Todays rides

blc

Todays rides

Postby blc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 am

Here's my data for the Canberra ride - http://app.strava.com/rides/6009907. Rode all 5 climbs but with storms closing in decided to skip the loop out to Queanbeyan & back.

Needed to pause and check the map a few times between Stromlo & Red Hill. I managed to hook up with a small bunch of locals who knew the way - which was lucky, given the state of Cotter Road. Incidentally, I heard that it may have been over zealous 'Clean Up Australia' vollies responsible for the missing signage! I think Rotary did an okay job given the circumstances.

On the whole it was a fun ride with some very enjoyable climbs!

Being caught in the mother of all hail storms outside Goulburn (with bike attached to the roof) was a different story!

cp123

Re: Todays rides

Postby cp123 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Riding south from the city last night approximately 6.30 I saw an ambulance at the south side of CW bridge - just where the bikepath along the lake meets the one down off the bridge and the one coming from under the bridge - the 3 way corner - kind of near the national library. :|

300 me further on and i got a flat. jumped off - sitting in the dark at the edge of the road opposite the croquet club and i thanked goodness for ayup lights on my lid - so i could pick bits of glass out the tyre. there were a few blokes that came past and asked "you right?" and I politely said thanks but I'm okay to each and every one. So if any of you here were any of you chaps - then thanks! But I was okay - I've done it a zillion times. Its noice to know people offer to help. Well, I always do too so i guess its good karma!

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Cotter Uriarra loop with my cousin after work today. I felt crap, but soldiered on. Rule #5. Very noticeable what a couple of weeks of eating badly can do to you.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Busted out 2 Red Hills and a half lap of the lake tonight. Amazing evening for a ride, perfect weather. Only issue was number of bugs that coated my skin when I got home and the few I swallowed :|

Haven't been up Red Hill for a good 5months. Felt good carrying a few less kg up there this time :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

kb

Todays rides

Postby kb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:07 pm

I had my first fall today since ... um.. '96. There was a broom lying diagonally across the left lane and by the time I noticed it, I had a choice of ride into traffic or try to ride over it. Nothing broken but very sore shoulder from sliding along and hitting the kerb. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not being more attentive as it means time off riding while I'm on leave :-(. Oh well, at least I'm up to date with my tetanus shots again.

the_big_fella

Postby the_big_fella » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:18 pm

kb wrote:I had my first fall today since ... um.. '96. There was a broom lying diagonally across the left lane and by the time I noticed it, I had a choice of ride into traffic or try to ride over it. Nothing broken but very sore shoulder from sliding along and hitting the kerb. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not being more attentive as it means time off riding while I'm on leave :-(. Oh well, at least I'm up to date with my tetanus shots again.

Sorry to hear that kb. Rest up and get better.
Coincidentally I had my first fall ever yesterday also - on Commonwealth Avenue bike land just north of the bridge (just past the Parkes way exit). I have no idea how it happened - I just remember coming to in the ambo with some mild concussion, some pretty big scrapes on my leg and shoulder and a big shiner above my left eye - thank god for helmets...

Thanks to the motorist who called the ambos and police.
I Am very annoyed because
a) I don't know how it happened; and
b) it means time off riding, especially when the weather is so fantastic.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm

crikey - that don't sound good for either of you.

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 am

Hey Big Fella and KB, heal fast. Back on the horsebikething ASAP! :)

Fellow Canberrans, my cousin (who some of you may know... she's been cycling in Canberra for years) has just been diagnosed with leukemia. Please read this post if you have time/inclination/curiosity as to her name/yadda. Thanks!

Now. Very long weekend. SOOOOO much cycling time. I have family coming to visit for Easter (and riding). I'm thinking I take my mum on a nice smooth ~50km ride like Fed->Sutton->Gundaroo Rd->through Gungahlin, back to Downer via Barton Hwy (or other way around probably).

...and then I take my dad and brother on a casual lake/Mt Stromlo run. Should be a fantastic weekend!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 am

mezla wrote:Hey Big Fella and KB, heal fast. Back on the horsebikething ASAP! :)

Fellow Canberrans, my cousin (who some of you may know... she's been cycling in Canberra for years) has just been diagnosed with leukemia. Please read this post if you have time/inclination/curiosity as to her name/yadda. Thanks!

Now. Very long weekend. SOOOOO much cycling time. I have family coming to visit for Easter (and riding). I'm thinking I take my mum on a nice smooth ~50km ride like Fed->Sutton->Gundaroo Rd->through Gungahlin, back to Downer via Barton Hwy (or other way around probably).

...and then I take my dad and brother on a casual lake/Mt Stromlo run. Should be a fantastic weekend!
Hmmm I think I went to school with your cousin. Was she at St Francis from 96-99? All the best for her and well done on doing your bit :).

As for riding, busted out 57km last night. 2 Red Hills (another 30sec off my recent PB :) ) and then around the lake. Another great evening for it!

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

EDIT: Thanks Haks :), and yep that's the Cait in question (so to speak :?)

