Panniers

Baalzamon

Re: Panniers

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 pm

I think my Ortlieb Rack Pack is now up for sale to be replaced by that Alpkit Gourdon 20l as that looks way more versatile than the ortlieb which can be a downright pain if you need to access a pannier.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:46 pm

RonK wrote:I'm using the Alpkit Gourdon, which I posted earlier in this thread. It is a drybag with a harness and is very versatile - it's my cabin bag when flying, my shopping bag and my back pack for sidetrips.
Thanks. I don't suppose you have an idea of the maximum usable internal length do you? Just wondering if my tent will be too long.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:I'm using the Alpkit Gourdon, which I posted earlier in this thread. It is a drybag with a harness and is very versatile - it's my cabin bag when flying, my shopping bag and my back pack for sidetrips.
Thanks. I don't suppose you have an idea of the maximum usable internal length do you? Just wondering if my tent will be too long.

Andrew
My Hilleberg Soulo just fits - I will measure and update the post this evening.
Edit: The limiting factor is of course the poles - and the Soulo's poles are 44cms long. I use a Thermarest Prolite mat which folds in half to fit into a squat stuff sack, and my Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag fits in an extra small compression dry bag. These fit neatly alongside the tent leaving just enough room for a Showers Pass jacket and RainLegs.
It's tight - a longer tent would not fit, unless the poles were carried separately, but that kinda defeats the purpose.
I also have a 30 litre Gourdon, and although it doesn't have the shock-cords and pockets, it's still very versatile.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
My Hilleberg Soulo just fits - I will measure and update the post this evening.
Thanks.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Going off the website
Alpkit Gourdon 20 is 48cm in height rolled and secured, now to see if my tent will fit inside that
The 25 is 55cm and the 30 is 60cm

RonK

Panniers

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Going off the website
Alpkit Gourdon 20 is 48cm in height rolled and secured, now to see if my tent will fit inside that
I think the useable internal length will depend also on the girth of the tent bag. The Soulo is approximately 60cms in circumference but does compress a little.

Posted via Tapatalk

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:
Cancelled the order with Wiggle yesterday when they said they wouldn't be getting stock til later in March (I ordered them a month ago and am going on a trip on the 16th). Ordered replacements from PBK and they were shipped within hours. Ordered some from Cell as well - shipped within 24hrs. (Neither had both the colours I wanted).

It'll be interesting to see which ones arrive first!
Cell Bikes order arrived today.

No promo code.

$135 for Backroller Classics on PBK, $109 for Front Rollers. Backroller Classics $169 from Cell Bikes.
PBK order hasn't arrived and I leave tomorrow. My wife doesn't leave until Saturday so if they arrive tomorrow it'll work out, otherwise she'll be using the old Velogear ones with the holes in them. The dude abides...
PBK order arrived on Friday, but I left on the Thursday. My wife could have picked them up before she left (They're her panniers anyway) but she had a really busy day and couldn't get to the mail room.

The Ride Sportz and Velogear panniers were fine for our trip. The Velogear ones are looking pretty ratty and aren't fully waterproof, but they kept things dry in the few showers we found ourselves in. The attachments are pretty crappy though and the panniers rattle around on the racks.

I found my new Ortliebs to be excellent. They didn't rattle at all, the kept things dry, they were/are tough, and the shoulder straps were a revelation - we normally put all the panniers in an old linen bag and carry them to the airport that way, but it's actually pretty easy to carry four loaded panniers with the shoulder straps and then carry the bike in it's Tardis, certainly easier than the Tardis and the linen bag. The linen bag is still great for checking everything onto the plane though...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Going off the website
Well my Ortlieb Rack Pack M is 54cm in length and I managed to just get my tent in that. It's the length of mine. I have the TarpTent Scarp 2 and it's quite slim but it's long in design.
Looks like the Alpkit Gourdon 25 would be what I would have to get. But I'll wait and see where my touring takes me if I'll be using a trike etc...

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Picked up the new Vivente last week and have done some short rides without a load and am very happy. Much heavier than my other bikes but average speeds are only slightly slower, less than 2KPH for about the same effort.
Anyway, this weekend is time to test ride with a 25kg load of water spread front and back. I am just now fiddling around trying to attach the Front Roller Pluses to the Tubus Duo, "S" shaped rack. I wonder is it possible to connect the panniers so that they do not move about at all, or is a slight amount of movement to be expected, and acceptable? I have the QL2 system and have fitted the adapters but can't seem to arrange the contact points in such a way that all movement is eliminated.
Does anybody know the correct way to fit the above pannier?
Thanks RonK for posting photos earlier on of the back setup, I've got that one licked, instructions like that for the front would be most welcome. Thanks.

