New Commuter, on a Mission

Kuufu

Postby Kuufu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello all,

First post, but reading the forums for a little while.
I've been riding recreationally and for fitness for a few months now, so I've decided to put it to good use and start commuting. Only downside is i live in the Hills area and I work in the eastern suburbs, making my commute a hefty 100km return ride.
I've done a 50km ride on the M7 cycleway in 2 hours so I should be able to manage a commute on and off. But it's fun and it seems to get more exciting the more you do it. Just seeing your results and gains is a really good motivator. So for now I'm just going to start one day a week and then add another day at a time as I get better.
Anybody else have a similar ride? I've bee trying to find a decent path the whole way but anything further from Five Dock or Rozelle seems to be a bit disjointed with the bikepaths. A riding buddy is also welcome.
Keep on commuting and have a blast!

jasonc

Re: New Commuter, on a Mission

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:32 am

other option is commute to work one day, home the next. day off wed commute in thu, home friday.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 am

Kuufu...I do a 90k return ride, but not in sydney, 4 days a week

Believe me, you will need to work into doing it every day, it does take a toll on you. I started riding every morning, but catching a train home in the afternoons. I then built up to 2 afternoons a week and finally took the plunge and did every morning and afternoon that I commute. I am still getting used to the everyday round trip.

So like Jasonc has suggested do a day here and there with breaks in between..or..ride in morning, catch public transport home, next day public transport into work then ride home

but good luck to you

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:07 am

hey gretaboy - looks like we may have some competition

Kuufu

Postby Kuufu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

I was considering starting on Fridays because i finish early on Friday so even for a long ride I can still get home at a decent time. Until I get fit enough and my commute time under 2 hours I could do it more often. Commuting everyday by bike would be fantastic due to the fuel and toll savings.

My other issue is the route. Doesn't matter which path I take, somewhere towards the city I'm going to have to ride a long stretch on the roads. I guess that's just the way it has to be. I'll just have to work out a path using alot of backstreets.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Which eastern suburb are you riding too? Plenty of options depending on location

Kuufu

Postby Kuufu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Well my route will always take me to Anzac Bridge, then over Pyrmont Bridge, then William St all the way through New South Head Rd up to Watson's Bay. The city area and further east isn't an issue, just once heading out north west it becomes tricky. That hill just after Rose Bay is a killer though.

I think I've figured out a possible path. After the Anzac bridge go down Victoria Rd turning off at Ryde St, Buffalo Rd, Blaxland Rd, Beecroft Rd then Castle Hill Rd and Showground Rd.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Kuufu wrote:Well my route will always take me to Anzac Bridge, then over Pyrmont Bridge, then William St all the way through New South Head Rd up to Watson's Bay. The city area and further east isn't an issue, just once heading out north west it becomes tricky. That hill just after Rose Bay is a killer though.

I think I've figured out a possible path. After the Anzac bridge go down Victoria Rd turning off at Ryde St, Buffalo Rd, Blaxland Rd, Beecroft Rd then Castle Hill Rd and Showground Rd.
What suburb are you coming from? I am commuting daily from Dural to Nth Sydney, and that is 26km each way. The city is an extra 4km on top of that. Without looking at the map, I get the feeling your route is a bit longer than it needs to be. If your ultimate destination is along Showground Rd, I think you are going too far north and then doubling back. There could be some opportunities to reduce that total distance to something more manageable.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Kuufu

Postby Kuufu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm coming from Beaumont Hills. My route would take me down a short ride down Windsor Road, then onto Showground Road. Then the path I mentioned all the way to South Head at Watson's Bay. Even by Line of Sight the distance is 35km so I guess theres not much I can do to reduce the distance. 50kms seems to be the shortest I can get it while keeping the route simple.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Kuufu wrote:I'm coming from Beaumont Hills. My route would take me down a short ride down Windsor Road, then onto Showground Road. Then the path I mentioned all the way to South Head at Watson's Bay. Even by Line of Sight the distance is 35km so I guess theres not much I can do to reduce the distance. 50kms seems to be the shortest I can get it while keeping the route simple.
Best wishes on your commute. I find its good to vary your routes have a great ride. Each day can be adventure in the traffic stay safe.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I did just under 45kms this morning, and doing that each way is a massive effort (though I did go up some decent climbs on purpose). still unless it's flat as a tack, it'll definitely take some effort, fitness, time and perseverance.

look forward to you logging a few commutes.

Kuufu

Postby Kuufu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I did try it on a hybrid a few weeks ago and I tell you what... it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Especially towards the end there are some killer hills and my legs were already running on empty. The only thing that got me home was the fact that I actually had to get home. By the end of it my average had fallen to 14 km/h and I wanted to die. I took a shower straight away then fell into bed. The next day I couldn't walk up or down stairs properly. I couldn't even sit on a chair or even on the toilet properly.

Mind you I hadn't been riding very long and my standard average speed was 18 km/h. Now its around 27 km/h over a ride of anywhere between 20km and 50km and I fatigue much less. I will soon be in posession of a nice road bike too so hohpefully that 100km round trip won't be so painful.

Thanks for the advice guys, I might even see you out there closer to the city, even if I don't realise it. :)

Happy Riding.

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm just imagining having to change a rear tyre every month and a groupset once a year if I was commuting 100km a day :shock: :shock:

On the bright side - 500km a week is pretty much getting towards pro training mileage, so in a couple of years you could be the next Cadel???
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 am

Kuufu wrote:I did try it on a hybrid a few weeks ago and I tell you what... it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Especially towards the end there are some killer hills and my legs were already running on empty. The only thing that got me home was the fact that I actually had to get home. By the end of it my average had fallen to 14 km/h and I wanted to die. I took a shower straight away then fell into bed. The next day I couldn't walk up or down stairs properly. I couldn't even sit on a chair or even on the toilet properly.

Mind you I hadn't been riding very long and my standard average speed was 18 km/h. Now its around 27 km/h over a ride of anywhere between 20km and 50km and I fatigue much less. I will soon be in posession of a nice road bike too so hohpefully that 100km round trip won't be so painful.

Thanks for the advice guys, I might even see you out there closer to the city, even if I don't realise it. :)

Happy Riding.
If you can keep it up, when the M2 reopens to Cyclists you will have a pretty direct & cruisy ride for a large part of your ride.

I had to ditch the Hybrid bike after I moved to Dural. It was just killing me with all the hills! The road bike will make a massive difference.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 am

EDIT

Was supposed to be in a different thread. Sorry, I posted it using my (not so) smart phone
Last edited by KonaCommuter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Oppy A4

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:09 am

I have a similarly long ride over here in the west. I drive to my mates place and leave the car at his place and commute from there. Less daunting and I can do it more days a week.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Build slowly, over 3 months. I was doing 90km a week every week, then tried to go up 210 and I was getting sick. 90km a day is not going to be realistic. Go one way Monday, take 2 days off, get the bike home Thursday. Go for a ride on Saturday. Repeat for a month.

Check out Bikely or ridethecity sites for some route suggestions.