Noobie friendly partner/groups in Wynnum/Manly?

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Started cycling back in November with a hybrid bike and have slowly been building my fitness and gear up, using a roadie now I recently finished my first participation ride the Cootha Challenge. I really enjoyed talking to a lot of the cyclists during the ride, felt like the social aspect even improved my performance, gave me something else to concentrate on rather then the pain in the legs, plus someone else could sit in the wind for once. =P

Which leads me to my current situation, riding solo can be lonely sometimes and I would really like to join some riders in hopes of learning a few things along the way. I contemplated joining one of the big cycling clubs, I believe Wynnum Redlands Cycling Club are the closest one out this side of Brisbane, but I think I would feel out of place with such seasoned riders.

Few things about me, I'm a 23 year old male, I work in the late afternoons so I can ride nearly all days of the week. When I do ride I'd start mostly in the later mornings, 9am-11am starts, I know I should be getting out much earlier but I find it hard to motivate myself especially when I've gone out or stayed up late.

Any willing partners feel free to contact me, all advise is also welcomed.
Last edited by baghwan on Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heanous

Re: Noobie friendly partner/groups in Wynnum/Manly?

Postby heanous » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am

Andrej, it seems you already know the answer, go along to a club ride, you will find your level there. If you like it, join, if not, don't. Main game is to enjoy and to get more out of what you are doing, finding like minded folks will make this so much easier. I remember seeing some Wynnum kit on the Cootha ride too, fun wasn't it :D

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

I think user briztoon, might be in your area and your time frame.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 15&t=47947

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 pm

I think there is a newish group starting some rides wensday mornings at 5:30am outside bulimba wollies if that is not to far for you? they end up around wynnum and back 50km trip i think with coffee at the end. if your keen www.brisbanecyclist.com/ is the site i found it on

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Yup, I usually leave the Belmont shopping centre on Belmont Rd at around 9am to go for rides. I work afternoons & nights (work in a pub) so late morning rides suit me.

I'll be getting back on the bike on Monday. I've been off for two weeks as I pulled a muscle in my neck and shoulder, and it's just about right to get back on the bike.

I know a few different routes now (thanks Dizz), so if you're intersted, let me know.

If you ride along the Wynnum foreshore there's a good chance you've seen me, black Specialized Tarmac SL2, usually wearing a white HTC jersey.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 pm

hi baghwan,

As briztoon said, we have an open invitation with rides that depart around 9:00am from Belmont Road Shopping Village on Sundays and during the week, the routes that we take are variations of either this Bay Loop or our Redcliffe Loop.

This week we are riding Monday, Wednesday & Friday and you would be more than welcome to join in. If your interested just send me a PM and I will be happy to answer any other questions you might have, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers, Dizz :D

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

It's good to know there is a local group doing the rounds. Hopefully I will pop along one of these days. Currently I'm riding on my own, simply around Wynnum to Lota area.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:12 am

darkelf921 wrote:Hopefully I will pop along one of these days.
Hi darkelf921,

You are more than welcome to join us but send me a PM first in regards to start times and meet locations, as we have been starting later and doing some shorter ride because of the colder shorter days.

Hope to see you soon, Dizz :D

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks Dizz. Will do. I can certainly understand the later starts :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel