Transporting MTBs to the UK

bock'd

Transporting MTBs to the UK

Postby bock'd » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:17 am

I am relocating to the UK in July and would love to take my wife on a tour around the isles when we get there (without waiting two months for them to arrive on a boat). After looking through the forums and making inquiries through our airline, it is extremely costly to transport your beloved bike...

The costs break down like this:
1. excess baggage over tare 20kg weight is at a premium $48/kg when taking on board (for 2 bikes = expensive). others mentioned in this forum about fixed price baggage, but this I haven't found when contacting the airline.
2. sending through an unaccompanied baggage service in Sydney weighs in at a minimum 100kg (AT) $8 per kilo (plus customs and freight for 2 bikes = expensive).

To save a few dozen phone calls and emails, can anyone suggest a good method for getting two bikes overseas for sub-$500, or is this not possible?

Thanks very much!

dct

Postby dct » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm sure you've already sussed all this out, but just in case, there are two options I'm aware of.

1. Virgin via Hong Kong

Virgin Atlantic claim on their website that they will carry a bike (sporting equipment) in addition to your normal checked baggage allowance at no cost.

This approach also minimises the number of times the bikes are handled, as it is the same plane all the way to Heathrow.

2. DIY via USA

I've just done this to move in the other direction, bringing my family home from the UK. Each person has at least 2 x 23Kg luggage i.e. more than double the asian routes. To make this cost competitive, I used Virgin from London to Las Vegas, ATA from Las Vegas to Hawaii, Jetstar back to Sydney. Unfortunately, my bikes did attract a USD50 charge per bike with ATA as they were too large. I guess you might be able to pack a mountain bike small enough to avoid this charge.

Cheers

David

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:58 pm

I think you mean 2 times 32kgs.

dct

Postby dct » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi

I did mean 2 x 23Kg, unfortunately many long-haul carriers have dropped the old 2 x 32Kg (70lbs x 2) allowance to replace it with 2 x 23Kg (50lbs x 2). Jetstar still allow 2 x 32Kg, but both ATA and Virgin restricted my allowance to 2 x 23Kg.

AirNZ also now restricts economy to 2 x 23Kg sadly. I think Qantas is still 2 x 32Kg, but I'm not certain.

Still a lot better than 1 x 20Kg, if you can put up with the longer haul flight.

Cheers

David

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:59 pm

thats a pain...i thought it was a US law that you are entitled to 2 peices of luggage up to 32kgs each.I am going to France next month and between the 4 of us 80kg's will have to do...and last us for 8 weeks till our container turns up.1 bike will hace to do!...might try and squeeze in a spare rear wheel :wink:

JG1

Postby JG1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 pm

It used to be law, but the US Government is changing all the policies. Don't be surprised to see a global staandard along the lines of Economy 20kg, Business 30kgs and First 40kgs.

If it is not too late I can assist you or provide some advice with delivering your bikes.

Let me know