Bike on train - more specifically carbon bike and bits

steve-waters

Bike on train - more specifically carbon bike and bits

Postby steve-waters » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:38 am

Hi,

I am just being parinod about worrying if i take my roadie on the train it stands a good chance of being knocked and or damaged?

I will be on the Frankston line anyone ride the train with their bike does it sustain extra damage on the train & will I even get on a peak hour train with bike in hand?

I am considering getting a Honky Inc to use instead of the roadie although a bit slower I am think the whole bike costs about the same as my wheels so be less worried about it being banged or stolen.

Cheers,
Steve
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

rdp_au

Re: Bike on train - more specifically carbon bike and bits

Postby rdp_au » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I suspect you won't be popular trying to get the bike on during peak hour. Not sure how it is in Victoria, but in NSW you are 'discouraged' from doing so by the requirement to buy an extra ticket for the bike during peak hour. Never seen or heard of anyone being challenged about it, though. I've had my bike on the train quite often and not had a problem - I just hang on to it to stop it banging into things and to move it out of the way when people are moving past.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Where are you boarding Steve? If you get on at FKN itself you have better chance of placing your scoot neatly.

I'm fortunate enough to both work for and travel by V/Line services (for now :( ) Our stock has space set aside for bikes and luggage. I have taken my CF roadie on both services but avoid peak hour sparks like the plague because of possible risk of damage. My commuter (Kona DewDrop) has the odd battle scar, typically caused by less considerate peoples throwing their bikes into the racks.

Stick to the ends of the train near the drivers cab, a bit more space available there, do not park in the doorways as it will cause delays due to longer stand times at stations and is a safety issue in case of emergency. Do not move away from your bike if you have any exxy accessories hanging off it for fear of theft. Be prepared for dirty looks in peak hour.

Methinks you have the perfect excuse for N+1 in the circumstances :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 pm

I would suggest that if your on a morning peak hour train with a full size bke you'll be lynched by the time you get to Glenhuntly or Caulfield. If you survive that, you wont be able to get your bike out until at least Parliment. Outside peak hours I've had no problems but I do hold onto my bike. I aim for that seats at the very back end of the train where there are folding seats against the wall. Use a rubber band over the brake lever as a handbrake.

BTW what is the 'official' way of getting a bike out of Parliament, Museum/Melbourne Central or Flagstaff stations?
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:07 pm

N+1 is sounding goooood - taking a bike on peak hour train is not sounding so good.

Maybe a Xootr for the 3km ride at either end for days I don't ride in.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels