2012 World Track Championships in Melbourne

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Who's going? ... selling out quickly, and with London coming up will be an exciting event.
Cycling is in my BNA

JV911

Re: 2012 World Track Championships in Melbourne

Postby JV911 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 pm

The Poms just did a 3:54 in the teams persuit (quali)

Cycle:Team pursuit opens world cycling titles

Men's team pursuit arch-rivals Australia and Great Britain will be the squads to beat on day one of the world track cycling championships in Melbourne.

The worlds have started this afternoon with qualifying for the men's team pursuit.

The Australians are world champions and they'll be the last to post a time.

Australians ANNA MEARES and KAARLE McCULLOCH will defend their team sprint title tonight, while the other events on the day one programme are the men's team sprint and men's scratch race.

AAP RTV rhv/jds
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Aus 3:54
Russia & NZ 3:59
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Going Sat arvo, wanted to go for the night also but have to get the kids home.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Parrott wrote:Going Sat arvo, wanted to go for the night also but have to get the kids home.
Nice, enjoy :)

Bummer about the men's pursuit, they certainly had a crack. Took a WR to beat them.
FPR Ragamuffin

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Chuck wrote:
Parrott wrote:Going Sat arvo, wanted to go for the night also but have to get the kids home.
Nice, enjoy :)

Bummer about the men's pursuit, they certainly had a crack. Took a WR to beat them.
Thanks, looking forward to it. :)

Didn't realise sbs 2 had the cycling on and turned over just in time to see the poms on the top step. Bugger I was hoping our lads would clean em up. They will certainly be aiming to reverse the result in Aug now.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Andrew Tennant sat out in the final for Great Britain, replaced by Steven Burke, while there was no change to the Australian line up of Jack Bobridge, Glenn O'Shea, Rohan Dennis and Michael Hepburn.

Interesting tactic, given they were only separated by 1/10th of a second were Burke's fresher legs the difference?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:31 pm

The kilo on tonight. Great event, easy for the casual observer to understand, should have never been dropped from the Olympic program.
FPR Ragamuffin

vander

Postby vander » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Was it just me or was that Womens points race one of the worst tactical race they have seen. The tactics by the favorites were terrible.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I agree, Vander!

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am

Chuck wrote:The kilo on tonight. Great event, easy for the casual observer to understand, should have never been dropped from the Olympic program.
It was good, I liked the analogy between it and the 400m running race, raw speed and endurance needed. I liked the different results of smaller gearing and fast start but tending to fade at the end, v taller gearing slower start but better last lap.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 pm

On the second Day, the two events that caught my eye for tactics and gearing.
Omnium Men's Points race with the Italian Elia Viviani, who was consistant and well positioned,
always, throughout. And he was able to gain the lap over a tired looking O'Shea (overgeared IMO)
... gears being very important (#1) in points races.
And the Elimination in which Bryan Coquard looked nippy to the overgeared and tired
looking O'Shea who seemed to use too much of his energies being up front.
Coquard's tactics were reminiscent of how I liked to approach eliminations, tactically.
Glenn O'Shea has been consistent, overall in the Omnium, and despite my opinion
of his being overgeared, we hope he can continue. Omnium being a great all-rounder event.
For me, these were the most interesting Events of the night.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:48 pm

I didn't notice the gearing at all in the omnium, too busy trying to work out the tactics in an unfamiliar environment. I'll keep an eye out.

vander

Postby vander » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Bourgain got over Hoy in the 1/8 sprints interesting. Hoy got through the repecharge however.

osrg

Postby osrg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Big choke by Anna Meares in the Semi's.... DQ'd in the 2nd heat, threw the 3rd away.

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:03 pm

osrg wrote:Big choke by Anna Meares in the Semi's.... DQ'd in the 2nd heat, threw the 3rd away.
If you took the "Officials" as the third competitor out of the equation, most results were obvious.
And as you say Meares threw the 3rd away, with no need to go outside the sprintline.
Pendleton was lucky, and the story of the night in the Women was the Lithuanian Simona Krupeckaite,
who was the best in the final, and the decision against her, misguided. But that's the Sprint.

Perkins was lucky, and Bourgain was better on the night (and the darkhorse). Shane may have moved
through, but think that may be about it (maybe the car-clash did have an effect).
It's now down to who will meet Gregory Bauge in the Final, in my opinion.

Sprint Championships, have been entertaining so far and will be for sure. 8)
Cheers

vander

Postby vander » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Brentono: What do you think those sprinters are racing on, is it just me or does it look like they are on big gears, it looks like they are on around 50-14s.

Surprised Vicky could get up she seemed to get better and better IMO. That saying she should of lost second round to Meares.

vander

Postby vander » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Hepburn just did a 4:13 in the indiv pursuit qualifying. Beating Bobridge. Aussies qualify 1,2,3

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Awesome to watch, never really watched indoor before, bloody exciting to watch :D and Giddy up O'Shea :D
Happy Days

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 am

cam meyer in one of the greatest points race evah, surely?

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 am

jules21 wrote:cam meyer in one of the greatest points race evah, surely?
Without a doubt. And he was so genuinely stoked with the win. Can't wait for tonight.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:52 am

i will admit, i was yelling at the tv in the points race to get meyer there.... he mustve heard me!! such a great race.. aaron gate the kiwi bloke deserved a medal for helping meyer out... and meyer owes him a carton or two!!!

but the highlight / shock for me was watchin hepburn be down 1.9secs on bobridge and come back and win their final!!!
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

brentono

Postby brentono » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:42 pm

vander wrote:Brentono: What do you think those sprinters are racing on, is it just me or does it look like they are on big gears, it looks like they are on around 50-14s.
Your probably correct on average= 50x14 as the Arena appears to be a very fast Track.
But I don't think it's just black&white. Different riders and situations would see the
gearing vary. The key in gear choice is the riders "ability" to handle that particular gear.
In the qualifying, most riders would be up a point (or even 2?) on normal, as it is a TT.
Though this would be debateable, as being worthwhile, to gain time, depending on the rider.
A rider that can handle (pedal) lower gears, well, has the ability to move up (but not vise-versa FME)
Riders, that are not handling the selected gear, tend to move a lot, causing sprintline infringements.
Bauge is a great example of a rider, that can handle both gearings (L/H), and with a very smooth pedal
action, shows great bike control under pressure, and can hug the sprinter's-line, as smooth as silk.
It's something to observe closely, and something for up and coming Sprinters to train at, and to perfect.
(though it wasn't strictly supervised, in my day, it was something I personally perfected for reason)
In the future this may be something the AIS, may need to take a look at. IMO.

Sad that we didn't get the decider, in the Men's Final. But the result would have been the same. IMO
Cheers

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:02 pm

I just have to say this, the SBS telecast is brilliant (take note Channel 9, if you are actually bothered watching), Held together by Mike T, Matthew Keenan and David Mackenzie (apologies for spelling if its needed), the technicalities of track racing have become second nature to the casual observer (the better half).
What with the upcoming SBS broadcasts of the euro classics, we should all be firing of an email to SBS thanking them for their comittment to cycling.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 pm

timbo wrote:we should all be firing of an email to SBS thanking them for their comittment to cycling.
Couldn't agree more and exactly what I did last week.
FPR Ragamuffin