Blowout, bent wheel, broken spokes

TasAndy

Blowout, bent wheel, broken spokes

Postby TasAndy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Hello all.
I have a new(not so anymore) Giant xtc2. Today on a ride i had a puncture which was easily fixed with a new tube, about 20km later I stopped to have a chat to someone and cabooom that same rear tyre exploded big time, now I have a bent wheel and 3 broken spokes, bummer.
Now I would like to know what caused all this? did the blowout bend my wheel and break spokes? because this wheel is really quite bent, i surely would not have been riding on it like that.
but why the blowout? overpressure?
all the tape in the wheel is perfect and untouched so I doubt a broke spoke triggered it all?

Also what is the likely repair to this? i would say the wheel is had it, will they re spoke and rim my hub? and is this something they would do the day i walk through the door with a bent wheel cause i wanna keep riding this fantastic bike!

Thanks to anyone who can help me..

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Were you actually stopped - or just stopping - when the tyre went? Not that it makes much difference, because I've no idea why it would go like that - unless it was way over-inflated.
You can a new wheel bhilt using your hub pretty readily. A couple of forumites would suggest that you should get a rim and some spokes and do it yourself :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I've never heard of a tube damaging the rim and spokes. Seems more likely that it was already damaged.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Doubt a blowout would cause rim and spoke damage. Either it already was buckled (which could also cause the blowout), or you rolled a bit more and hit other things after blowing out. Running on a flat is a sure way of damaging rims.

TasAndy

Postby TasAndy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Nah its seriously bent, like rubs on the frame bent! i was not riding on it like that, thats for sure. I rolled to a stop for a chat from about 20-25kmh on the road, after being stopped for 20 or so seconds, caboome!! one of the broken spokes was even poking through a hole in the disc, so it could not have been rotating like that.

TasAndy

Postby TasAndy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm

sniper?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:13 pm

TasAndy wrote:sniper?
A friend of mine tells a true story of embarking on a cycle tour to Broken Hill. Somewhere out in remote NSW he set up a bush camp and had retired for the night. He was suddenly woken by the sound of his tyre blowing out. He stuck his head out of the tent to see a bright light shining, and then a shot passed close by him :shock:

He started SCREAMING out "stop shooting" and lay flat! Then he heard someone say "!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, it's a cyclist". Followed by the sound of a car roaring off.

In the morning he discovered his tyre flat, but also a bullet hole through the rim! The shooters had probably picked out his wheel reflectors and thought they had a 'bonza roo' in the crosshairs :roll:

He had to wheel the bike back to the nearest town, and organise a bus ride home. End of tour :cry:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Probably had some spoke damage or rim damage and it snapped suddenly - then the rim bends and breaks the other two spokes.

Blowouts can be caused by the tube bulging out between the bead and the rim, if the bead isn't seated properly or if it is damaged. So possibly rim bends - bead unseats - tyre blows out.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:03 pm

G'day TasAndy,

Welcome to the forum. Yours is one of the most bizarre blowouts I've ever heard of.

What tyre pressure were you running? (That's pretty important in this case - pressure that was too high could be the culprit) Do you have any photos of the rim and tyre to share? What brand and model rims and tyres did you have (I would assume they are the stock ones ....)? Had you just ridden down a very steep hill on the brakes? Did the nipples pull away from the spokes, or did they stay attached?

My theory, and it's based on very limited data, is that you pumped the tyre up way too high when you fixed the flat. When it let go, it was the rim that failed to take the pressure applied from within and it split, allowing the spokes to pull free. With the failed tension in the spokes, the rim will bend.

Send me some links to any photos you have and I'll post them for you (since you don't have enough posts or time on the board yet.)

It could be a warranty job if the rim is faulty, but it probably won't be. That really depends on how it happened an how good your relationship is with the LBS. Personally, I'd just build a new wheel, but I like nice stuff .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....