Wind in your hair

avalon

Wind in your hair

Postby avalon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 pm

I've seen two cyclist within a week riding in the hills without helmets. Does this mean the anti-helmet movement has come to South Australia? I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I would like to have the choice and if I could afford the fines I would choose not to wear a helmet all of the time.

BoardRider

Re: Wind in your hair

Postby BoardRider » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:38 am

Hi Avalon
Personally I forget to wear a helmet on occasions and cant believe the abuse/comments I receive from other cyclists.
I guess wearing helmets it is part of the norm now,but I would love the wind in my hair again and some hair. I have seen more cyclists recently riding without helmets. How much is the fine? On the other hand I know of several cyclist that have avoided hitting their heads because of their helmets when coming off their bikes.Does anyone know if the serious head injuries stats have decreased for bike riders.
Is wearing a helmet worth it to my family who would eventually care for me if I had bang my head hard enough ?
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am

avalon wrote:I've seen two cyclist within a week riding in the hills without helmets. Does this mean the anti-helmet movement has come to South Australia? I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I would like to have the choice and if I could afford the fines I would choose not to wear a helmet all of the time.
I know what you're saying, Avalon, but individuals not wearing helmets or running red lights undermine other people's efforts to reconcile the cycling and motoring communities ...

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 pm

My wife came off on the weekend and a following rider ran over her head, helmet stuffed, she is fine, bit sore and bruised.

Anyone who goes out without a helmet is just asking for Darwin to step in and cull them. :roll:
Certified Brand Snob

avalon

Postby avalon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm not saying don't wear a helmet but I would personally like to be able to make my own choice and most of the time that would be to wear one. I would probably not wear one to ride 200 metres round the corner to the post office in my small country town as I don't think there is any more chance of me falling off and hitting my head doing that than there is if I was walking and tripped over.
I also get slightly annoyed by peoples attitude and comments about being irresponsible and selfish when it has been estimated that 25% of car accident fatalities could have been avoided if the driver and passengers were wearing helmets.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 pm

This thread started out as a nice, topical inquiry about pro choice activities in SA and has started to degenerate into the usual blah blah helmets this, helmets that thread that is as boring as watching the kettle boil. As it stands, the thread has local merit. If the usual chestnuts start to intrude, this thread will be moved and merged with the existing helmet thread in the Safety section.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 am

Fair enough, apologies.
Certified Brand Snob

avalon

Postby avalon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Will never mention it again.