cycling shoes for the exploring tourist?

RonK

Re: cycling shoes for the exploring tourist?

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 am

elStado wrote:Good thread. Bookmarked. Now I have my VWR I need to get a pair of SPD shoes to go with the Shimano M505s that came with the bike.

Similar to the OP I am looking for a pair of shoes that are comfortable and effective both on and off the bike as I'd like to be able to do some short hikes while exploring each area I tour to. Nothing major, maybe 6-8km walks over a variety of terrain. I'll be taking a pair of Sanuk 'Sidewalk Surfers' with me for wearing around the camp site etc.

I'm also blessed with wider feet, E/W usually depending on the style.

I had the Northwave bookmarked as Wiggle were selling them, however, as RonK mentioned, they are now not being sold any more.

Not wearing sandals no matter how comfortable they might be.
The Northwave Drifter seems to be the current incarnation of the Expedition which I have, with Vibram sole and Goretex membrane. Also available is the Mission - a little cheaper but no Goretex.

I think Rifraf bought the Drifters, so perhaps he can give to feedback about how they are performing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 pm

RonK wrote:The Northwave Drifter seems to be the current incarnation of the Expedition which I have, with Vibram sole and Goretex membrane. Also available is the Mission - a little cheaper but no Goretex.

I think Rifraf bought the Drifters, so perhaps he can give to feedback about how they are performing.
The Goretex ones look good. I assume this will negate/reduce the need for shoe covers while riding? Sounds alright as long as it still breathes enough.

Lot's of neg feedback about sizing for these shoes. I'd buy shoes locally if they actually stocked shoes like this and were at a reasonable price..
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:08 pm

elStado wrote:
RonK wrote:The Northwave Drifter seems to be the current incarnation of the Expedition which I have, with Vibram sole and Goretex membrane. Also available is the Mission - a little cheaper but no Goretex.

The Goretex ones look good. I assume this will negate/reduce the need for shoe covers while riding? Sounds alright as long as it still breathes enough.

Lot's of neg feedback about sizing for these shoes. I'd buy shoes locally if they actually stocked shoes like this and were at a reasonable price.
Yes, the GTX does a good job of keeping my feet dry. I've had no problems with breathability.

There are a couple of comments that the sizing is small - but this is the opposite to my experience with the Expedition GTX, which I found true to my usual size (length and width wise) andquite roomy, which is what I want from a shoe that I'm going to cycle and walk in all day every day while on tour.

OTOH I had previously bought a pair of Shimano shoes, a size larger than my usual size but they are too narrow so I can't wear them. If anyone is interested in a pair of near new Shimano MT60's in size 47 (which should suit someone who normally takes size 45) then I am open to reasonable offers.

I believe Baalzamon had the same problem with Shimano and opted for Northwave Lizzard shoes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

RonK wrote:
I believe Baalzamon had the same problem with Shimano and opted for Northwave Lizzard shoes.
Yep I had a problem with too narrow shoes with Shimano. Not sold on the Northwave Lizzard either mind you. Yes they are wider, but are they wide enough? I haven't done a long enough ride to find out, but they appeared fine on touring for 100km days
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:18 pm

RonK wrote:OTOH I had previously bought a pair of Shimano shoes, a size larger than my usual size but they are too narrow so I can't wear them. If anyone is interested in a pair of near new Shimano MT60's in size 47 (which should suit someone who normally takes size 45) then I am open to reasonable offers..
I have a pair of Shimano road shoes which are 45 and they are okay, but looking at the box I should have gone with 46. If you want to PM what you consider is a reasonable offer I might take a punt if I don't go with sandals.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Andrew I don't know if your aware or not on our Esperance to Perth tour, there was a number of times I had to stop and take my shoes off due to my feet not liking the shimano shoes. I have not had that problem yet with my Northwave Lizzard from Perth - Esperance but my daily mileage was lower than the other tour
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Andrew I don't know if your aware or not on our Esperance to Perth tour, there was a number of times I had to stop and take my shoes off due to my feet not liking the shimano shoes. I have not had that problem yet with my Northwave Lizzard from Perth - Esperance but my daily mileage was lower than the other tour
Thanks for that. Not a good look. I now believe they weigh over 1 kg which is also another negative.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:11 pm

RonK wrote: I think Rifraf bought the Drifters, so perhaps he can give to feedback about how they are performing.
Sort of happy with the Drifters.
Next time I might buy the next size up.
Seem fairly good for width (long as I use very thin socks)
Not a lot of room for my tall arches.
The tongue is pretty much at the full extent of its reach and where it would normally fold down
slightly at the sides at the top of the shoe, mine doesn't.
I've just cut my toe nails.
Before I did this I was thinking the shoes a little short.
Today they are actually feeling fine so I may be ok with this sizing.
I done over 1000km over the last few weeks on my tour combined with lots of walking
and pushing the bike over rough road detors and into heavy head winds.
No blisters at all.
I find I'm unsure how best to wash off the road grime and dust that has accumulated on them.
Being black they show this.
My first step will be to rinse them off under mild hose pressure.
I'm hesitant using any chemicals/cleaners which might cause problems with the Gortex membrane.
There was no care instructions in the box with my shoes.
I'd like to add a activated charcoal liner as they already stink and my tinea has returned due to my feet, so used
to thongs now, are spending so much time now in the shoes.
I'm unsure if I've room in mine for a liner - I will buy one to try though. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 pm

rifraf wrote:I find I'm unsure how best to wash off the road grime and dust that has accumulated on them.
From http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellit ... structions

Clean the exterior with a cloth or brush and lukewarm water. The manufacturer may recommend leather treatment or preservation. Shake out sand, gravel, and dirt from inside the footwear. Remove and shake out the foot bed if applicable....We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can affect the footwear's breathability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Any thoughts on the Shimano MT71 shoe? Looks alright, well reviewed, has GoreTex membrane and a Vibram sole, and goes for around $135 shipped.

http://www.this link is broken/shimano-mt71-go ... ing-shoes/

Just not sure how it would be for my slightly wider than normal feet, I've heard from a couple of people that Shimano shoes generally are a little narrow. Might be able to order a size up to compensate?
RonK wrote:The Northwave Drifter seems to be the current incarnation of the Expedition which I have, with Vibram sole and Goretex membrane.
Just FYI for anyone interested, these shoes are on sale (AT) Evans for $88 in limited small sizes (EU 36-41).

