Tour De Hills Bicycle Classic 2012

invisable

Re: Tour De Hills Bicycle Classic 2012

Postby invisable » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm

I think we just make our way to the front in the first 10 or so kms, and lets see how we feel and who else wants to give it a crack and go from there. I am keen to do a personal best average speed, and 36km/h over 100km would be one.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Go the full brutal... I've managed to keep a pretty good pace over a few bunch rides including some power up the hills, I figure I don't mind being ready to vomit at the end :lol:

Postby 93360 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Xplora wrote:I figure I don't mind being ready to vomit at the end :lol:
That aint healthy..

Anyone looking for a more "casual" paced ride at around 20~25km/h average? I ride an MTB so that's my excuse.. that said it still equates to about an 80% effort on my part so still gonna be quite tired after about a 5 hour ride..

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 pm

93360 wrote:
Xplora wrote:I figure I don't mind being ready to vomit at the end :lol:
That aint healthy..

Anyone looking for a more "casual" paced ride at around 20~25km/h average? I ride an MTB so that's my excuse.. that said it still equates to about an 80% effort on my part so still gonna be quite tired after about a 5 hour ride..
Ironically, you'd probably feel better just doing 30+ and getting it done in 3 hours - 5 hours is a long time in the saddle without a lot of breaks

ajfriar

Postby ajfriar » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

I'll be riding a flat bar. Obviously doing this as quickly as I can but suspect I'll be averaging 20-25km so happy to hook-up with people of a similar speed.

5 hours will be a bit tiring so hopefully can go below that. This is the first time I am riding this event so will be quite curious to see how it goes.

Friend of mind did 138km down Bathurst way today and was out for over 8 hours, now that's a long day in the saddle.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:49 am

I'll be there, probably averaging about 28-32kmh so will end up wherever I end up!

Azzurri_Solo

Postby Azzurri_Solo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this ride. Registered way back when a guy I met on my ride home from work told me about it. A bit ambitious as I registered for the 100km route. The most distance I have cycled is 60kms. I regularly ride about 45kms per week. So we'll see how I go. My fitness level is decent but I wouldnt' say I am a hardcore rider that is stick thin with cut up legs and superb core strength! :-)

Can anyone tell me which road has the hardest/longest climb on this course? I'm planning to drive around it this week to check it out before hitting the start line on Sunday (April 1st). Have been getting alot of practice in but would like a better idea what what I'll be dealing with on the day.

Would appreciate some info as this is prolly the longest distance ride I have ever entered in. Trying to get my fitness back up there since we had a few kids. Already dropped some weight to help.

Thanks in advance! :-)
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Azzurri Solo Road Bike (Shimano Sora 24sp)
Late 80's Repco Traveller (Single Speed Conversion)
2011 Dahon MU Uno Single Speed

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm

I am sure you will be fine Azzurrie_Solo just pace yourself :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 pm

I've ridden around the area a couple times, I think if you're riding 45kms at a good pace and are reasonably fit, have a huge amount of sugar carbs and a coke before starting, have a bidon full of cola and a bidon of water, and have a big meal the night before - you should be able to handle it. lube up those knicks as well :lol:

EDIT Solo, had a look at the elevation maps, I think the most important thing to survive the 100 would be to go out reasonably quick to warm up and don't push yourself too hard on Glenhaven Rd, because the majority of the bad climbing is there. Make sure you spin it on the first one, and then focus on keeping a comfortable pace until you hit Glenhaven Rd on the second tilt.

Postby 93360 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:50 pm

just signed up, aiming to average 25kph, come at me hills.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Well... reports? I did the century in 3.5 hours. Missed the start by 15 minutes, spent the whole day either really lonely, overtaking people and about 3-5kms of drafting through the downhills on Cattai Ridge Rd.

Strange... I wasn't passed by ANYONE I saw the whole day for longer than a minute. Just found it was easier to go past - but I was eating up stragglers the whole day. Would be interesting to see how it would have gone if I'd actually started with the main bunch and managed some drafting, as well as a better prep with nutrition etc. I stopped at the Hillside firestation to grab a few cups of Staminade after stopping just before to down my bidon of Coke. Two muesli bars, a coke and water bidon wasn't even close to enough to survive and prosper on that ride.

