SRAM goes electric with E-matic e-bike power system

Aushiker

SRAM goes electric with E-matic e-bike power system

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:51 pm

It’s taken SRAM a while to get into the e-bike game, and what they’ve come up with is, essentially, a 135mm OLD hub and battery pack combo. The E-matic electric assist system, to give it its full title, will fit on to any normal frame that has rack mounts, and runs any normal single-speed drivetrain (the company recommends a 44/17 gear ratio, but it’s really up to you). Then the SRAM-designed rack and battery pack unit attaches to the bike like any ordinary rack, and the battery connects to a hub via a single wire. And that’s it. No gears or handlebar controls; no unsightly bulbous ‘design’ bits on the frame; nothing.

The hub houses a processor, automatic transmission and motor, and power delivery is controlled by a ’sophisticated algorithm’. Which means, claims the company, that power is delivered intelligently, when you need it, and doesn’t take away from the bike-y feel of the bike. It also tails off the power gently, to prevent you hitting the wall when the maximum assisted speed is reached. In Europe, that’s 25km/h; in the States, that’s 20mph. Who likes hitting the wall at 25km/h? And who knew that Americans were allowed to go faster?

There are three battery pack options, weighing between 1 and 1.5kg, which give a claimed 60-95km maximum range - the largest pack being the top end. And you can run either rim or disc brakes.

Source: Road.cc

This looks actually interesting to me for summer commuting. Pity will it is not going to be an aftermarket fit at this stage.

Andrew

trailgumby

Re: SRAM goes electric with E-matic e-bike power system

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Traitors! :evil:

:wink:

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I assume there's some sort of torque sensing pedelec system going on inside the hub? Otherwise it's unclear how you activate it.
no unsightly bulbous ‘design’ bits on the frame
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the battery in the main triangle for aesthetics, weight distribution, and the ability to choose my own rack (eg Topeak MTX)

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

MattyK wrote:I assume there's some sort of torque sensing pedelec system going on inside the hub? Otherwise it's unclear how you activate it.
no unsightly bulbous ‘design’ bits on the frame
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the battery in the main triangle for aesthetics, weight distribution, and the ability to choose my own rack (eg Topeak MTX)
Agreed. I mounted my battery in the triangle on a frame that I built myself for my latest bike build. Much better weight distribution. It's nearly ready for pictures. still need to pretty it up a bit...
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg