SunSuper Ride to Conquer Cancer

open topic, for anything cycling related.

SunSuper Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 am

Friends, cyclists, countrymen, lend me your wheels
I come to bury Cancer, not to praise it
The good that men do lives after them
The evil oft lives only in their bones
So it is with Cancer

...well, so it is with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, which is what my cousin (and housemate) Cait Horan has just been diagnosed with. She's tough as a Siberian Fighting Nail, so I'm pretty sure she'll kick it's arse, but her fight has motivated me to also fight... maybe it's my Scottish/German/English/Irish ancestory - lots of fighting types in those parts it seems... but not the French... cheese eating surrender monkeys.

ANYWAY. Although I can help take care of her and support her, I can't actually stab the Cancer without hurting her quite a lot, and I'm not a cancer scientist dude, so I can't directly help find a cure, but I can and will be participating in an event called The Sunsuper Ride to Conquer Cancer, the proceeds of which go to a place called the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse at RPA. When complete, Lifehouse will be a world-class cancer treatment and research facility. Through this event, I can help prevent other families from having to struggle with this disease, and hopefully, by funding research, eventually reduce the huge burden on the world that Cancer is.

The Ride to Conquer Cancer is a 2-day bike ride over 200 kilometres through New South Wales' scenic countryside. Easy right? :) Join us if you dare! We do 100km the first day, have a bit of a kip, then get up and do another 100km the next day. We'll train and prepare, and by then we'll have pretty tough bums, so it should go ok, but it'll all be for nought if folk like yourselves don't give generously to this excellent cause.

Cancer is a huge killer, and an even more huge emotional, physical and financial cost to all of humanity. More money means more science and research, and one day a cure. My team and I hope to bring that day a little closer by riding with each other, and other teams, to generate awareness and funds for clinical care, research, education, and integrative therapies.

We understand that many great causes compete for your fundraising dollars. The cost of cancer is huge to everyone, whether you are directly affected or not, so this cause is not only a compassionate one, but also represents a good investment of your charity dollars.

My goal is to raise $2500 and I really hope you'll help me get there. It's hard asking for money, but I don't need much from each donor - every bit counts. There's even a simple monthly payment option (two clicks!). Give $10, or $30 over 2 months, or $100 over 5 months - every donation is greatly appreciated. Click the link at the bottom of this email to donate to me online. You'll also find a printed donation form on my webpage, if you prefer that. Thanks for reading! :)

Sincerely,

- Matt

Click here to visit my personal page.

Click here to view the team page for Cait's Team
mezla

by BNA » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 am

BNA

Re: SunSuper Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby mrgolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 am

Cait is a colleague of mine. You are right about being tough as nails! She is a true champ.

Awesome work organising this.
mrgolf

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks mrgolf :)

I've actually been totally amazed by people's generosity so far. A mate from work gave $150... ! :shock:
mezla

Postby Mustang » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Good Luck with your fundraising, there are a number of forum members raising money for this .
Mustang

Postby mezla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks Mustang, same to you!

...I don't think Biskit could make the 100kms... you might have to get a trailer :)
mezla

Postby kunama » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Excellent effort to support the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse (AT) RPA . My brother has now been cancer-free for 2 years, after having a 1.5kg tumour removed and chemo etc. Safe riding.
kunama

Postby mezla » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks Kunama :)

Congrats on the excellent outcome for your brother! 2yrs and counting.
mezla

Return to General discussion