BTW, what the hell is up with Glenhaven Road... I'm not throwing away my 12-27 when the 12-23 arrives. The second run up had me screaming loudly to get the motivation to go up. I didn't see anyone else embarrassing themselves in such a way, but I was also passing them :lol:

Postby 93360 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:50 pm

started 20 mins late because i forgot to bring my helmet at first >.<
so instead i did the unofficial 80km route consisting of the 30km circuit and the 50km cicuit.
passed by just about everyone today.. except two guys on roadbikes.. so i take that as great success! lol
also i really need ergon's new sm3 saddle coz my sitbones were in a lot of pain by the 50km mark, roads are so freaking bumpy..
nice and sunny but really hot, my tach was saying it was 35ish degrees towards midday.. didn't feel hot but definitely tired a lot quicker.
glenhaven road was ok, wasn't really pushing it but only the last climb up towards old northern road was worth any complaint.
the twisty downhill part of cattai ridge road would have been better if a convoy of bikies didn't decide to pass through at that moment, couldn't really get any speed being so close the edge of the road..
would i do it next year? depends on whether i get a road bike.. and a comfy saddle.

sonj

Postby sonj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I did the 60km ride and enjoyed every bit of it except the occasional predictable honk from cars who felt I shouldn't ever be allowed to ride to the right of the white line. Got around in 2h17 and the climb up to Old Northern Road had me wobbling in granny gear just like last weekend at the BNSW Orange Discovery ride up the Pinnacle (ugh). Of course Annangrove Road I felt like I could have ridden along all day! Next year I might try for 100km seeing as I've never done a metric century before.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:57 pm

sonj wrote: occasional predictable honk
Given how many signs were out, and the number of riders, any driver hitting the horn is just an unbelievably retarded shuffle of a knuckle today. There were a couple of clowns giving a bloke some grief as he was overtaking (the century had a lot of stragglers, understandably). I simply slotted in behind the cars because I wanted to overtake too. It really is embarrassing for the driving population considering you don't need to pass a test to ride a bike, but a car driver does, yet the understanding of the rules is nonexistant. :lol:

invisable

Postby invisable » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am

Hi did the 100km what a cracker of a day done it in 3 hours 15 min, the first part of the course was a bit draining but the back half was just great, got pushed into the gutter at a rounderbout by a car but other then that, top day, full marks to Rotory for such a great day. Will be back next year

Arty

Postby Arty » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am

Xplora wrote:Well... reports? I did the century in 3.5 hours. Missed the start by 15 minutes, spent the whole day either really lonely, overtaking people and about 3-5kms of drafting through the downhills on Cattai Ridge Rd.

Strange... I wasn't passed by ANYONE I saw the whole day for longer than a minute. Just found it was easier to go past - but I was eating up stragglers the whole day. Would be interesting to see how it would have gone if I'd actually started with the main bunch and managed some drafting, as well as a better prep with nutrition etc. I stopped at the Hillside firestation to grab a few cups of Staminade after stopping just before to down my bidon of Coke. Two muesli bars, a coke and water bidon wasn't even close to enough to survive and prosper on that ride.

BTW, what the hell is up with Glenhaven Road... I'm not throwing away my 12-27 when the 12-23 arrives. The second run up had me screaming loudly to get the motivation to go up. I didn't see anyone else embarrassing themselves in such a way, but I was also passing them :lol:
What happened to the 36km/h avg mate? haha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Seriously but glad to hear the ride went well....

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Trek_Arty wrote:What happened to the 36km/h avg mate? haha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Seriously but glad to hear the ride went well....
That's why they are called goals, and not divine prophecy :mrgreen:

Should say I reckon 28.5 is pretty respectable for a first run out there, especially when I've got the trunk bag on the back of the Kona boat anchor :lol:

ajfriar

Postby ajfriar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 pm

I rode this event last weekend. I did the 100km and found it a great event. Well organised and marshalled. The roads aren't that bad, I have definitely ridden worse. Traffic not so bad, amazingly though as the morning went on more low brows did appear to be driving. All in all though not a single hassle.

This was my first 100km event in a long time, and I believe I will be doing it again next year.

Here is a link that shows the loop and profile http://tinyurl.com/ct33zcd for future reference.

Strata was killing my mobile so I stopped it at 60km.

ajfriar

Postby ajfriar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Putty the URL was removed on the last one.

Doing the metric ton and getting the food right looks to be the biggest challenge.

Which forum is best to discuss food on. Any suggestions on more savory foods for the ride I was sick of sweet stuff after, water, cliff bars (choc peanut), and staminade. My traditional long ride favorite the trust snickers was spat out after just one bite.

Any suggestions?

Btw I was in the fatcyclist jersey on the flat bar, did manage to knock the 100km in 3:23 (ride time)

ajfriar

Postby ajfriar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Sorry 4:23 typo..

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am

ajfriar wrote:Sorry 4:23 typo..
LOL I was feeling down when you beat my time :lol:

Yeah the food seems to be a big problem. I am going to be taking half a dozen of those honeyshotz from capilano next time I do a century, I really feel like I could have banged it out in 3 hours with appropriate food going in. I wasn't going to bonk at 75km but I definitely realised that I wasn't pushing as hard as I needed to make 3 hours.

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Xplora wrote:
sonj wrote: occasional predictable honk
It really is embarrassing for the driving population considering you don't need to pass a test to ride a bike, but a car driver does, yet the understanding of the rules is nonexistant. :lol:
And you wonder how some car driver have passed the test.
I think the understanding of the rules (or attitude to the rules) is just as bad for both parties.