shoulder on the other side of the NEH to head South East.... I hope that made sense? Zoom in on the map :)
4) If you want to turn right onto Tomago Road, you can use the pedestrian crossing to do so. There are ramps which look as if they are built for bicycles and for this very purpose.