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... e80a83419b

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 am

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about footwear while touring. I've got a pair of near-new Asolo Vertigo GV Gore-Tex Trail Shoes that I bought in 2010 and wore while I was travelling in Europe that year. They are pretty good for light hiking and outdoor trails, full goretex membrane and vibram sole. Sole is pretty stiff and has good ankle support.

I just had a thought about how effective and comfortable it would be to tour with these shoes and some new style foot retention straps with wide platform MTB/BMX pedals (e.g. BO Gear 'strap ons'). Means that I have the benefit of being strapped in while also having a pair of sturdy and comfortable shoes to go walking around at each location. The straps are expensive ($65 delivered from BO Gear) plus another $30-40 for some suitable pedals, so it isn't really saving me anything financially. Just might be a more versatile option. I've made some of these straps before when I had a fixie so I could probably make a better pair like the BO Gear version for around $30 in materials and 2-3 hours of my time.

I want to go to a few bars and restoration while I am touring, especially if I pass through Denmark (e.g. Noma restaurant). So I am struggling to think how I will be able to get by as I'll need at least one set of good clothes to wear out as those Northerners are very snobbish when it comes to appearance.. really don't want to carry around a set of dress clothes with me the whole trips just to go out a few times though. I hate the idea of carrying excess weight but I also hate the idea of missing out on things while travelling due to lack of gear.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 am

Don't the Danes do formal-wear hire?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 am

il padrone wrote:Don't the Danes do formal-wear hire?
I wont be needing a suit.. a nice pair of pants, l/s collared shirt and dress shoes should do the trick. Still it's only something I'll be wearing a few times through the trip. WestcoastPete recently did a tour with powerstraps and platform pedals, so I'm looking forward to hearing huis post-tour thoughts on this approach.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:46 am

So are you planning to cycle in dress shoes, or will they be your second pair? If they are a second pair, it matters little whether the other shoes are SPDs or trail-runners with straps. If you are going to cycle in them, they won't be looking too sharp on the night :wink:

For your dressy clothing I'd be looking at getting something like these and packing the clothing in a neat, pressed state. They can sit in your pannier for the duration and come out looking fresh and formal. The dress shoes are something that you may be able to get from formal hire places :?:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 pm

elStado wrote:Any thoughts on the Shimano MT71 shoe? Looks alright, well reviewed, has GoreTex membrane and a Vibram sole, and goes for around $135 shipped.

Just bought a pair of these babies for a tad over $120 delivered ex-Evans cycles. I was umming and ahhing about going power grips and my Asolo shoes over a pair of SPD MTB/touring shoes. However in the end I decided that I would give these shoes a crack and see what they are like as I have never used cleated shoes before. I'll be using my super light and compact Sanuks 'sidewalk surfers' for off-bicycle wear around town and at the pub. If they aren't what I want I will just sell them and go with plan B (power grips). Will be adding a review on my blog in due course, should get these shoes (plus the rest of my order) next week. I have been pretty lucky with ordering shoes online as I have precise measurements of my feet and I read all the comments relating to size/fit. I usually take a ~43 (my Asolo shoes are 43 2/3) so I went with a 44 of this shoe which should work out well with regular thickness socks. I have thicker and thinner socks too if I need to get it fitted better.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 pm

I've found my tinnea has gone wild between my toes from wearing Northwave Drifter shoes every day.
I'm hesitant to try foot powder in case it mucks up the gore-tex breathability although from the smell I doubt that
they are doing much breathing at all currently.
When I'm around camp for long enough to warrent it, I put on thongs (jandals).
Hopefully this gives them an air out opportunity. :oops:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 am

There's a pair of Keen Commuter size 45 in Mountain Designs Perth if anyone is interested. $90.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:57 am

elStado wrote:
elStado wrote:Any thoughts on the Shimano MT71 shoe? Looks alright, well reviewed, has GoreTex membrane and a Vibram sole, and goes for around $135 shipped.

Just bought a pair of these babies for a tad over $120 delivered ex-Evans cycles. I was umming and ahhing about going power grips and my Asolo shoes over a pair of SPD MTB/touring shoes. However in the end I decided that I would give these shoes a crack and see what they are like as I have never used cleated shoes before. I'll be using my super light and compact Sanuks 'sidewalk surfers' for off-bicycle wear around town and at the pub. If they aren't what I want I will just sell them and go with plan B (power grips). Will be adding a review on my blog in due course, should get these shoes (plus the rest of my order) next week. I have been pretty lucky with ordering shoes online as I have precise measurements of my feet and I read all the comments relating to size/fit. I usually take a ~43 (my Asolo shoes are 43 2/3) so I went with a 44 of this shoe which should work out well with regular thickness socks. I have thicker and thinner socks too if I need to get it fitted better.
Just posted a review of my cycle touring shoes on my blog:

http://velophileaustralia.wordpress.com ... ycle-shoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;