New Garmin 800

jcjordan

Re: New Garmin 800

Postby jcjordan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:32 pm

grantw wrote:Yes, have tried all of the above. I even gave it a firm talking to... Looks like its the dreaded "fault" :cry:

Update - Appears I wasn't hard resetting it correctly, it appears to be all OK now :)
Lucky you, I had to send mine back to Garmin.

Stuck with a 705 that has never worked properly since the last firmware upgrade
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am

I have always logged my rides with sports tracker on my Nokia Phone, I loved it as it was one program that I could seperate my different rides on, (road/Commuting/just taking the kids out) plus it had seperate settings for running and a heap of other stuff (I used to use it as a tracker when I went out 4wding, and same for my wife when she went trail riding on her horse so we could see on google earth where we had been). After 3 years my nokia packed it in and the gps wouldn't connect any more so I upgraded to a HTC sensation, good phone worst battery, from fully charged it managed to run sports trcacker for about 4.5 hours before the battery gave out 3km from home, NOT HAPPY.

So seing as I'm stuck with the phone for the next couple of years I thought about getting a Garmin, also so I have a speedo on my bike not in my pocket.
I can get a 705 for $369 or an 800 for $599, so really leaning to the 705 as as far as I can tell the only real difference is the touch screen, and I'm not to fussed about that. unless there is someother reason to go the dearer model? (sorry I haven't read all 17 pages of this thead to find out if it has been covered, I'm a pit pushed for time at the moment.)

Comedian

New Garmin 800

Postby Comedian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:51 am

When fitted to my mtb my 800 keeps auto stopping and starting. It's beeping all the time! It doesn't seem to affect what it records though. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happinging?

I've turned off the wheel sensor to no effect. Being new i am riding slowly but i have heard it do it at like 25kph. The only sure fire fix is turning off auto stop.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 am

Comedian wrote: I've turned off the wheel sensor to no effect. Being new i am riding slowly but i have heard it do it at like 25kph. The only sure fire fix is turning off auto stop.
What do you have the auto stop set to when it's not turned off?
IE - Is it configured for a set speed, or just automatically "when stopped"?

I just have mine configured at a set speed [10km/h], and it's never caused me any issues.

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Comedian wrote:When fitted to my mtb my 800 keeps auto stopping and starting. It's beeping all the time! It doesn't seem to affect what it records though. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happinging?

I've turned off the wheel sensor to no effect. Being new i am riding slowly but i have heard it do it at like 25kph. The only sure fire fix is turning off auto stop.
Could it be you're riding in an area where the signal keeps dropping out? This could lead your Garmin into into thinking it has stopped. I guess. :?:

Comedian

New Garmin 800

Postby Comedian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Mapomatic wrote:
Comedian wrote:When fitted to my mtb my 800 keeps auto stopping and starting. It's beeping all the time! It doesn't seem to affect what it records though. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happinging?

Could it be you're riding in an area where the signal keeps dropping out? This could lead your Garmin into into thinking it has stopped. I guess. :?:
I did initially suspect that due to being on single track. However there were others there with identical garmins and they werent doing that. Will look at the signal next time. :)

kb

New Garmin 800

Postby kb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Mapomatic wrote:
Comedian wrote: ...
In which case you definitely want the wheel sensor on. Silly question but is the bike set up with it's own profile?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 am

Comedian wrote:When fitted to my mtb my 800 keeps auto stopping and starting.
Mine has started doing this but really weirdly on one bike and one section of one commute. I ended up turning off the sensor and that seemed to fix the issue.

Andrew

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 pm

My guess is your Cadence /Speed sensor either needs new batteries or is on the way to its death. I have been through 4 cadence sensors. Try going into setup and tell the Garmin you have no ATN cadence / speed sensor and see if that fixes it.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:My guess is your Cadence /Speed sensor either needs new batteries or is on the way to its death. I have been through 4 cadence sensors. Try going into setup and tell the Garmin you have no ATN cadence / speed sensor and see if that fixes it.
I just had an issue where my speed/cadence sensor was not reading speed. I replaced the battery but it still didn't work. I had to re-pair the speed/cadence sensor for it to start working again. Weird but effective.
<removed by request>

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Did your profile on the device change?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 am

casual_cyclist wrote: I just had an issue where my speed/cadence sensor was not reading speed. I replaced the battery but it still didn't work. I had to re-pair the speed/cadence sensor for it to start working again. Weird but effective.
just what the manual tells you is needed
p49 ..."After you replace the GSC10 battery, you must pair it with the device again"

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: I just had an issue where my speed/cadence sensor was not reading speed. I replaced the battery but it still didn't work. I had to re-pair the speed/cadence sensor for it to start working again. Weird but effective.
just what the manual tells you is needed
p49 ..."After you replace the GSC10 battery, you must pair it with the device again"
You read the manual? Weird! (But effective)

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 am

I replaced the battery in my strap and it didn't pair. So I then read the manual.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:I replaced the battery in my strap and it didn't pair. So I then read the manual.
Never had a Garmin strap work after a battery replacement. Even read the manual
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

snark

Postby snark » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am

jcjordan wrote:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:I replaced the battery in my strap and it didn't pair. So I then read the manual.
Never had a Garmin strap work after a battery replacement. Even read the manual
Once I replaced the battery in the strap and I couldn't get it to pair. Somewhere on the great Internet someone mentioned putting the battery in backwards for 30 seconds, then putting it back in the normal way. After that it could pair fine. I guess this must have reset something or cleared some dwindling charge or somesuch in the strap. This was on an Edge 500, not 800, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."