RonK

Panniers

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Tim wrote: Does anybody know the correct way to fit the above pannier?
Thanks RonK for posting photos earlier on of the back setup, I've got that one licked, instructions like that for the front would be most welcome. Thanks.
Sorry Tim, I tried the Duo rack but wasn't satisfied with the way the Ortliebs attached. I went back to the Ergo rack, which uses 10 mm tubes
I didn't like the way the bottom hook had to stretch over the 16mm tubes of the Duo, but others seem to use them OK so I'm probably just too fussy.
A tip that I did pick up somewhere is to turn the base of the lower hook so that it sits on top of rather than over the rail. This takes some of the tension off the hook.
Like this:
Hope this helps.

One final comment - riding a loaded tourer requires a different mindset. You really do have to slow down mentally so you don't end up pushing too hard and overcooking it - usually takes me two or three days to adjust at the start of a tour.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks Ron, I know what you mean about the lower hook. To seat the bag firmly in place with the hook hard up against the 16 mm tube puts quite a bend in it. The plastic is flexible and I hope strong enough to cope with the strain
Regarding the speed thing, I am in training to forget about it and ride slower.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Tim wrote: I am just now fiddling around trying to attach the Front Roller Pluses to the Tubus Duo, "S" shaped rack. I wonder is it possible to connect the panniers so that they do not move about at all, or is a slight amount of movement to be expected, and acceptable? I have the QL2 system and have fitted the adapters but can't seem to arrange the contact points in such a way that all movement is eliminated.
Does anybody know the correct way to fit the above pannier?
I have the Sportpacker Classics with Tubus Duo rack. The rack adapters will keep the upper hooks secure on the bar. The lower mount can be used to keep the bag stable fore & aft, by facing it so the opening is facing forwards and the hook engages the rear of the bottom loop on the rack. This picture shows one way to set your hooks, but I'd suggest it is the wrong way about - the lower hook should be reversed to come at the rack loop from the rear. The greatest loading on your panniers tends to be when braking and particularly when descending on rough roads. The bag wants to move forwards, the lower hook can come off if placed the way shown in this photo, leaving your bag free to flap about.

More of an issue on roughstuff touring I guess, where the bags get bounced around. My son has lost his lower mounts and just rides without them. I would not do this.

You can get these Ortlieb lower mounts that are a wider opening to better engage the 16mm tubing. I use them - they're not as deep but do allow the hook to sit fully on the bar better. BTW, Tubus Tara has the same sized tubing as the Duo, not sure about the Ergo.

One problem I have with my mounts is that over time, with heavy loads, one of the upper mounting hooks has spread wider and the rack adapters don't stay in place. I have lost a couple and now don't bother with it. But the front pannier can sometimes (especially on rough road climbs) bump rearwards and come off the rear of the rack bar. Happily it is usually at slow speeds. Solution is to either buy a new pannier mounting set, or somehow rig up a stopper on the rack bar to keep the hook from slipping off. Probably best to just buy a new pannier mount set.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for your time RonK and IP. Woke up this morning and there were extra photos posted on both your replies, this forum is brilliant.
In the light of day it's making more sense. After lunch and a few domestic duties I'll be out there today, transporting water.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:37 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:it's actually pretty easy to carry four loaded panniers with the shoulder straps and then carry the bike in it's Tardis, certainly easier than the Tardis and the linen bag. The linen bag is still great for checking everything onto the plane though...
Pete, I've been interested in the Tardis for some time, but have stuck to my wheeled bag as I've found it difficult to handle bike bag and panniers at the airport when I'm travelling solo. Brisbane Airport is a bloody pita when it come to getting into the terminal from the passenger drop-off lane. But the bag weighs 7.5 kgs empty, and with changes to airline sporting goods policies and steep excess baggage charges I'm reluctant to continue using it. So for my flight to NZ later this year, I'm tossing up between the Tardis and a cardboard bike box with a wheel caddy attached.

What is the Tardis like to use? I take it a lot of disassembly would be required to fit a touring bike in it - is that right? And were you able to handle the bike bag and the 4 panniers at the same time? Also, did you need to add any extra packing?

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 am

Gudday RonK. I've written up a bit of info on my Tardis experiences here and here...

Very basically, it's a safe way to transport the bike, but it takes a lot of disassembling, certainly more than a box. The main advantage is that you can ride too and from the airport and it's easier to get around the airport with than a box, especially if you're carrying panniers too. It's always with you when you need it, but that's 1.5kg to carry around for limited but valuable use.