Centurion Appreciation Society

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Cobbled up this weekend from the motliest collection of parts - all things I wouldn't use on other bikes (no slight on the Centurion frame, it's actually pretty nice Tange Infinity from Taiwan). The 10 speed campagnolo cranks are out of place but meh, they look nice and I'm unlikely to use them on anything else. Was a sort-of "easter challenge" to see if I could build a bike without visiting a bike shop. I ended up having to cheat because the bars I was going to use didn't fit the stem I had, so once I cannibalised the bars and brakes off another (not currently ridden) project I didn't feel too bad.

Exage hubs/7 speed cassette on Araya 700c rims, 3ttt bars and stem from my ghetto fixie (back to flop'n'chops for that bike), Suntour Honor(?) rear derailleur and suntour stem shifters adapted for downtube use by cannibalising some very awful plastic Shimano shifters from another bike. Campagnolo Mirage brake levers. Stock Centurion saddle (very turbo). Rack and bags from my old commuter that I was ashamed to ride in the rain because it's too nice to ruin. No-name dual pivot brakes again from the ghetto fixie. Ghetto fixie I have decided to go full internet fixie-man on because it was too tasteful the way it was set up. I like this centurion a lot as a goods hauler, just have to find a front rack to fit it.

Now, post some good ones!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

hitchhiker

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Nice work getting the Cavaletto back on the road
drubie wrote: Now, post some good ones!
I've got a Centurion sitting in the corner of the garage but it fails the "good one" test :)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 pm

thumbs up to thread idea, drubs... nothing to contribute, but love the sentiment...
(flicking through my wardrobe of 80s Ricardo/Leisure Product frames for similar purpose)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 pm

hitchhiker wrote:Nice work getting the Cavaletto back on the road
drubie wrote: Now, post some good ones!
I've got a Centurion sitting in the corner of the garage but it fails the "good one" test :)
You should never have sold me this one Hitchiker - I did have some grandiose plans for it that involved Fulcrums and a 10 speed campagnolo setup but I had a sudden hankering for downtube shifters and I realised the 7 speed cassette was in serviceable nick so wanted to use it. I suck at downtube shifters though, nearly lost the tip of my finger changing gear this arvo :oops: :D
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Here's mine, it's an early Pro Tour that I scored off ebay. It was poorly listed with bad photos and I wasn't exactly sure of what it was until I came across some pics of a Pro Tour when I was researching different Tange tube sets.

As I got it:

Initial cleanup/rebuild:

I'm going to change the wheels to 700c with a front dyno, maybe indexed 10 speed barcons and some decent derailleurs.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Oooh, sweet Centurion xerlex - although I'm publically begging you to keep the suntour bar-end shifters on it, only because they're so cool (and useful). My centurion is getting some bar-ends as soon as I get liquid again - my older Europa commuter has them and outside of brifters there is nothing easier to use on a loaded bike.

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Nice bike xerlex. I'm starting to see a theme here, two Centurions fitted with racks and panniers, the retro of choice for commuters?
drubie wrote: You should never have sold me this one Hitchiker - I did have some grandiose plans for it that involved Fulcrums and a 10 speed campagnolo setup but I had a sudden hankering for downtube shifters and I realised the 7 speed cassette was in serviceable nick so wanted to use it. I suck at downtube shifters though, nearly lost the tip of my finger changing gear this arvo :oops: :D
Unfortunately that frame was far too big for me, it's much better with someone that can use it.

As nice as those Campagnolo cranks are, that bike needs Biopace!

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 pm

drubie wrote:Oooh, sweet Centurion xerlex - although I'm publically begging you to keep the suntour bar-end shifters on it, only because they're so cool (and useful). My centurion is getting some bar-ends as soon as I get liquid again - my older Europa commuter has them and outside of brifters there is nothing easier to use on a loaded bike.

Cheers! Don't get me wrong, I'm a total Suntour fiend and I'm stoked to have some suntour bar end shifters, but I was wanting to run indexed shifting on this (and a quick search tells me I'll probably be running 9 speed not 10). Unfortunately the original Cyclone mechs were both replaced with lower end Shimano and thrown out :(

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Nice solid bikes these. At the risk of being accused of hijacking the thread, I've got a 51cm Centurion Le Mans frame (Tange 2 tubes), fork and Bio-pace cranks I'm looking to offload ... if anyone's interested, flick me a PM.