Just did a nice easy little 50k loop out through Gungahlin to Sutton (via Mulligans Flat Rd/Gundaroo Rd) and back via the Fed. Had to research something without any steep bits as my mum got a new bike with a 23 on the back hehe.

kb

Todays rides

Postby kb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the goodwill guys. Now the swelling in my shoulder's down it doesn't seem so bad, (especially compared to the_big_fella). After all, I made it another 1km home :-)

Good luck with the fundraising mezla! Cancer sucks.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:11 pm

mezla wrote:EDIT: Thanks Haks :), and yep that's the Cait in question (so to speak :?)

Just did a nice easy little 50k loop out through Gungahlin to Sutton (via Mulligans Flat Rd/Gundaroo Rd) and back via the Fed. Had to research something without any steep bits as my mum got a new bike with a 23 on the back hehe.
Looks like you did the opposite loop to me. Used to be know as Route de Gravier, but now commonly known as Route de Griddier. 5 of the bastards! Hope they hold up to heavy traffic without too much distortion or that they put in a cycle lane.
http://app.strava.com/rides/6258925

the_big_fella

Postby the_big_fella » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:19 pm

kb wrote:Thanks for the goodwill guys. Now the swelling in my shoulder's down it doesn't seem so bad, (especially compared to the_big_fella). After all, I made it another 1km home :-)

Good luck with the fundraising mezla! Cancer sucks.

Yeah, thanks guys for. I will be back on the bike as soon as I can - the eye is turning a lovely colour today but everything else is feeling pretty good. It will be a little while before I get back on the same bike because the front wheel has buckled. That's why we have more than 1 bike!

Good luck with the cancer ride and fundraising mezla. It's a disease that touches everyone's life.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks Big Fella :)

mrgolf, Route de Griddier indeed. Grids can be fine to ride over, but these are brutal. I'm not even sure I should ride over them... worried about my bike!

Maybe a strip of rubber could be nailed into the ground to offer a path for cyclists. Some ninja roadworks may be in order :-D

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 pm

can't type......so tired......121km ride done.

Kambah - Lake George (that was the easy part) then back on Bungendore road and through Wamboin, Sutton road (will never ride that again), Fairbairn Ave and onto the Lake and then down Adelaide Ave and through Woden. The first 50km to lake George was ok with a bit of a tail/cross wind. From then on though it was struggle street into the head wind or massive cross winds. Didn't help that I had to ration water all the way back. The Red Bull I inhaled at the airport was def what got me home!

mezla

Postby mezla » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm

AAhaha HAKS man, I feel your pain. Here's proof. :)

Barton Hwy to Murrumbateman - holy crap they paved it with f*ckin boulders! So damned bumpy. Paris-Roubaix pfft... try Canberra-Murrumbateman :lol:
Then Murrumbateman Rd to Sutton and on to Lake George via the Fed, then I turned around and nearly had what little hair I have left torn from my head by the insane headwind screaming down the hwy. Thank god for helmets or I'm pretty sure I'd be bald. 119km all up, then had to go get the on-call mobile from a colleague, so back out into the wind for another 24km to the arse end of Amaroo and back.

So, one hamburger with the lot and minimum chips from Watson shops later and I'm feeling ok, except for knee pain when I stand up.

So, here's to Tom Boonen - hardest mofo on the tour.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Disappointing weekend for riding. Family has been a little demanding. 45 road kms yesterday on a Fyshwick - Curtin - Home loop and 30 MTB kms today at Bruce Ridge. Happy with speed yesterday with average to the turnoff just before home at 36kmh solo. A fair whack of that was into a headwind (Fyshwick to Curtin). Cant wait for the school holidays.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Were you at Stromlo with the rest of your crew this morning?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 pm

No. Birthday, so I slept in for morning with family, but did so conflicted.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Happy birthday MrGolf!

111km out on Fed->Shingle Hill->Fed to Grandma's Little Bakery and back home on Fed, with three mates. Fun ride... good to be slowed down sometimes. I feel pretty lively right now... if I'd been alone I'd have gone faster and would be wrecked.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:48 pm

35km or so at the CCC Lookout Hill race. 3rd last i think in D grade :P

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Did the Route de Griddier today, knew about the dirt and cattlegrids having ridden there a couple of months ago but there has been no improvement in that time. Will not ride that route again until it is fixed. Why do they need so many cattlegrids?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Just heard about the nasty crash in Mens C/Womens B on Sat. I left straight after my race while they were still on their last lap. Sounds like a few were on the wrong side of the road for the sprint and then cut other rides off when they come back to the left. Looks pretty nasty from the photos I found linked from the VCC forums. Hope all GWS

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Ross wrote:Did the Route de Griddier today, knew about the dirt and cattlegrids having ridden there a couple of months ago but there has been no improvement in that time. Will not ride that route again until it is fixed. Why do they need so many cattlegrids?
Rumour has it they exist as crossings for some rare lizards. I have no issue with that, per se. There are a crap load, though. And I hope they sort a path to the side for cyclists.

Rode a reverse Griddier today. Very nice day for a ride.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:52 pm

mezla wrote:Hey Big Fella and KB, heal fast. Back on the horsebikething ASAP! :)

Sad to hear about Cait. Mr Golf and I have the pleasure of working with her.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600