I miss my riding

gretaboy

I miss my riding

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 am

You wouldn't think a simple bike ride or the lack of one could make such a difference to one's disposition but after nearly 5 weeks of no riding, I am a real grump. The bounce has gone out of my step, the feeling of being "fit" is no longer there and I am struggling with my work.

To make matters worst, this last week has been perfect for riding, little bit of rain, but not a lot and the temp has been just right.

I have got another week or so to go before I can ride again. I am looking forward to getting my cast off as a start but am really looking forward to being able to ride to work again and put my life on the line battling the trucks and crazies.

I know my hand isn't going to be 100% right and the riding will hurt me but I also know I can't wait any longer, can't put riding off. Driving to work at the moment all I can do is think about the route I take, which is exactly the same as my bike ride, and the points on the route which will hurt me in the first couple of weeks back riding.

I think my partner will also be looking forward to the change in me once I start riding again, she always comments on my moodiness when I haven't ridden for a while.

This injury has made me appreciate though the gift of "normality" that I take for granted and what I am able to do as a result.

Sorry, I just needed to offload :)

Ozkaban

Re: I miss my riding

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm

offload completely understandable. Hope you're back in the saddle again soon.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Go nuts mate, you're among friends. Most of us have been in the same boat at some time.

That first ride might hurt physically but it will do great things for your soul. :mrgreen:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Good luck GretaBoy. Hope the comeback is hassle free so you can once again take on crazy Hunter drivers, especially the trucks. :)

Matt

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

dino1969

I miss my riding

Postby dino1969 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Ozkaban wrote:offload completely understandable. Hope you're back in the saddle again soon.
ditto +1
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

ave a go

Postby ave a go » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

gretaboy wrote:You wouldn't think a simple bike ride or the lack of one could make such a difference to one's disposition but after nearly 5 weeks of no riding, I am a real grump.
I've only been riding/commuting since the start of the year and notice the same thing after only a couple of days off. Would hate to think what I'd be like after weeks!!!!!!
dino1969 wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:offload completely understandable. Hope you're back in the saddle again soon.
ditto +1

+ 2
Riding: 2009 Giant CRX Four

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:32 am

Awww your choice of title and description of your now bounceless step sounds so very sad. I hope that you will be back with the one you love most (or is it second most after your partner?) very very soon.
i love my bike(s)

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am

I feel your pain, 7 days off the bike with chest infection.

Made me realise how much longer it takes to get to work on the train, yawn. And it is so uncomfortable and hot!

Plan to be back on the bike Monday morning!

JM

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am

I'm in the exact same boat (bike?) - a collision with a car on my commute four weeks ago has kept me off the bike with shoulder problems. I've been out once a week for a casual weekend ride but the fitness and bike comfort has already dropped. hrmph!

I've been told by the minster of war and finance that I'm not allowed to commute until we return from our vacation (we leave in two weeks), so I'm counting down the days to our trip, and to our return when I can finally put some km's into my legs!

All the best with your recovery, good luck with getting back on the bike!

gabrielle260

I miss my riding

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:22 am

Completely understand Gretaboy! Yesterday I did my first real road ride for 2 months following the shoulder surgery I had in Dec. Like you, I get grumpy when I don't ride and my poor wife had to listen to it.
Good luck and be patient... My mistake was that I tried to get back on the road too soon - not a good idea!
Andrew

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 am

Well I am back on the bike.

The legs certainly felt it whilst riding, but I wasnt going to push myself too badly. Was just happy to get some k's under my legs. My thumb held up pretty well, it was a little sore but overall it felt good.

Weather was ok until my last 8 k's then the heavens opened up, it was heavy. But have had a shower at work and got cleaned up and am feeling on top of the world now. Have already decided I will ride home regardless of weather

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes by the way.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 pm

It could be worse...

I've been on a research field trip in a remote aboriginal community for the past 8 weeks, and 4 more to go, and have only recently found myself a ride. It's a Southern Star MTB, 3 x 8 that I converted to a single speed (using an angle grinder, punch and hammer in lieu of a chain breaker) with a bottom bracket that feels as though there are no bearings in it whatsoever and wheel bearings just as bad.

Well, you get what you pay for: it was lying in a ditch.

I miss my bikes.

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I was in the same bout about a week ago,

I injured my ankle at gymnastics training 6 weeks ago and was devastated when I was told I was in a cast for 2 weeks followed by wearing a moon boot for another three weeks.
About a week ago I had the moon boot removed and was able to hop back on the bike :D

I hope that you get back on the saddle soon :)

William,
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P