Ben
Long day's journey into alt-bars

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Here is my 1975 Centurion Semi Pro. I have another one of these (1976) in very scruffy condition in the shed. My search for a mid 70's Centurion Professional in a 60cm continues....

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

hitchhiker wrote: As nice as those Campagnolo cranks are, that bike needs Biopace!
Retro cool, yes. In my box of "bits I bought from BNA", uh no. I may have to buy a 9 speed chain though, the 6 speed one with the exposed pins I found in shed #2 fouls on the outer chainring of a 10 speed when cross chained. Should I be shifting the big ring with my right hand?

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:Here is my 1975 Centurion Semi Pro. I have another one of these (1976) in very scruffy condition in the shed. My search for a mid 70's Centurion Professional in a 60cm continues....
DAYUM. Now *that* is nice.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 pm

mmm all first gen da in black. hubba hubba, mr rabbit!

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 am

Close with DA, but it is actually ( original) Cyclone gears, Gran Compe brakes, Sunshine hubs, SR royal bars, stem, post and cranks.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 am

:oops:

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Now to lower the tone, I present to you a Centurion Swagman. Given to me by a girlfriend in about 1991 to replace a Dodsun that was stolen from Uni (ignore the seat position, that was the only way I could squeeze on a kiddy seat)

This bike arrived at about the time that bikes ceased to be my main form of transport, I'd go as far as to claim it's likely to be the finest example of a Swagman that you could find...

This picture shows off the fetching speckled paint work
Last edited by hitchhiker on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:22 pm

drubie wrote:Image
Nice one Drubie. I like it. 8)

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Nothing wrong with that Hitchiker - looks as tidy as it is useable. I have a very similar looking Giant ATX frame - they look like they could be twins.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 pm

rkelsen wrote: Nice one Drubie. I like it. 8)
Someone made me an overly generous offer on it today at work...I am considering it even though I like the bike a lot the money could go towards funding some other projects that need finishing...

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm

swap out the crankset first! 8)

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Rogerrabbit, that is a nice looking bike. Better than the old Centurion Sid Patterson frame that i've got hanging around - it would have to be the dirtiest white bike ever.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Here is a Centurion Mountain Bike that i've got sitting in the shed. I bought it as a potential touring mountain bike build up. It's got braze ons everywhere. Its a MT 1800 with Tange Triple Butted Mountain Tubing.

Every time i ride it it reminds me of when i first started riding mountain bikes. Check out those handlebars :D

koen

Postby koen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Been keeping this bike for a while even though its way too small for me. Even found some porcupine tyres and a u brake to get it looking like the state of the art racer it was in 1989. Shimano did some good things with indexing but that U brake was heavy and less useful than canti's.
Paint scheme is close to original and managed to keep some of the decals when I touched up the frame

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:08 pm

I put the little Le Mans frame on the Marketplace thread if anyone is interested, or just wants to have a look at it.

IMG_3054 by benatherton71, on Flickr
Long day's journey into alt-bars

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Well I'm impressed seeing this thread. i was for a time going to get rid of my old Centurion Sport DLX (there's a thread from a couple of years back somewhere) but have made it into a fixie for riding around on the flat in Adelaide. It's old enough to have been a 10 speed with 120mm rear axle, and the best remaining feature is the "Centurion Cycle Works" badge on the head tube.
http://s736.photobucket.com/albums/xx7/ ... _badge.jpg
http://s736.photobucket.com/albums/xx7/ ... ugwork.jpg
Xerlex and Rogerrabbit might have the same badge but have not pictured their head tubes front on. 26.0mm seatpost, so not too light, but it has the right geometry to be a comfortable ride. I'll post picsof the bike now after I get back to work next week. There are nice comments by Sheldon Brown about Centurions - he wrote a section of his website about them. Mine I would guess was nearly the bottom level bike they offered - I scrapped all but the frame, forks and headstem. It's labelled "Made in Japan" on the bottom of the seat tube though. I like the silver pinstriping.