Crud RoadRacer mk2 mud guards

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm

With all the rain we have been getting and the roads I have to ride, my clothes, backpack and bike have been getting covered in filth..my white and blue bike is more like a black bike

yes I could clean it, but my approach is one of laziness as I know the next ride with even a hint of water will just have it back to where it was prior to being washed, every now and then I do give it a good clean

well in an attempt to lessen the amount of crud thrown up onto myself, I purchased the Crud road racer mudguards. I got them yesterday and spent some time last night putting them on. The instructions that came with the box were crap really, but their website has got a good clip showing someone actually fitting them onto a bike. I just followed what they suggested and all was good.

In saying that, the buggers are fiddly. I had trouble with my fat fingers trying to screw some of the nuts and bolts. The guards are fully plastic and overall easy to install once you know what you are doing. It didnt take much to get them configured so that they didnt rub on the tyres either, some minor adjustments and all was sweet.

The guards are not in your face visually either. Since they are black and hug the tyre, they actually sort of look like they are simply part of the wheel.

My ride this morning with them went well. I heard a little bit of rubbing at stages, but think this was due to the "pile strips" doing their job. As part of assembly, you put little "pile strips" on both guards to help self align the guards.

Now that I have installed the guards there will be no rain for months but once I do ride in the rain I will post up how these guards went.

simonn

Re: Crud RoadRacer mk2 mud guards

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

I bought some MK1s a couple of years ago. Worked out cheaper, in t'old days, to replace them with MK2s after I broke bits in a stack.

Careful doing tight corners, make sure your feet on the other side of the direction you are turning are out of the way. I've kicked off the bottom bit of the front guard a few times - and then a stick finished it off and I haven't been bothered to replace it.

They are a great product and keep your feet dry on wet roads. Unfortunately you still get wet when it actually rains :).

If, for whatever reason you loose the pile strips, let me know. It is the insulation stuff from doors and I bought about 8M of it (smallest amount I could get) a while ago and will happily send you some for you send me a stamped addressed envelope :).

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

simonn wrote:
If, for whatever reason you loose the pile strips, let me know. It is the insulation stuff from doors and I bought about 8M of it (smallest amount I could get) a while ago and will happily send you some for you send me a stamped addressed envelope :).

cheers for that, might send you a pm and get some anyway, better to have it handy than have to wait

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 pm

How wide are they?

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 am

Mugglechops wrote:How wide are they?
Not wide enough for a CX. 25mm tyres max.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 am

Damn it I like the look of them.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 am

simonn wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:How wide are they?
Not wide enough for a CX. 25mm tyres max.
You would be pushing 25mm tyres I reckon. They are hugging my 23mm tyres to the point that they actually look like part of the tyre. I guess you could set them up to sit a bit higher, but nothing above a 25mm

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:21 am

‘Tis the season for mudguards – I too fitted a set of these last weekend. They came highly recommended by a fellow commuter at work who has many miles on his with no problems. They are designed to fit road bikes with no mounting eyelets and minimal clearance and do that well – they are very thin and fitted between the brake, fork and tyre on my carbon forked setup with a millimetre of room. I doubt they would have fitted with 25mm tyres, though. I was a little sceptical of the rubber O-ring stay attachment, but on the 50km round trip yesterday everything stayed in place and there were no rattles. I like the fact that unless you look closely, it’s not obvious that there are even mudguards fitted. Don’t want to upset the clean lines of my speed machine :wink:

They obviously work, as I had a dry morning run in to work, it rained during the day, but cleared in the afternoon for a dry run home.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 am

rdp_au wrote:‘Tis the season for mudguards – I too fitted a set of these last weekend. They came highly recommended by a fellow commuter at work who has many miles on his with no problems. They are designed to fit road bikes with no mounting eyelets and minimal clearance and do that well – they are very thin and fitted between the brake, fork and tyre on my carbon forked setup with a millimetre of room. I doubt they would have fitted with 25mm tyres, though. I was a little sceptical of the rubber O-ring stay attachment, but on the 50km round trip yesterday everything stayed in place and there were no rattles. I like the fact that unless you look closely, it’s not obvious that there are even mudguards fitted. Don’t want to upset the clean lines of my speed machine :wink:

They obviously work, as I had a dry morning run in to work, it rained during the day, but cleared in the afternoon for a dry run home.

That's the only reason I want them :D I have just bought a new rain jacket in the same hope.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

great thread! I was eyeing up a pair of these the other day on a certain UK website...

I did see in the shop a pair of more sturdy looking bontrager guards for close to $60....i dont think these would be as breakable and may have more clearance...

anyone used these versus the Crud's?

and how dry do you stay with guards on in general?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 am

@csy75....going by the tyre coverage of these crud mudguards I am thinking I should stay pretty dry from now on...yet to have wet weather since putting them

yes I got them from an english site..was very quick delivery as usual

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:21 am

On the ride home yesterday I got some rain. It wasnt huge rain but enough to make me get filthy..usually.

The guards worked well, better than what I thought they may. Normally any rain and my shins are covered in crap and the back of my riding gear is filthy. This time both were clean as.

I am really happy with how the guards work, not going to be worried anymore with hitting rain and the resulting mess on myself and the bike. For the cost, something like 50-55 dollars it is a worthy addition for the bike.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

I run these on my roadie they are great love the extra cover over the drive train if they fit over your tyres go with them - I think 25mm might be a strech my 23mm are pretty snug in there.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I bought myself two sets last year, one for my roadie and one for my FG commuter. Ended up only fitting the roadie as the FG lacks a front brake and you secure the front mudguard around the front brake nut. So I kept a set spare.

I love them though. The best thing about them is the long and wide coverage that you secure to the seat tube, right down near the BB. It has a massive chunk that curves around to the drive-side, protecting the front derailleur and chainrings from crud picked up from the road. Even when it's only slightly wet I find I have less stuff to clean off my drivetrain.

The nuts and screws however do come off after not very much. I lost one of the interchangeable tail fenders after only a few weeks, probably due to the screw coming out from a few bumps along Normanby.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Anyone tried fitting these in a Giant TCR Advanced frame (2011)?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Well I bought some and fitted them to the TCR. They look quite good and amazingly they had the desired effect... Soon as I fitted them, the rain cleared.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Tue May 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried these mudguards with 25mm tyres and 21-23mm wide rims? I've been looking at them but wouldn't want to purchase without knowing for sure.

Regards,

SB

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue May 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Storm Boy wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried these mudguards with 25mm tyres and 21-23mm wide rims? I've been looking at them but wouldn't want to purchase without knowing for sure.

Regards,

SB
Yes they will work with 25mm tyres and 23mm wide rims (it's what I run), the only other variable is your frame/brake clearance, impossible to say until you try.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Storm Boy wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried these mudguards with 25mm tyres and 21-23mm wide rims? I've been looking at them but wouldn't want to purchase without knowing for sure.

Regards,

SB
Check your brake stay clearances with 25mm tyres on with allen key. If less than 4mm and it will not fit but if more than 6-8mm. It will fit.

I`ve had it on my wet bike roadie with 23mm tyres and the 25mm tyres won`t fit it due to not much clearance.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Wed May 13, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks for the responses. Clearance above the front may be an issue, I'll have to check.

Cheers!

SB