Psychological Performance

drubie

Psychological Performance

Postby drubie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:22 pm

One of our club members is doing his PhD at the moment in psychology.

I'd like to cyber beg my fellow BNA road racers into filling out his survey:

http://www.armidalecyclingclub.org/2012 ... on-a-bike/

Have at it!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

notwal

Re: Psychological Performance

Postby notwal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Sounds interesting. I'm not a racer but I do the occasional club comp eg hill climb or tt.

There seems to be a fundamental flaw in that survey.
The question at every point asks how frequently one asks oneself the following question....
It then poses a question that one is tempted to answer but it is not the question being asked.
GIGO?
judged, insulted, gone

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Notwal, I am not a psychologist and I have never played one on TV - although I did a unit of psychology first year at university.

There are very specific patterns and rules in the construction of surveys like Johns and as far as I can tell his is constructed correctly. The general idea is to ask the same question(s) lots of times in different (disguised) ways so as to discern the wheat of considered answers from the chaff of random clicking / box ticking.

I'm not a huge fan of online stuff myself because it precludes the "debriefing" that I was taught should follow a survey, but it's been a long time since I studied the subject and I can assure you John knows what he is doing.

Thanks for filling it out though, the more people he gets the better it is.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

notwal

Postby notwal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 am

Well I can't get back into it to scrounge an illustration but the second part of the survey asks a series of meta-questions that all begin with words to effect 'How often do you think about the following question' followed by a question like 'Are you aware of the passage of time?'. The proper literal answer may be 'never' because you never think about whether or not you are aware of the passage of time. However what I suspect he wants to know is how often you are aware/not aware of the passage of time.
I followed the literal instructions and for that part of the questionnaire I found myself ticking 'never' in nearly every box which I suspect is not telling him what he wants to know.
judged, insulted, gone

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 am

filled it out. encourage people to help out, these guys put a lot of work into their research, give them a hand.